Search

Big Sur or Carmel

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2001, 02:01 PM
Denise

Big Sur or Carmel

We will be driving up the coast & can't decide to stay in Big Sur or Carmel.
We do want to have enough time to see Carmel.
Any suggestions would be helpful.Also,from any of these destinations,is it better to go to yosemite or Santa Cruz.
Our last stay will be SF.
Thanks,

Denise

Old May 1st, 2001, 02:04 PM
Denise

This is Denise again.
I forgot to say that it would be for 1 night in either Carmel or Big Sur & 1 night at Yosemite & then 2 nights in SF>

Old May 1st, 2001, 02:12 PM
Sarah

While I prefer Yosemite to Santa Cruz, the drive to Yosemite just for one night would be too much. Spend the extra time enjoying Big Sur or San Francisco. While there are more restaurants and shopping to choose from in Carmel, I'd opt to stay in Big Sur. It's just a more tranquil setting and would give you more diversity from your stay in San Francisco.

Old May 1st, 2001, 03:30 PM
Rheianne

Denise,
I would agree with Sarah. I would also prefer Yosemite over Santa Cruz, but it is a very long drive for just one day of touring (about 5.5 hours away from Carmel and 4.5 hours away from San Francisco without traffic). Although Santa Cruz doesn't compare to Yosemite, you can make up for missing the views of the mountains by visiting Big Sur, which has spectacular views of the ocean. Carmel is a very nice small town, but on your limited schedule, I would definitely opt for Big Sur. Have a great time!

Old May 1st, 2001, 03:47 PM
Julie

Also depends on your budget -- there aren't as many places to stay in Big Sur as Carmel, and the prices can be quite high. I'm from the Carmel area, and have always done Big Sur as a day trip. Two very nice (but expensive) places in the Big Sur area are Post Ranch and Ventana. You can probably find a small B&B in Carmel. Otherwise, try Pacific Grove, which is charming.

Old May 1st, 2001, 04:08 PM
Caitlin

I would spend a night in Big Sur and then perhaps a night in Carmel, Pacific Grove or Monterey or a night in Santa Cruz. As others have said, Yosemite is too far for one night; you should save it for a time when you can spend at least a couple of days in the park. Most people seem only to be aware of Psst Ranch and Ventana in the Big Sur area, both of which are >$400/night. There are a variety of lodging choices at a variety of prices, though. The Big Sur Chamber of Commerce web site lists all the places in the area, with links and phone #s (www.bigsurcalifornia.com). Another useful site for Big Sur is the guide at http://jrabold.net/bigsur/index.htm, which lists all the parks and their features in geographical order so you can figure out where you want to go to see and do things.

If the idea is to get farther north toward SF, you could then spend a day exploring Carmel and Monterey and stay the night in Santa Cruz, which has less to offer than the former places. If the extra hour of driving from the Carmel/Monterey area doesn't bother you, you could go ahead and spend the second night there and skip Santa Cruz.

Old May 1st, 2001, 05:20 PM
kam

All good advice here. Please understand that California is a BIG state and some of the roads although beautiful, take a longer time to travel than most folks realize. To go over to Yosemite would take too long and you wouldn't get to spend any time in the park. That's another trip (and you should consider flying into Oakland for Yosemite) Always remember that it's much easier to go north/south in California than to go east/west. Getting over to Yosemite is not terribly easy from the coast and once there, you won't have a lot of time to enjoy it. Big Sur is expensive and rustic and Carmel is a tad less expensive (but not cheap) and chic. Depends on what you want in the end. I would choose Carmel but would spend several hours driving up through Big Sur. If you arrive in Carmel in the afternoon you will have time to walk around the town seeing some of the little art galleries and boutiques, see the mission and have a lovely dinner in a small restaurant. Don't know what staying overnight in Big Sur actually adds to the experience unless you have a couple days to relax and unwind at one of the fabulous resorts--all of which are quite expensive. From Big Sur or Carmel, whichever you decide, I would drive via 101 to 85 to I 280 up to the city (about 2 hours via freeway, not stopping in Sta. Cruz) and spend your surplus day in SF. You'll find plenty to do. If you are traveling with kids or teens, I might reconsider my recommendations and spend a day at Sta. Cruz, "Surf City, U.S.A."--great boardwalk, old roller coaster and surfing lessons if you book ahead. It's not too much for adults, however.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 06:50 AM
lisa

Big Sur!

Old May 2nd, 2001, 10:33 AM
Caitlin

What staying in Big Sur adds is a completely different feeling than staying in Carmel. It is "rustic"--you're not staying in a town, and most of the accommodtions, whether $100/night (there are quite a few affordable options--see Chamber of Commerce web site I noted above) or $500/night, are nestled in the woods, some with ocean views, some next to the Big Sur River. If you stay at an affordable place, you can still take in great views and good food at Post Ranch or Ventana's restaurants. It's staying in the country vs. staying in a cute but touristy town. Again, I vote for doing both.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 12:39 PM
tom o

DENISE---i agree with the sentiment about big sur--there are cheaper places--such as big sur lodge and big sur inn--one (I think it's the inn, i always get them mixed up) was started by the deitjen family and is funky and has a lot of character--the other is cabins in pfiefer state park--but take the time to take in the fabulous scenery--truly one of my favorite places in the us