Boston area airport info needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of visiting the Boston area over Thanksgiving, and the cheapest flights I've found fly into Manchester, NH. I believe that's about an hour from Boston. Is this correct? Also, would I be able to find an inexpensive hotel for one night in Manchester (since I'll be getting in late) and then move on to Boston the following day? And, any suggestions for lunch/dinner in Boston on Thanksgiving day? I'd appreciate any tips you can give!
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 05:46 PM

Manchester is about an hour north of Boston. Maybe a little more. Can't recall any hotels near the airport but that's probably because I wasn't looking for them. But I can't image that there aren't any. As for dinner in Boston, there are so many restaurants to chose from. Try checking out phantomgourmet.com or chowhound.com for suggestions. Also boston.com. I don't know what your budget is but the Ritz Carlton or the Four Seasons would be nice traditional choices. Also the Blue Room in Cambridge would be nice for a Thanksgiving meal with a twist. Durgin Park in Quincy Market would be less expensive and more casual but still traditional. You would sit at communal tables which might be fun on Thanksgiving. There's also Morton's and the Capitol Grill.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, bennie! I appreciate those websites and will check them out. I have searched a little more and there are hotels in that area. I'm sure I can find something cheap/safe/clean for one night! Any more information out there??
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Dan

Is the price difference between Manchester and Boston that significant? If not, I'd recommend spending a little extra to fly into Logan and settling into a Boston hotel so you can start your trip early on day 2, rather than commuting from Manchester into the city.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 06:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with Dan. Especially should it snow, you could get stuck there. My suggestion for dining-
Henrieta's Table at the Charles Hotel.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

The price difference in flights is signficant, to me (over $120), and the Boston flight actually arrives even later than the Manchester flight. So, I don't mind getting to bed a little earlier and just heading into Boston the following morning. Thanks for more restaurant tips!

I'm from the South, so please forgive my ignorance, but does it usually snow in that area around Thanksgiving???
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 09:28 PM

It's not exactly the norm to have a major snowstorm that early, but it has happened. I live in MA, and we've already one minor snowfall. It didn't stick, as the ground isn't frozen.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 12:52 AM

While the above info you have received is sound, be aware that traffic around Boston area on Tues, Wed, Thurs of Thanksgiving week is horrific. This will add to the one hour estimate you have received. It could take an hour to get to metro Boston limits and another 1-2 hours to get into the city at real peak times. (We live 20 miles north of Boston and on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving it has taken my husband 2 1/2 hours to get home) Of course, by sceduling your departure time, you can improve your situation.

Likewise, airports will be packed - but in that regards Manchester, being a much smaller and more manageable airport, would likely be a better choice.

I checked on Expedia for Manchester Airport hotels - the cheapest one I found was $62 at a Super 8.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 02:52 AM

It's extremely unusual to have snow on Thanksgiving in the city itself, which often runs 10 degrees warmer than the suburbs at this time of year. So even if hte suburbs get snow, we ge rain. As the poster above mentioned, the suburbs have had a bit of snow alrady, whereas here in the city we haven't even had a killing frost yet.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 02:53 AM

Oops, also meant to support the advice about traffic being very heavy on Thanksgiving Day. Over the river and through the woods, and all that. The earlier you leave for Boston on Thursday morning the better!
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for more replies! My plan, right now, is to stay in Manchester on the first night and then head to Boston on a Wednesday and stay in Boston for 2 or 3 nights. We could then use the public transportation and not have to drive. I appreciate the warnings about traffic, though, and will give this all some more thought before making final decisions. Thank you!
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 07:49 AM

Everyone says the airports are a zoo and the traffic is horrendous around Thanksgiving, but we have not found that to be so.

Last year, we flew Manchester to Baltimore (leaving Tuesday) with no problems. The year before we flew Logan to Dulles, year before that Logan to Reagan, no problems (leaving the evening before Thanksgiving both times). But, timing is everything, so you just never know.

In the middle of the night, Manchester Airport to Boston (53 miles) would be an hour driving. Any other time is anyone's guess, but you will get there eventually.

As for lodging, there's a new Tage Inn right next to the Manchester Airport with rates under $100/night. You can book on their website (and allegedly save 30% over any other way of booking). Tage Inn is brand new and everyone I know who's stayed there raved.

It doesn't usually snow around Thanksgiving time, but it very well could.

Note that Boston is nearly surrounded by water and it's best to expect cold and windy, so you'll want to dress warmly enough to be comfortable while out and about.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 07:55 AM

In the Manchester NH area, consider the Tage Inn (www.tageinn.com), 1 mile from the airport. I stayed at their Boston area (Somerville) property and was impressed by the services provided. I don't think I'd suggest the Boston location to you tho, unless you were willing to spend some time taking the "T" (Orange Line) into town, not a very long ride, but the hotel is out in the suburbs. I've not stayed at any other Tage Inn, but would if my travels put me nearby. My Boston visit was not for sightseeing this time, so I didn't mind the out-of-way location.

I believe VERMONT TRANSIT (802-862-9671 800-552-8737) has service from the airport to South Station, Boston.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the information!