Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Birthday Dilemma......Tokyo or NYC ....or both?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it seems that job wise I am right back where I was last year this time....still wondering if I will have a job this time next year, and wondering about money and finances.

I still want to keep my promise of traveling on my birthday...and while I have traveled ALOT this year (had nothing to do with birthday promise), I still want to travel and be out of state or country come December.

Here is the dilemma, once again....I am an avid fan of NYC...and though I spent a wonderful 48 hours there many years ago, I have always long to visit it again. I have already reserved my hotel room, and just need to get my plane tickets. I know the time of year is busy when I will go (early december), but I must be there on my birthday.

But now, because of financial issues and work issues, I am not sure when, after my birthday, I will be able to travel again....if I keep my job until this time next year, I will definately have a lot of vacation time, but financially I am not sure if I can afford 2 trips in a year. And if I choose to go to Japan, it will cost me an additional 400-500 bucks for the airfare.

I am now wondering if I should visit Japan...another place that has been in my heart to visit (though not as long as NYC).

Ugh! I am leaning towards NYC, but the idea of going international on my birthday is really spurning my interest as well.

In my situation, remember I am not rich and barely middleclass, what would you do?

I chose to post in blue partly because of my mood right now....
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 02:22 PM
hdm

If Japan is the farther, less likely trip, I'd say do it now. If NYC is easier for you, distance and money-wise, you'd be more likely to do it sometime in the future. But if you think you can make it to Japan this year, go while you can.

Hard to lose, though, with this problem!
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 03:42 PM

"Indecisive" is an understatement. You've asked through gazillions of posts everything from photographic etiquette and about cheap hotels and areas in NYC to cheap steak houses to celebrate your birthday. You have to start asking yourself whether you're simply wasting your time by planning any travel that's not going to happen?
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 03:45 PM

As a NYer, I make my bias know up front. But also as a NYer, I know I love spending my birthdays in the Big Apple. I travel a lot for my job, and that usually means traveling international. As much as I love seeing new places and having the experiences associated with said travel, there is no greater feeling than coming back to New York. This city has it all, and is a true world class city. Why not combine the best of both, by coming to New York and spending a Japanese themed night? Sure it is not the same as being in Tokyo, but it also allows you to experience one of the great things about New York, and that is the culturally diversity. The best part? When you are back you can post a trip report and perhaps give me some recommendations of great Japanese places I may not be familar with. Whatever you decide, have a blast and enjoy your birthday!
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 04:43 PM
emd

ilove, I think this is really a decision you have to make for yourself. Can't imagine asking strangers on the internet to help decide if I have the money to do this in the face of possibly being unemployed. If it was just which one would you pick, NYC or Tokyo for a birthday travel, it would be different. But you added in all the other stuff and that is all very personal, the type of thing you decide for yourself based on your means and position in life.

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

I simply posted this question because I figured there may be people who have gone through similar circumstances. Does that mean I am not cautious? No. Does it mean I am not concerned about future work? Of course not. I am not planning round the world travel, and have already figured out my budget.

Am I indecisive? No. I think every person in life has a moment when they are deciding something in general...and travel is one of those things that I think on for a bit...I don't ever jump right into travel....I like to think it out, mull it over, plan it, and go!

As for asking about wallpapers, etc. this is a forum and I figured that many of the people on here would have good information.

HDM-- thank you for the good insight!

The possibilities are open, so I am considering all my options at the moment.

Again, thank you to those who gave good advice.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Ps....I also think that there is the misconception that this is such a personal decision and that I am allowing strangers to make that decision for me.

No, once again, I am sure there are people who have been in a similar situation.

I should have posed the question: If you know you may not travel for a couple of years, which place would you choose? I think the question posed that way would have been less likely to cause people to make certain incorrect assumptions.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 05:26 PM
emd

Much better question. If you ask it that way without all the additional financial and personal info...

at first I thought I would answer Tokyo. I've been there twice and love it. I've been to NYC many times and love it also. The more I think about this, if it was me and my birthday and I was going alone, I'd choose NYC. Personally I wouldn't want to go to Tokyo alone for a birthday. I am quite sure I'd get lonely in Tokyo by myself. I wouldn't feel as lonely in NYC. It is easier to connect w/people in NYC for me. This is not so much about what there is to see or do foe me, but how I would feel spending a birthday in each of those cities.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the input!

I was in a different country and alone on my last birthday and it didn't bother me so much. Also, with the suggestions on some on this board, I will be traveling on my birthday, but having a nice dinner get together with my friends to celebrate the big 30!

Personally I think everyone has a different idea of what is "personal"....a job situation is a job situation, and I tend to be an honest and open person. I wouldn't write, however, a diary journal entry here or anything like that, but what I am going through is a very typical occurence for many people the world over, I am sure. My focus is of course on making money, and with my budget travel I would still be keeping in mind how to support myself while finding a new job, if needbe.

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 05:43 PM

we're in a similar situation-- DH and i are still young (not yet 30) and it's always a dillema about where to travel, when, how long, etc., because when you're young, you just plain don't have a lot of $ to spend!

if you can swing it, i'd choose toyko!! it's more once-in-a-lifetime, though it certainly doesn't literally have to be once in a lifetime. but for a big milestone bday like 30, i'd do toyko. -lynne
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

That is the dilemma! Do I do a "once in a lifetime trip to Tokyo?"---though when I went to Paris I thought it was once in a life time and I ended up back in europe less than 6 months later...

Or do I go for comfortable NYC.....a place that has been warming my heart for the past....8 years....

Hmmmm.....I could wait til I was better off financially and do Tokyo without worrying so much about a budget.....

decisions....decisions...
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 05:57 PM

Tokyo sounds like the winner to me!

I can't think of anything that I've regretted doing but I do have a few things that I wish I had done and if this might be THE opportunity to go to Japan, go. Maybe, you will get to go to NYC later and it'll cost less than going in Dec....

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 06:03 PM

OK, sounds like you're leaning towards NYC. Perhaps you feel it may not be as special as a trip to Tokyo but maybe the budget will determine the overall 'best' trip.

More research? Cost out restaurants in NYC/accommodation in Tokyo... the airfare difference might not be the deciding factor....
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 06:11 PM
emd

When in Dec. is this, before or after Christmas?
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 06:17 PM

OP stated early December... so before Christmas and before prices drop....
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 06:48 PM

Well, I hope that whatever trip you take it is not a "once in a lifetime" trip...because I also hope and presume that you will have many more years of traveling! Your life has barely begun!

Go to Tokyo.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 08:14 PM
wow

There's no decision here. If you can do both, do both. There...now wasn't that easy?
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 02:02 AM

"thank you to those who gave good advice"

You mean, "thank you to those who told me what I wanted to hear."

LOL
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 09:31 AM

The idea of international travel is "spurning [your] interest"? Maybe that's the problem.

Go to Tokyo. It sounds like you'd prefer it.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

I have decided to stick with NYC....it is more in my budget, and also, I really need a bit of time to work on my Japanese language skills, and I don't think I will have the time to do that before my trip. Also, I really do want to veg a bit on my trip and scout out possible relocation areas, and I think that if I went to Tokyo, I would be running all over the place and wouldn't be able to really veg like I want to. Maybe I can do Tokyo for my 31st? And then my trips after my 30th bday can focus on Japan, China, and Thailand...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -