Boston Apartment Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in extremely early talks with someone about an apartment exchange -- probably in May. The building is the West End Place at Staniford and Causeway. Here's an image of the building:
http://tinyurl.com/3899cw

How might this be as an area for a couple of weeks? I've looked at a map and it seems it could be fine -- particularly as it is between several areas, but is there much in the "neighborhood". I've always stayed in the Copley or Newbury Street areas.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 04:20 PM
TKT

You will be about a 5 minute walk to Beacon Hill, about a 10 minute walk to the North End and Quincy Market and about a 5 minute walk to the subway. The immediate area itself is bland, but is a good location. There will also be convenience stores nearby. I would take it in a second
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, TKT. I sort of suspected as much. I've never done an exchange before, but I responded to a Craigslist ad from someone who is looking to exhange for a couple weeks for a Naples apt. as he's looking to buy a second home here. It's the first time I've ever seen such a request offering an apartment with a location I'd like, in a city I'd like, at the time of year I'd like. He's coming here for a few days in January and we'll discuss more then.

That round building is so unique, I immediately remembered walking past it, but not sure when or why -- perhaps a couple years ago when trying to figure out how to cross the big dig!!!
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 05:59 PM

I go by that building a lot, and I have friends who live in it. It's kind of a strange arrangement -- parts of it are welfare housing, and parts are rather expensive condos.

I agree that it's quite centrally located, and it's easy to get a lot of places from there. Although I think it's a little charitable to call the neighborhood "bland." I'd say it's a bit dingy, and deserted enough at night that I wouldn't be too psyched about going outside after dark. It would certainly be a different vibe than Copley or Newbury Street.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 01:15 AM

Agree with above - will certainly not be as pretty and active as Copley or Newbury - if price is right, go for it.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 04:53 AM

Hawksbill is too negative.

It is a complex of apartment towers in a park-like setting a la Le Corbusier. We wouldn't do it that way now, but it was popular in the 1970's.

Very generally and inaccurately in detail, the buildings are being condoed as tenants move out, and there are probably a few below-market apartments in the complex. But there are also many, many staff, permanent and visiting, from Mass General Hospital, which is right next door, and so people are coming and going 24 hours a day.

I agree with TKT. Go for it.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Welfare housing? I looked it up on a number of Boston real estate sites and found two rentals available from $1800 a month. I also found a couple of units for sale -- $400,000 to $600,000. I also saw a number of businesses, including a veterinarian in the building, but I didn't find anything about welfare housing.

The price would be "right" since it would be "free". We're talking about an exchange of our apartments for a couple of weeks.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 05:30 AM

Ackislander is thinking of an older complex built decades ago along Storrow Drive on most of the land that was formerly the West End tenement neighborhood.

The confusingly-named "West End Place" building is only about 10 years old and is located closer to Government Center and North Station.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 05:51 AM

I believe that what is meant in the "welfare housing" reference is that many newer buildings have to set aside 20% of units---if it is a rental property--that are rented to tenants who have Section 8 housing vouchers. This means that those tenants pay only 30% of their income for the rent and whichever housing authority administers the voucher pays the rest. These vouchers are only available to people with low income and/or those on social security disablity.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 06:15 AM

Yes, it sounds like Ackislander is referring to the massive Charles River Park development, which is a different thing. Now that we're talking about CRP, they have a lot of rental units, and I wouldn't be surprised if some are available as furnished, short-term rentals. That won't help NeoPatrick, who's looking for a short-term exchange rather than rental. But in case anyone else is interested, here's CRP's website: www.crpboston.com.

The building that we're actually talking about is quite new, and I would expect the apartments to be nice, although I've never been inside. My friends, who coincidentally moved to this building from their condo in CRP, have not expressed any complaints related to the presence of the subsidized housing units.

And as for the neighborhood, I don't want to give an overly negative impression. It's certainly not in the category of dangerous slum. As I said, just kind of dingy, a little deserted at night, with nothing appealing to do wihin at least a several-block radius, and some somewhat unsavory characters hanging around. I personally wouldn't feel unsafe living there, but it would probably have the effect of decreasing my nighttime ventures.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 06:31 AM

I was certainly thinking of Charles River Park (If You Lived Here, You'd Be Home by Now). Are we talking about the big building with the Giant Arch? If so, attractive on the outside and I would guess more danger from Bruins and Celtics fans than anyone else.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 06:43 AM

Yes, that's the one. The back of the building In question is adjacent to CRP, but it's not part of it, so one wouldn't be allowed to use their pool, gym, tennis courts, parking lots, etc.

It does look like a nice building, doesn't it? I remember being very curious about its purpose as I watched it being built a few years ago.

The building is next to whatever the Boston Garden is being called these days, and the area certainly does get overrun by Bruins or Celtics fans, some of whom frankly pose a bit of a danger after they've sufficiently filled up at one of the nearby very-low-cost drinking establishments And during the day, there seem to be plenty of workers from that government office building who keep the area crowded enough. But I'd be most uncomofortable on nights when there isn't a big sporting event (or after the big sporting event), when there aren't so many people around.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 07:06 AM

NeoPatrick: For the offer you might end up having - a free "exchange" of your condo in Naples for this one, I would say if the owner keeps it neat/clean inside then I would go for it. As you know, I am in Boston and if you wanted me to, I would be happy to go over and have an inside walk through before you finalize if that would help you decide.

No, I would not qualify it as quaint, charming, 'neighborhood-y' in the sense of areas of the South End, North End, Back Bay, etc - however, it is not a dangerous area and any of the aforementioned areas can be just as dicey at the wrong place, wrong time, wrong night, wrong turn -or have some characters hanging about - as we all know , that is true of anyplace, anytime. TKT described it best when saying "bland"

You aren't going to walk out your door and be passing one prime restaurant after another, or one amazing boutique after another - but you are not far from doing that just a few streets away either.

As long as you take a moment and become familiar with where to walk/not walk - some parameters, some better lit or frequented areas than others, you would be fine.

Plus, I doubt you and Lee will be walking home from dinner in the wee hours, so I think you will be fine.

Plus, should you decide to eat in certain other areas of the city, you may well decide to walk in that particular area to stretch before and after your meal, to enjoy another neighborhood a bit, and take a cab home when that works too.

I would not be concerned esp with the experiences and city knowledge in general that you and Lee have and in particular, from your more recent turn as "almost" native New Yorkers

Old Oct 29th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

OK, considering my neighborhood of choice in Manhattan is Hell's Kitchen, particularly along 9th Avenue which often gets "unsafe at night" warnings as well, I guess I shouldn't worry in the least.

Now to wait to see when this guy comes to Florida in January if he wants to exchange with me.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 07:20 AM

Exactly. Just think of that horrid area Passon's is in
Let us know how it works out and if you need me to take a look later.

Old Oct 29th, 2007, 07:37 AM

In that case, I think you'll be totally fine. The unsavories in the area won't be armed robbers and murderers, more like aggressive panhandlers, or hardcore drunks who down a few pints of vodka every 24 hours, may or may not have a home to stumble home to, may or may not just pass out on the street, and may or may not hassle you on their way to wherever they end up. You'll probably have little trouble deflecting them. Go for it.

By the way, isn't there some new moniker that we're all supposed to use for Hell's Kitchen these days? On of those "Nolita" type names that the real estate agents are trying to make stick? Maybe that's the one you should use in presenting your place to the apartment exchange guy.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

The "new" name for Hell's Kitchen is "Clinton", but frankly I don't think it seems to be catching on much.

Meanwhile, that's not what I'm exchanging for Boston -- but my Naples, Florida townhouse.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 07:56 AM

Now that all that is settled, would you like us to begin recommending restaurants?
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Not yet! In 7 months, there may be better ones! LOL
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 03:35 PM

Clinton?

It's definitely not working for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -