binoculars for newbie

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 11:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
binoculars for newbie

http://www.swisslink.com/products/pr...p?id=34&sid=15
http://www.swisslink.com/products/pr...?id=429&sid=15

The two binoculars below appear to be comparable in specs, both have a best rating so the question is which one you recommended to a newbie?
Thank
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 02:49 AM

My recommendation would be neither. You haven't indicated what you will be using them for nor your expertise in holding optical devices steady. Hunters are frequently better at holding binoculars steady as they have to hold their rifle steady to make a god shot, but other people may tend to wobble their binoculars a bit more. Without a real steady hand, I'd suggest you start with binoculars with a lower magnification. Practice with them in your neighborhood before you travel with them and after you've practiced, you'll have a better idea of how steady you can hold them and how good you are with adjusting the focus to your eyes. I think a 7x35 would be the highest magnification/aperature that I would suggest for a newbie for general use. With the practice that I have had, I like my adjustable 7-15x35 but I need something to rest them on for the higher power.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 03:23 AM

The other factor, is do they fit you? My dh has wide set eyes and finds many binoculars have eyepieces too close together for him to look through both at the same time (we have a variety since we have forgotten them on more than one trip and bought new ones when we just have to see better). Try them out and if you get them on line make sure they are returnable if they don't suit your needs.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 04:55 AM

Binoculars usually (in my experience, always) have an adjustment for the width of your eyes.
I would investigate binoculars with image stabilization, for almost any use. They have become much more economical.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 04:56 AM

I also much prefer small binoculars because we will take them more often. Have had the big 'clunkers', and they are cumbersome.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 06:42 AM

Do not buy the 10 x 50's, you will have a lot of trouble holding them steady and even more trouble finding the object you seek in the field.

And, at those prices, these binos do not have good optics, I guarantee it. That means that everything will look dark, like someone dimmed the lights. They will also probably be heavier than necessary. Newbie or not, they will not work well for you.

Really, if you're buying one pair for your lifetime, spend at least $100-150 for a good quality pair.

Sorry to rain on your parade!
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 07:17 AM

There is no need to mark this as a trip report.