Big Island trip report--activities

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have posted lodging report separately. Now will discuss activities.

First, the volcano. Face it, that's why you go there. The flow is active again, but the viewing is a good 5 mile round trip over the lava field, and the rangers were not marking the trail while I was there. The island was surprisingly non-crowded in early May, and being alone, I just didn't feel comfortable making the trek, so I skipped it (I had a nice view of the flow when I visited the BI 2 years ago--otherwise, I probably would have gone ahead and made the trek). But I did take a towel and flashlight out to the end of Chain of Craters Rd and encamped in the evening--got a nice view of the glow at twilight.

Best recommendation for a visit to Volcanoes National Park: hug a ranger. Listen to the ranger talk at the visitor's center--it was very informative and entertaining. Then, take a couple of the ranger walks. I did one through the "rain forest" and a quickie along Devastation Trail. Definitely worthwhile.

Also worthwhile to go to Puna, and walk across the lava on that opposite side to the black sand beach where they've planted a bunch of coconut palms. Really lovely, and a relatively quick and easy walk to a largely isolated beach. The color of the water there is amazing. Not good for swimming, due to nasty undercurrents, but worthwhile.

Up the Hilo coast, stop at some of the waterfalls. They've had a rainy year, and the falls are flowing. Waipio overlook is a must--views of the valley and waterfalls all over the coast.

On the Kona side, rented a sea kayak at A-Bay (near the Waikoloa resorts). Generally would not do this alone, but A-Bay is well-protected and there were plenty of other kayakers around so I felt fairly safe. Snorkeling at Hapuna Bay was a bit disapointing this time, but others who were there claimed I just hit it wrong--the fishies had been out in full force just a couple days before.

Made the drive to South Point--it's quite pretty and really interesting. Don't be intimidated by the drive--the road is in pretty decent shape. Also, the walk to the green sand beach proved much easier and faster than I'd been given to believe--it's pretty and worth seeing.

Kailua is a tourist trap, of course, but still worth a stroll. The Place of Refuge is a must-see, as are the little towns on the way down the South Kona coast.

Coffee tours are a bust this time of year. Need to go when the harvest is on--I gather that's around Sept to January.

This was my 5th visit to the BI, so obviously it's a favorite of mine. This was the first time I split between Kona and Volcano, and I definitely recommend that.
Old May 15th, 2004, 11:00 PM

Just a note:

I have been watching the coconut palms growing for a few years...each year they get a little larger...interesting you should mention them. [that happens to one of my favorite places on the B.I.]

And yes...I agree with you on the coffee tours...harvest time is the time to go...I frequent Bayview Farms, just down the road from the painted church.

Fun stuff...
Old May 16th, 2004, 01:00 PM

Would appreciate any additional info on seeing the lava flows (if it is flowing in Oct.) It sounds as if it is a pretty good hike, and one of us is arthritic. Seems as if it would be too far - what is the distance from the Chain of Craters road? Are the helicopter tours worth the price?
Do you need to plan ahead for coffee tours, or just show up? Where would be the best concentration? Would probably also like to visit a macadamia nut farm.
Old May 16th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

You pretty much have to wait to see where the flow is when you're there. Last time I visited--a couple of years ago--it was less than a mile to the flow from the bottom of Chain of Craters Road. Now, it's a 1/3 mile walk just from the end of the road to the start of the cold lava field, then a good-length hike (about 2.5 miles each way) from there. There also have been times when it was a relatively easy walk from the other side--the Puna area. You just have to check with the visitor center when you get there. Helicopter is the way a lot of people were going this time. However, having once been told by a chopper pilot on Kuaui that BI is the most dangerous place he knows to fly a helicopter (something to do with how the volcano affects the atmosphere), I was a little hesitant to go that route.

For coffee tours, you just show up. I'm told that Greenwell and Holualoa Coffee Cos. do the best tours, and October will be prime season.

There's a couple of Mac farms around--Mauna Loa and another--but I'm told the tours are a big yawn and have never done them.
Old May 17th, 2004, 06:19 PM

Seeing the Lava from the air:

Several years ago I took a fixed wing aircraft [airplane] tour over the lava.

It was suggested by someone locally. It was very enjoyable. There were two of us; one in front and one in rear. Not nearly as noisey as the helicopter.

We took it from the airport at Hilo.
[Actually I had a helicopter tour booked, but it got cancelled, so opted for the airplane]