Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Blue Line from downtown Chic. to Allstate Arena

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 10:14 AM
Linda

We are planning a trip to Chicago in December and want to go to a hockey game at the Allstate Arena in Rosemont. I was planning on taking a cab but have been told that it is quite a distance away and would be very expensive. Someone suggsted taking the train. Is it a safe way to travel? Going to the game might not be too bad, but what about coming back late at night (it's just me and my 18-year-old daughter). Also, where would we catch the train in the downtown area and where would it let us off in Rosemont? If we go this route, I would want to get a motel room very close to the station so we wouldn't have to be walking the streets of Chicago late at night. I thought about maybe taking the train to the game and biting the bullet and taking a cab back to the downtown area. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks!

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 11:26 AM
xxx

Have you made your hotel reservation yet? They would probably have reliable information for you concerning your situation.

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 12:11 PM
patg

Linda, I thought you mentioned in another post that you were going to a Blackhawks game. They play at the United Center on the west side; the Chicago Wolves play at the Allstate Arena (formerly the Rosemont Horizon.) Any confusion?

Directions for the Allstate can be found at:
http://www.chicagowolves.com/cw_game...irections.html
The CTA is safe. Thousands of people take it every day without any trouble. There is a very short bus ride from the Rosemont station to get to the Allstate Arena. If you feel uncomfortable on a train or bus, sit near the driver. Keep your wallet zipped in an inside coat pocket and keep just a few dollars in your outside pocket or purse. You should consider taking a cab back downtown because it will make you feel safer (the train is quite crowded in the early evening, much less so late at night) and it will be quicker (the expressway is a zoo at rush hour, but a breeze at night) Your hotel is unlikely to be near the Blue Line Stations. The only hotels convenient to the Blue Line that I can think of at the moment are the W on Adams and the Burnham at State and Washington.
CTA info and maps are at:
www.transitchicago.com

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 02:23 PM
Linda

Thanks for your response. We are going to a Blackhawks games AND a Chicago Wolves game. After talking to a few people, I think I'll take your advice and take a cab back to the city.

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 10:07 PM
Rick

Linda,
Why don't you spend the night in Rosemont? There are quite a few hotels within walking distance from the arena. (BestWestern, Ramada, Travelodge, etc.) Getting a cab after the game may not be that easy.
The Blue Line is safe. I used to work in Rosemont and at times had to take the train after midnight.

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 10:10 PM
Rick

In case you use public trans a lot in Chicago, check out:
http://tripsweb.rtachicago.com/