Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Boston and Maine - suggestions for restaurants and day trips?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are spending four days in Boston, followed by a week in Camden, Maine. I'm looking for suggestions for restaurants for both places and day trips from Camden.

We'll be traveling with two girls, ages 10 and 6, and a baby. The girls are pretty adventurous eaters. We like seafood, and, obviously, want casual places we can take the kids. Eating outside would be great, but we're up for anything.

I'm also looking for suggestions for day trips from Camden. We've never been to Maine, so again, we're up for anything. We know we'd like to see Acadia NP, and go on a boat ride. We're looking for other suggestions.

Thanks for the help.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Topping
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 06:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
In Boston, Th Barking Crap. Fridays, Summer Shack, places that won't bore the children.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 06:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Mimi, could that possibly be the Barking Crab? Well, that other thing wouldn't bore the children anyway.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 06:59 PM

LOL..rofl..Nikki, I am queen of typos!!
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 07:01 PM

Barking crab, Fridays, Summer Shack.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 05:02 AM

buttercup,

Since you say this is your first trip to Maine, let me warn you that Camden to Acadia is a slooowwww 75 miles. Mapquest allows 2hrs.+, and I think this is about right, perhaps even optimistic! This will put you in Acadia at the same time as all the other day-trippers, so expect traffic jams.

I'm not trying to discourage you from Acadia, we love it there and will be there in August for a week, just trying to help you know what to expect.

Have a good trip!
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 06:28 AM

While in Camden, visit their public library. It is a beautiful place and the children's librarian is wonderful, as is the children's section of the library. My then 9 yr old daughter and 5 yr old son loved it. The librarian schedules all kinds of great activities open to anyone. While we were there, she had a 'fairy story time', which included making fairy houses with all kinds of plant materials she had collected, and snacks for the kids. Even if nothing is going on, the park next to the library and the library itself are great to visit.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 06:30 AM

I forgot to mention we visited a state park pretty much right outside of Camden (I forget the name, but anyone there can tell you). You can drive or hike up, or a combination of both. At the top is a neat stone tower you can climb and wonderful views of Camden harbor.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 08:32 AM

cigalechanta - your typo is funnier than you know unless you remember the story about the Barking Crab from a few years ago.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 08:08 PM

Village Restaurant in downtown Camden is pretty good, and the Rockland Cafe a few miles south. North a bit, the Lobster Pound in Lincolnville is a great place for seafood.

The Maine State Museum is a great place to take kids that age on a rainy day, about an hour from Camden in the capitol city of Augusta.

In Belfast, about a half-hour north of Camden, there's an old fashioned movie palace with a neat ice cream parlor down the street.
Blueberry Hill in Belfast is a decent family restaurant, very casual.