bluejeans is back from Siesta Key!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone! We are back from our fabulous vacation in Siesta Key. A big thank you goes out to everyone who responded to numerous questions about where to go and what to do. Because of you, we had the perfect vacation. Here are some highlights:

Accommodations: Siesta Key Banyan Tree Beach Resort: We stayed in the Key West unit. Extremely clean and very nice accommodations. One block away from the beach. Our rental was reasonably priced and well worth the money. Management is very helpful and friendly.

Food: We ate a few meals in (that is the nice part about having a kitchen and a barbecue). Some of our favorite meals out were the pulled pork sandwich at The Oaks and delicious hamburgers at the Salty Dog. Mermaids had really good lunch sandwiches which included a free small sundae.

Groceries: We stopped at the Publix grocery store on our way to the condo from the airport. Really nice store with reasonable prices.

Beach: I could spend my whole vacation at the beach but the rest of my family is fair-skinned and very prone to horrible sunburn - even with SPF 50. We spent some time at the beach though, and it was gorgeous. Siesta Key public beach was stunning, but we much preferred Public Access #7, which was a block from our condo and much less crowded. The sand was so incredibly soft that it felt like powder. What an experience!

Activities: Busch Gardens: We were planning to go to Orlando for two days but the weather was not cooperating. Weather reports were
forecasting storms (not just the once-a-day rains) for the two days were were planning on heading over to WDW. So...we changed our plans and stayed closer to home. We opted for Busch Gardens for two reasons: It was much closer, in case we had to leave and the ticket prices were reasonable enough so that it the day was a total wash, we wouldn't take such a huge loss in the wallet. We were quite a distance from Orlando and only had two days set aside for that type of amusement, we knew if the weather wasn't going to hold up, we'd have to leave and would not be able to go back. As it turned out Busch Gardens was a good decision. It rained off and on all day long. We had several downpours that closed the rides in the entire park. The plus here, is that every time the rides were shut down, everyone got out of line. We took cover during the storm, and then, when it started breaking up, we'd head over to the rides we wanted to go on. At that point, there really wasn't a line at all, and we ended up getting on within 15 minutes of entering the queue. We did this all day long and had the time of our lives. By the end of the day, the park was not crowded and we rode Sheikra continuously for the last 1 1/2 hours. Awesome roller coaster, we all loved it.

Adventure Island Water Park: We got rained out (It rained all day: argh!) Went back the next day and had a wonderful time. There was plenty to do for everyone.

Scooter rental: 4 hour rental - had a blast. We all loved this activity but the kids especially. It was really nice riding around on our own and exploring Siesta Key.

Family: The best part! Spending 8 days with my family without the hustle and bustle of our daily lives is priceless. Enjoying each others company, playing games (when it rained), laughing, and relaxing in a beautiful place is what vacations are all about. We absolutely loved it and can't wait to return.

Regards,

bluejeans
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 06:25 PM

Hi bluejeans!

Glad to hear you had a great time at Siesta Key. Sorry the weather didn't cooperate with you.

So glad you went to Busch Gardens! Aren't the coasters great!

Thanks for posting a trip report!
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 07:47 AM

Thanks for your report, bluejeans. Sounds as though you all had a great time, working through the wet weather. Siesta Key is the next Florida beach that I need to try ...
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the report bluejeans. I'm heading to Siesta Key in Oct. for a girls-getaway so we'll be sure to check out the Oaks and Salty Dog. Are there any places you went for dinner that you don't recommend? Also, do you recall the company that rents scooters? That sounds like fun! Did you rent jet skis too by chance? One of the gals mentioned wanting to do that. Thanks!
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Poudrecanyon:

Sorry for the delay in responding, just haven't checked the forum lately.
As for your dinner question, we went for a late dinner at the Daquiri Deck. The service was slow and the food was just OK. I don't know if it was because of the hour (9:30 - 10:00 pm) or what...but it was nothing special. SKOB (Siesta Key Oyster Bar) really seemed to draw in the crowds though. Although we didn't eat there, it looked like a really hot spot for the younger crowd. You might want to check it out. It is right in the heart of Siesta Key. I'm looking for a receipt or something from the place where we rented the scooters. If and when I find it I'll post a message. But, I can tell you it was in a shopping type "mall" that looked like an old boating village. Once you see it, you'll know it. I'm trying to remember the road it was on too. Boy...a month ago seems like a long time to try to remember something. Hmmm...it never used to be so hard. Any way, if it comes to me, or if I find something with the name on it, I'll post. BTW, we did not rent jet skis, but saw plenty of people who did. It looked like fun and this place seemed to be priced pretty reasonably. Staff was extremely helpful too. Have a great trip, Siesta Key is a great destination. As a matter of fact, we chose it because someone from this forum recommended it, and now we do too. Have fun. I'm envious!

bluejeans
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 06:42 AM

Bluejeans,
Thanks for the insight. I found a place online called Siesta Sports Rentals that rents scooters, bikes, kayaks etc. That should work well for us so don't worry about trying to find the receipt.

I'll post a trip report when I get back. There are 7 of us going and only 1 has ever been to Siesta Key before (and that was 10+ years ago) so it should be a fun adventure for all of us.

Thanks again!