Blue ridge parkway

Aug 13th, 2019, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Blue ridge parkway

Hi
driving from nyc with family, would like to see luray caverns shenendoah(not necessary to see all) Monticello and drive and see points of interest that are recommended along parkway. (Not to be missed)We are driving with teens so constant nature will get boring. We have 4 days to drive down and see as much as we can. Also not sure where to stay and how long we can drive for. Should we book places to stay in advance? Also read NC much nicer. After we are heading to stay with family in SC. Overall vacation to be around 10days. Thank you in advance for any help
Aug 13th, 2019, 06:39 AM

I would think you oneed some idea of a place for Monticello and that will take a day.
The Parkways are 45mph and curvy (nice, but I get car sick--just a thought). Beautiful.
Youo might want to get off in Asheville and head south on I26 for SC

I think you have to plug in a route and see how the time/travel/layovers work out.
Aug 13th, 2019, 11:15 AM

I have done the full drive, from Cherokee to Front Royal, twice. I took a couple of weeks the first time, but I stopped a lot. More recently I have mostly stuck to the area north of Roanoke, staying at Peaks of Otter actually on the Parkway. If you want to stay on the Parkway - Peaks of Otter and the Pisgah Inn - and/or on Skyline Drive - Big Meadow and Skyland - you very definitely need to book in advance. The Parkway and Skyline Drive both have good websites with info on lodging and things to see, and there are plenty of hiking opportunities.

There are several guides to hiking near the BRP, and Lonely Planet has a driving guide.
Aug 13th, 2019, 01:40 PM

I'd get off and stay in Charlottesville one night, very nice town, see Monticello and also the University of Virginia (the Rotunda was also designed by Thomas Jefferson).
Aug 13th, 2019, 04:26 PM

When are you doing this? There are several places along that route that offer tubing on the river.
Aug 14th, 2019, 05:56 AM

If your 4 days includes driving time all the way from NYC to South Carolina, I don't think you will have much time to visit sites other than Monticello and Luray Cabins and enjoy some of the Skyline Drive and/or the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Where in SC are you headed?

My husband and I drove most of the Blue Ridge this year in early April and many sites were not open yet. We stopped in Bedford VA to see Thomas Jefferson's Poplar Forest estate and in Asheville NC.