Boston Apartment Rental

Old Jun 19th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston Apartment Rental

I'm looking for an apartment in Boston for a week in Aug. If anyone has good recommendation with a particular unit or agency, please share the info. Also what are the more desirable areas in the city? We prefer to stay "in town" where we can walk to great restaurants. We will have a car, though, for the rest of the New England.

We are a family of 4 with 2 teenagers so 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms will be nice but it seems to be much harder to find 2 bathrooms.

Thanks in advance.

Old Jun 21st, 2007, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 09:49 AM

Look on Craig's List for Boston or Google short term rentals or corporate rentals Boston Brookline Cambridge. They are out there but not, obviously, as numerous as in resort areas. With teenagers, I would recommend Coolidge Corner (lots of shopping plus a great movie theater plus Trader Joe's), Harvard Square, or Back Bay.

I would not recommend the South End, Central Square, or Allston-Brighton in your particular case, though they all have advantages for other people.

Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

If you don't mind, would you elaborate on the reasons of not recommending South End, Central Square, or Allston-Brighton? I saw a few nice apartments in South End and their prices are a little higher so I thought it's a nicer area, no?
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 08:20 AM

This could be very controversial, but here it goes.

Most of the South End has beautiful architecture. Some parts of the South End are terrific, with $2 million plus condos for sale. But before the South End was gentrified, the city located several housing projects there. They remain. Safety varies enormously from street to street, and you can't tell until you are on the ground there what your address will be like. Brownstones and tree lined streets photograph well but do not necessarily a wonderful neighborhood make. If you know the neighborhood and have city street smarts, fine.

Central Square. Good: halfway between MIT and Harvard and an easy walk to each, an interesting walk to Harvard Square in particular. A mix of older housing and gentrification. Ethnically diverse and interesting. Generally safe along Mass Ave and north of Mass Ave. Not so good: generally safe south of Mass Ave, but there are housing projects, and any apartments close to the river are far from public transportation. This wouldn't be so bad, but on street parking is very difficult, even with a visitor's permit, which you have to get from city hall to park on the street at all. If I wanted to stay in Cambridge and didn't find something in Harvard Square area, I would look next to Inman Square, though it is not on the T, or Davis Square, which is just over the line in Somerville but right on the T. MIT has done an enormous amount of residential redevelopment, and none of what I have said applies to that.

Allston Brighton: tired, often rundown housing stock, heavily occupied by students with all the noise, litter, etc that goes along with that. Brighton is a great place to visit and is easy to get to from Coolidge Corner. Lots of ethnic diversity with many Russians and other East Europeans and Asians. Interesting shops and restaurants, especially Brazilian and Vietnamese. Lots of clubs and bars and entertainment. You just don't want to be renting there when the bars close at 2 AM and the party continues downstairs, though your teenagers may think it is great!

All these neighborhoods have their wonderful aspects and are worth visiting, but perhaps not for a short term stay by out of towners.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great analysis. I'll see if I can find something in
Coolidge Corner, Harvard Square, or Back Bay.

Old Jul 5th, 2007, 06:28 PM

any opinion on the waltham street/bradford street area??
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 03:35 AM

cathygreen asks: "any opinion on the waltham street/bradford street area??"

From a May, 2007, South End blog: "Crime statistics for the S.E. have gotten worse in the last year or so. Multiple muggings on Waltham Street, more and more car break-ins." I don't know what this is worth.

Old Jul 14th, 2007, 12:05 PM

WHile living in Boston we discovered the best place for family and friends to stay. It's a real secret! It's called 463 Beacon Streeg Guest House. http://www.463beacon.com/.

PERFECT perfect location for walking anywhere around Boston, very quaint street, just a street or two from Newbury and Boylston Streets - walk down Beacon Street and you're in the Boston Commons and Public Gardens. Amazing prices, some rooms have kitchens. Feels like a european B&B.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link to 463 Beacon Streeg Guest House. I'll check that out.

Has anyone have experience with "Boston Furnished Apartments | AAA Corporate Rentals"? http://www.furnishedapt.com/

Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:27 AM

escape-the-rain, Great tip! Thank you.