Biltmore Estate in Asheville, N.C.

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Biltmore Estate in Asheville, N.C.

As a senior citizen with some leg problems, would it be advisable to take one of the walking tours at Biltmore Estate. How long are the tours and are there places to sit down along the way? I would hate to spend the high admission charge if this activity would be too strenuous for me to engage in. Any helpful advice would be very much appreciated.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 12:22 AM

That's hard for me to answer even though I think we've taken about every tour at Biltmore offered.

The rooftop tour probably wouldn't work for you.

I've never seen anyone "resting" on any of those walking tours since you often aren't allowed to sit on the furniture.

I would ASK at the tour office when I got there about possible restrictions and for their suggestions.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 12:58 AM

Last Sept we were at the Biltmore.We took the folder guide and toured on our own.You can stop when you want and see as much as your body allows.We're seniors too but still alive and kicking.We prefer to visit at our own pace.Paul
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 02:36 AM

Even though I toured the house/grounds with a handicapped friend, I don't recall if she used an elevator or not. There's a lot of stairs. Maybe best to call the Biltmore Estate with your questions.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 04:35 AM

I don't recall anywhere to sit down and rest inside the mansion. We went on our own and bypassed some of the long standing-around-times that the tour groups did. I remember listening to one of the guides and thinking that someone needed to tell her that she needed to learn how to be concise. What a windbag!!!

Frankly, we were disappointed in the Mansion. It's big, with lots of rooms, but we have old homes in my hometown that have better antiques and other furnishings than it did. I think the most interesting thing about the house was the tiny little bare rooms that the servants had. It really showed the lack of concern for the people that lived worked for them.

The grounds and view were enjoyable and the Rose Garden and the greenhouses were wonderful. I'd love to see the Rose Garden again.

We ate there and had some of the best ice cream ever created. That was worth the price!
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 04:05 PM

The house tours are self-guided and can be as long or short as you make them. I have been to Biltmore three times in the past two years, for various reasons, and I would allow at least 1.5 hours in the house, if you get the audio headsets (which I would do, because they really help you understand what you're looking at and locate the important pieces in each room). There ARE benches along the way in the house, because my dad had to stop and sit down for a while on one trip.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 04:25 PM

I was pregnant when we went and I needed frequent rest stops. We did the self-guided tour so that we could go at our own pace. While there were not many places to stop and sit, there were at least two that I recall.