Bikes in Zion, Bryce and North Rim Grand Canyon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heading to these parks and plan on taking the bikes for use in getting around within the parks. Is it feasible? I know the parks have shuttles to take people to the different locations within the park, but thought that if we took the bikes we could come/go as we pleased and not have to wait for the shuttle. Certainly don't want to take them if they would be useless. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 02:26 PM

There is a nice biking trail near the north rim of the GC, very scenic area but not near the main visitor center or paved roads. http://www.mountainbikebill.com/AZ06NRGC1.htm has a nice description of it.

There is also a nice network of dirt roads to the west of the visitor area that go to places like Point Sublime, which would be good biking with little traffic.

You could also bike on the paved roads to Point Imperial and Cape Royal but these are winding narrow roads with sometimes inattentive drivers so I'd wear bright colors (I'd personally be nervous about biking on these roads, too many inattentive people rounding tight curves). The trail mentioned in the first paragraph would be much more relaxing and enjoyable to me. There are no shuttles to these areas, the south rim has the more extensive shuttle system.

thought that if we took the bikes we could come/go as we pleased and not have to wait for the shuttle

Usually the areas with shuttles have frequent service so you wouldn't be waiting much. I'd use the bikes more to get away from the pavement, assuming you have mountain bikes.
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bill - I failed to specify, but these are road bikes. Mine is more for pleasure, my husband's is more for road races (i.e., thin tires), but we'll definitely check out the Point Sublime option.
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:40 PM

There are no shuttles at the north rim of the Grand Canyon. I would definitely NOT ride a bike on the roads there. As was mentioned, they are winding roads and they are pretty narrow. Also, it is a long way between viewpoints. Check the maps here.

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/maps.htm
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:28 PM

Hi Jill,

Bike riding in Zion is beautiful and fun, but it depends on when you are going. I wouldn't want to ride during the NON- shuttle months as there is too much traffic and the road is very narrow. Riding there in the fall and spring is wonderful and it's a great ride!

Bryce - is much higher altitude and longer between the beginning and ending of the park. You may not have the lungs to ride all the way to the highes viewpoint!

Can't say about North Rim GC, it's been too many years since I've been there.
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

We took our bikes, but did not ride in Zion. The shuttle service was so convenient, we just used it. We were able to ride easily in Grand Canyon NR - in fact rode up to the Kaibab trailhead and around the campground. In Bryce, my husband road from the Lodge to Rainbow Point and back. We first drove the route and I realized it was NOT a ride I could do. He loved it - glad we checked it out with the car first!