Reload this Page >

Boothbay end of Sept.

Search

Boothbay end of Sept.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 10:50 AM
dynomite

Boothbay end of Sept.

We are flying into Portland Me end of Sept.and are thinking about staying for a few days in Boothbay on our way to NH.Is this a good place to stay for 3 days-Bar Harbor is probably too far north. Any suggestions on towns would by helpful.We are considering staying at Browns Harbor Wharf Has anyone stayed there? Where would be a good place to stop overnight on our way to Mt. Washington Hotel in NH.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 04:14 PM
Joanna

We were just in Boothbay in June and stayed at the Brown's Wharf Inn. We really enjoyed Boothbay and Brown's was very nice. All rooms over look the harbor. Ate at the lobster dock just down the street one night. The center of town is a nice walk over the foot bridge and there are plenty of restaurants and shops to browse. Take a trip to Ocean Point beautiful scenery about 10 mins by car and also out by the Spruce Point Inn. Both beautiful spots. We did a cruise on the Windjammer one afternoon and really enjoyed. Took a day trip up to Camden Maine and found it very picturesque. I am sure you will enjoy it.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 07:38 PM
Donna

Our favorite place to stay in Boothbay Harbor is the Tugboat Inn - because it has he best views of the "skyline" and the harbor. Also terrific is Ocean Point (with a variety of lodging, including cottages) in East Boothbay, where the sunsets are spectacular.

However, you may want to consider going South from Portland on your way to Bretton Woods, because from Boothbay or other points north the most direct route to Bretton Woods would be to backtrack to Portland before continuing on.

Ogunquit and Kennebunkport in Maine are both fabulous seaside destinations, with typical "gorgeous rocky coastlines", along with Portsmouth, NH.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 07:54 PM
Cyndy

We stayed at the Welch House Inn many years ago and it was nice w/ lovely views.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 08:07 AM
jersey

We enjoyed Boothbay - the shops & the lobster. We took a day trip to Monhegan Island. We went on a boat trip(Balmy DaysII), out of Boothbay. It is a natural Island with art studios,bed & breakfast places, and lots of nature. We saw whales and seals on our ride to the island(pay the extra $2.00 to take a ride around the island before heading back to Boothbay). It gives you a whole new perspective. We had packed a lunch and took a short walk to a cliff(165 feet above the sea) for a picnic. It was breathtaking.(There are a few restaurants and a market on the island). Search the web for the island and the boat for more info. We didn't get to venture far. So, we would love to return. I think you'll like it.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 03:26 PM
Kristin

Just returned from Boothbay Harbor in August. Don't know much about Sept. (heard it's beautiful), but wanted to get my recommendation in for lodging at The Welch House. Fantastic view of the harbor (ask for a room with a harbor view). Wonderful place, excellent breakfast, great owners. check it out on the internet. www.welchhouse.com OR www.welchhouseinn.com (not sure which one is right, but one of them is!!)

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Jackie

We stay at Brown's a couple of times a year so obviously we like it. Motel is old but extremely well maintained. Rooms are average size but the views are apectacular and we especially enjoy the activity at the marina. It's a nice walk to town and we like being on the quiet side of the harbor. You can also walk to 2 lobster pounds and the restaurant in the hotel is good if you keep it simple. Weather at the end of Sept could be warm but will probably be cool to chilly so pack accordingly.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 03:21 AM
2Travelers

Am sitting in a room at the Brown's Wharf Inn as I write -- 2 queen beds and balcony overlooking the very photogenic harbor for $130 a nite -- and one of the cleanest, best maintained motels we've ever encountered ... Good restaurant, too.

Lobstermen's Co-op a very short stroll away ... Lobster Dock a little farther ... Places to eat lobster abound, tho.

Had dinner at Fisherman's Wharf last nite -- excellent food and service.

We'll be back.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 12:36 PM
Lee Anne

My family visited at the end of July. We stayed in Southport (over the bridge from Boothbay) and I am glad we did. We stayed at the Ocean Gate Inn, which was not fancy but not so expensive either. It was more of a family place with lots to do on the premises like games, pool, canoes, etc. We ate at Robinson's Wharf just around the corner and it was great. We drove up from Boston and stayed in Camden, Southport, Freeport and Kennebunkport then headed back to Boston. All were great, albeit different, stops and a nice variety of places. We stayed at the Old Colony in Kennebunkport and loved it (although it wasn't cheap). We stayed at a Hampton Inn in Freeport which worked out fine. Have a great trip.