Booth Bay and lobster

Jul 13th, 2002, 06:29 PM
cj

Booth Bay and lobster

My husband & I will be staying in Booth Bay for 5 nights the end of July. We decided to make that our home base and take day trips from there, by car or boat. The post about lobster's molting this time of year makes me wonder if we'll be disappointed! I've appreciated reading all the tips on where to go and where to eat. Any suggested stops between Portland and Booth Bay?

Jul 13th, 2002, 06:42 PM
mare

If you're hungry when you pass through Wiscasset, both Sarahs (casual) and Le Garage (more upscale) offer excellent food. In Boothbay, Robinson's Wharf (actually in East Boothbay I think) - offers fresh lobster for takeout that you can eat on their picnic tables. A real downeast treat! Rocktide Inn and Andrew's Harborside serve excellent food as well. Lobsterman's Wharf we were not as impressed with, but it was crowded and popular. The Boothbay Ice Creamery is a must, look for it behind Ben & Jerry's.

Jul 15th, 2002, 07:04 AM
bette ann

We just returned from Boothbay Harbor and went on a clambake to Cabbage Island.It was GREAT!! You go an 45. min. cruise around the harbor and then go for a clambake on the island. You get 2 huge lobsters, 15 clams, corn, potato,and the best blueberry cake for 40.00$ a person. It was the best food and the best time. You have to reserve in advance, and you can get the number off their website. The lobsterman's Wharf is also very good to eat at. we lived Boothbay, and it's a short ride to Freeport for the outlet. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate!!

Jul 16th, 2002, 05:57 PM
Jackie

Most places will specify either soft shell or hard shell with prices to match. Taste seems to be about the same although others may dispute that. Soft shell is usually less full of meat than hard shell because they haven't grown into the new shell yet. I have lived in NE my whole life amd I think lobster is lobster as long as it is cooked live.

Jul 16th, 2002, 06:35 PM
xx

Haven't had soft shell so can't comment, but otherwise, a statement Jackie made above has also struck me every time I read a post asking where one can get "great" lobster. Lobster is lobster is lobster. Boil it live and it tastes pretty the much the same from one place to another unless someone is clueless about timing and that's not likely in NE, nor is likely they sit around outside water and start consuming their own bodies, which you might find outside New England. Please don't do it the disservice of broiling it though. NO NO NO! Be purists--boiled lobstah, please. And don't forget the little legs and the green gook. It's good.

Jul 16th, 2002, 07:52 PM
Yukka

So what is that green stuff anyway?

Jul 17th, 2002, 04:33 AM
OliveOyl

It's tomalley, or liver, and I agree, delish!

Jul 17th, 2002, 04:47 AM
Dick

I tend to agree with xx about lobster being pretty much the same, with one exception - places that don't have a brisk enough turnover will keep lobsters in the tank too long - they can live a long time without feeding, but in doing so they begin to metabolize their own tissue in much the same way that we lose fat when we diet (in theory, anyway!). Such lobsters are usually disappointing.

One other point about the green gook, aka tomalley, in reality the hepatopancreas (liver isn't a bad approximation for a non-scientist). That's where virtually all of the contamination the lobster has picked up over the years will be. You really don't want to be eating that stuff - trust me, I've been working in the field for about 30 years and I've seen the analytical chemistry results - some lobsters have tomalley that's so contaminated you'd technically be violating Federal law if you throw it in your trash.

Jul 17th, 2002, 05:25 AM
gc

Boy,

Dick sure brightened my day....but methinks he's right.

The best place to eat lobster in Boothbay will have picnic tables outside, a dress code that demands shorts and T-shirts be worn, a bunch of college kids waiting on the customers, a line waiting to order and get the food, and plenty of kids running around.

Jul 17th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Dick

Sorry about that, gc, but I really am right. I've seen data on other seafood that's similarly upsetting. What I was planning to add earlier, however, (but the site went down) was that our research shows that the meat of even lobsters that come from very contaminated areas is surprisingly clean, usually (alas, not always) below levels that are considered harmful.

Jul 17th, 2002, 05:43 AM
Dick

If anyone gets as far as Bar Harbor the Lobster Museum and Hatchery is vrey informative.

Jul 17th, 2002, 05:44 AM
Dick

I'm not the firs t Dick,,shold have called myself Dick2

Jul 17th, 2002, 05:50 AM
Yukon Gold

OO, you're simply titillating (gotta be careful spelling that one!) when you throw out those culinary terms. Now I'll never be able to say green stuff again. BTW, I think Jeb banished the lobsters.

Jul 17th, 2002, 06:47 AM
gc

I think it's a pretty safe rule, that if it is green and it didn't grow out of the ground, it's best not to eat it.

Jul 17th, 2002, 11:39 AM
OO

Aw, Dick. Did you have to?? Sheesh one by one, my little pleasures are being taken from me...first my cigs, then my sun tan, and now my lobster gunk. 'Tis a sad world indeed. It makes sense though, liver being the filter that it is, and taking into consideration what has flown into the ocean from various sources...not the least of which is my very own Housatonic river, considered a possible super fund site!

Your comments made me dig a little deeper. I mean really, the green gunk is not very big, and you don't eat lobster very often. Is this like the cranberry scare of the 60's where, as it developed, you'd have to eat 100 lbs a day to become sick (made up figure, but you get the idea). Or the swordfish scare right around the same time. In hunting around the internet there are some sites that only say pregnant and nursing mothers or young children shouldn't eat the tomalley. (Same site confirms, as you said Dick, that the meat is fine.)

Some other stats are eye opening. From the Environmental Toxicology Program, Maine Bureau of Health:

Striped Bass and Bluefish, eat no more than 2 meals per month.

Shark Swordfish, King Mackerel, and Tilefish: No to pregnant and nursing women or young children. All others should eat no more than 2 meals per month.

Canned Tuna: (!) Pregnant, nursing women, young kids (under 8) can eat no more than 1 can of white tuna or 2 cans of light tuna/wk.

All other ocean fish and shellfish, including canned fish and shellfish: Pregnant and nursing women, children under 8 can eat no more than 2 meals/wk.

Same site says no tamalley. Who knew?

Yukon Gold--Jeb's lobster are just pretend lobster anyway. No self-respecting Yank would ever order one. They don't even taste like the same animal. That's another one you'll have to give up--there's still time!

Now...are you gonna take my crawfish heads from me too?? gt;

Jul 17th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Yukon Gold

I'm still coming, but just don't take away the sheephead and snook, and that occasional pompano in the surf. Where else would one find all the fine seafood dining, I mean Johnny Leverocks, set a place for me. Shells, save me some pre-dinner peanuts. Crabby Bill, I'm on my way.

Jul 17th, 2002, 12:42 PM
OO

You forgot Frenchy's, and the Hurricane! LOL That's 5, 2 more and you can have a different culinary treat every night of the week!

Jul 17th, 2002, 12:53 PM
vealover

Camden is a lovely town, though it may be beyond Booth Bay. And, of course, there's Kenebunkport (sp?), but once again I can't remember where that's located. However, none of them are too far away. A few years ago, I flew into Bangor, then went to Bar Harbor, my favorite by far, then followed Rte. 1 all the way to Portland. There are so many lovely towns in between. I suggest just getting in the car and driving.

Jul 17th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Dick

OO - if you'd be interested in chatting about the Housy please send me an email - [email protected]

Dick

Jul 17th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Sara

We stayed near Booth Bay and loved the area. We even got the lobster and ate at the picnic tables. There is a state park that is pretty and has nice beaches/rocks for exploring. I don't think Camden is too far and I thought it was a fun town, a little touristy but still fun. We took the bus from Portland to Boston - very nice, shows movies is clean. Spent a day in Boston, it was long but we planned around it.

Have a great time and take your bug repellent!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO