Black Tie v. Blue Tux

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 12:54 PM
Leone

Black Tie v. Blue Tux

I need advise. I'm travelling to a wedding. The groom is wearing a powder blue tux. I'm a guest, and I want to wear black tie. It has been suggested I'd be upstaging, even making a statement. Doctor, doctor, gimme the views. Serious travel question. Ya-ya.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 03:18 PM
Howard

I would say just the opposite. I'm hardly an authority on the subject, but it would seem to me that if you wore a powder blue tux, you could/would appear to be trying to upstage the groom! Wear the black tie outfit!

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 03:20 PM
wendy

How about just a business suit? That way you're dressed up and not more formal than the groom.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 04:25 PM
kam

Assuming that this is not a troll??? I would wear the dark business suit( not black tie) and let the groom "shine" in his powder blue number. Oh, have fun!

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 05:00 AM
ilisa

You only wear black tie if the invitation says "Black tie optional" or "black tie." Since the groom is wearing a powder blue tux, I highly doubt this is a black tie event or that the bride and groom even know what black tie is.

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 06:53 AM
Leone

Let me assure you this is not a troll thing. I post here quite often ... and some have even said I've lost a few marbles. I resent that ... actually I have them all .. it's just there aren't many. Yah. Anyway, the wedding is at 7 p.m., and I'm told the guests will be in all types of attire ... from windbreakers (black, I hope) to business suits. The groom will be in blue tux. Vows will be taken in the state capitol building, and afterward I am advised the reception will be a beer blast at a park to the music of a DJ. I'm staying in a Red Roof at $49.99 (wow, Paris is a long way away) and my idea is to do a "Loretta Young" style entrance in black tie into their parking lot and possibly give that motel some class, at least temporarily, and maybe even make the Guinness Book. I am half serious about that ... 'cause I'm taking the fun with me. So, I'm thinking black tie ... and take the consequences. If there are too many complaints, I could always stop payment on my gift. So, unless I hear a compelling argument, looks like it's black. Thanks for your time and thoughts. Cha, L

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 07:30 AM
frank

As Ilisa says above, you only wear black tie if it's printed on the invitation. If you chose to go this route, I'm afraid I would think you are inappropriately dressed and I certainly wouldn't find it humorous.

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 07:58 AM
Leone

Many good thoughts. Thanks. Will reconsider ... you are probably correct about the specifics. L

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 08:09 AM
ncgrrl

Why not ask the bride? I know you love black, black and more black but black tie might be a little too much for this event.

If the reception is in a park at night, you might look out of place in a tux. So bring your black twill pants, black shirt, and black windbreaker and enjoy dancing in the park.

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 10:07 AM
Howard

Now that you've provided all the details of your plan, I'll withdraw my previous advice/suggestion. Black tie for a beer blast in the park with music by a DJ? I'd say you might be trying to upstage the bride and groom. (Hey, there's something wrong when the cost of the tuxedo rental probably exceeds the cost of your room!)

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 10:27 AM
Leone

Great, Howard, I am still laughing. I guess you understand he's renting the tux ... I'm renting the room. But you're right, it is a funny comparison. BTW, the last time she married, it was light brown tuxes. I have pictures to prove it. And remember, we're talking Red Roof, I 64 West. Actually, they've experienced a spot of inflation ... in late 1998 the same room cost $39.95. I'm really not trying to upstage anyone ... just have some fun. I like my tux!!! Fun suit. And I have been told the clothes, like the guests, will run the gamut. Oh, I suppose I could end up waiting in the car. Could I please have my beer to go? Thanks. I will take no more of your time. And hello, NCGRRL ... yes, we meet again. I am the B, B and more B person ... you caught me red-handed. Have a good one, all. Cha.

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 11:54 AM
Howard

Have a good time no matter what you wear or don't wear.....Hey, there's thought: Don't wear any clothes. That'll get you some attention!

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 06:42 AM
Ess

Good taste doesn't seem to be issue here. Don't you think the bride and groom would be honored you thought enough of their special occasion to wear your tux? And what could be better than wearing a tux to a beer party at night in the park? Sounds perfecto!

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 09:18 AM
Leone

Yes, Ess, that was exactly my thinking as well. to begi with. So, I'm in a quandry ... but I appreciate all of the ideas, and I will take no more of your time. You've given me food for thought ... will now try to come up with a reasonable decision. Thanks very much. Cha, L

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 09:43 AM
OliveOyl

Well said Ess. "Yah", to quote a favorite cat! My point in a nutshell.

I'd be honored, if I were the bride, and "truth" (as it always is), your family (this is a family wedding) knows and loves you for who you are and part of that person is the one who wears a tux to a beer blast and has even more of a ball for doing it--and gives everyone else enjoyment in the process. You know my choice, Leone--and we want pictures!

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 12:10 PM
Leone

Thanks, OO, as usual. The issue of love, well ... And the pix ... naturally, via the net. Doing an album for the newlyweds, so will save some good ones for 'ya. In the meantime, anyone know any good restaurants in the T area? Have a great weekend, and I bet you can see the stars from on deck. It has been another interesting week, and enjoyable. gt;>