Big Island snorkle tours

Search

Big Island snorkle tours

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Island snorkle tours

What is the best snorkle tour to do on this island?

Also, has anyone done the flumin' the ditch kayaking??

Thanks!!
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 07:31 PM

I'd definitely recommend the Fairwinds tour out of Kona. Sorry but I have no experience or info on flumin.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 04:17 PM

We loved going to Captain Cook's monument to snorkel but you do not need to do a tour to get there. Rent a kayak and they will direct as to where to put in. We paddled across the bay to the monument and had a great time for much less than a snorkel tour would cost.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 04:23 PM

I agree with DawnCt. Rent a kayak and beat the crowds from the tours. Also, the bay is home to spinner dolphins who many times will give you a free show.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 04:27 PM

Question please...

Do you need to reserve kayaks for Kealakekua Bay ahead of time, or can you get them the day you want to rent them? We're going to Kona as our 1st stop of a 4 island trip... if we need to make a reservation ahead of time, we'd need to do it before we leave the mainland.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 08:03 PM

I saw a lot of kayakers going to the monument and it seemed like fun. I also saw the Fairwinds and, although I am sure people enjoy it, it is really crowded (100 plus people) and takes more time than it really needs to because of its size and speed. My family took the Sea Quest rigid hull inflatable snorkel trip to both Captain Cook's and Place of Refuge. It was fabalous and only cost $300ish for a family of five private tour. They limit their boats to 6 people max and they not only snorkel, but they spend about an hour and a half touring sea caves, reefs and other geologically interesting sights as well as feeling you in on the history. We got to the snorkel sights before nearly anybody (including all of the boats and most of the kayaks) and thoroughly entertained us. Fun for all ages (from 42 to 6 yrs old). Trip lasted for nearly four hours. Have fun.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 08:27 PM

I've done the Fairwinds and if I go back I'll do a smaller boat. Just my preference. This post has made me interested in perhaps the rented kayak next time. Your snorkeling experience will be the same no matter which ride you catch to the bay.

I've not done the ditch ride, but friends who went on the trip with me did and they enjoyed it very much.