Search

Birthday surprise weekend in CA - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Birthday surprise weekend in CA - HELP!

Help!

I am trying to find a destination for a weekend getaway for my boyfriend's birthday. We live in San Diego and I'd like to go somewhere in CA. I'm not concerned with price. Someplace with good restaurants, some outdoor activities would be great. He and I are in our early 30s.

Thanks is advance!
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 06:04 PM

Santa Barbara. Great hotels (Four Seasons Biltmore, San Ysidro Ranch, Bacara), restaurants, recreation, and close to the Santa Ynez wineries. It's all very beautiful and romantic!
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 06:44 AM
ltt

go to san fran for the weekend.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 07:54 AM

Carmel or Napa valley.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 08:08 AM

Don't know when this will occur. We had a great time in Palm Springs. Actually stayed in Indian Wells and ate at great restaurants. If his birthday is in the summer forget it!!!

Fly into Oakland and go to Sonoma or Napa.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 09:32 AM

I vote for Santa Barbara or Monterey. If you feel like flying you may even get a good fare from San Diego on AA.com. They often run specials on air and hotels.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 09:42 AM

Frisco would be a great weekend trip....
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 03:59 PM

Santa Barbara is always a favorite of mine. Catalina Island would be another of my suggestions. Good restaurants might be a push (depending on your level of cuisine desires), but there's lots of outdoor choices. No need for a car and lots of evening fun on the island as well.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 03:17 PM

Pacific Grove is a pretty town located between Carmel and Monterey, you may want to try there. You'll be a short drive from either Monterey or Carmel. There are some great places to eat, and some very nice B&B's (try the Gosby House).
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 04:33 PM

Leen,

What time of year? what kind of outdoors activity?

What about Truckee? Fly into Reno, drive half an hour up into the mountains. There are two good (not 5star) restaurants, Pianeta and the Cottonwood. Lots of hiking and mountain biking & such, (or skiing if you mean soon).

What about Mid Coast somewhere? I don't know how to advise you on the dining, but you could try surfing or sea kayaking near Santa Cruz/Monterey, and redwoods are near by for hiking.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 04:40 PM

leen, how about the Monterey and Carmel area. Very scenic coastline south of Monterey along Big Sur. In the Monterey Bay Area itself there's 17 mile drive, Carmel, and Point Lobos. There are many good restaurants in Carmel.

There is not all that much in Truckee that would warrant flying up from San Diego. If your already in the area for another reason, then yes it would be an okay place to visit.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 07:06 PM

Leen:

I'll third the suggestion of the Monterey Bay Area. You can find good fares on Southwest by flying into San Jose (SJC). Monterey is about a 1.5 hr drive from the city. Just outside of SJ in the Santa Cruz Mountains Big Basin Redwoods State Park is nice. If you are not into walking/hiking through the redwoods, off of route 17 on the way to Santa Cruz stop off in Felton and ride the Roaring Camp Steam train among the redwood forests.

In the Monterey Bay Area I would include the Monterey Bay Aquarium and 17 Mile Drive, and the quaint town of Carmel on your itinerary. On the way to Monterey from SJ off of route 1 in Moss Landing stop at Phil's Fish Market if you like great seafood. Phil's is well known for its clam chowder.

www.roaringcamp.com
www.monterey.com
www.siliconvalley.citysearch.com
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 02:47 PM

Stay with SF, it's beautiful, and you'll fall in love all over again. Montery and Carmel are boring to be honest and if you are looking for "fun" you're much better off in SF. Carmel/Monterey is for a much older crowd, mainly a crowd looking for Anitque stores, and other potential garage sale material. Enjoy!
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:45 AM

Oh how this board does have it moments..so jumping into it here..I'd say either SF or Monterey..airfare will be less into SFO probably and since price is an issue..I'd go with SF. There are countless things to do and especially in a weekend. You also will not need to rent a car in SF as you will need to do in Monterey. There are many young-hip places(clubs,restaurants) in SF..you should check out both the Mission and the Haight for possible venues. South Of Market will have them as well(Go to SFgate.com). Outdoor activities abound. You can rent bikes and cycle through Golden Gate Park or out to Lands End and catch some amazing vistas. You can also take the ferry over to Tiburon or Sausalito..or to Angel Island and hike or bike. The shorepath at Chrissy Field provides you with some knock out views of the Bay and the Golden Gate. Folks have been getting good hotel prices recently through Priceline (like $60-80/noc)..anyway..once you decide this board will no doubt be able to help you with suggestions on what to do and see in the city of your choice.