Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Big Island Revealed Book -- What's so great about it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After seeing overwhelming recommendations on the the BI Revealed guidebook, I decided to buy one but after looking through it I'm not sure it's worth carrying w/ me on my upcoming BI trip. Could you let me know what's so great about it?

First, the background info seems to be very shallow. The organization seems confusing w/ a lot of jumping back and forth in different sections. And they choose to include and exclude things based on very personal opinions. (Example: never did they mention Coconut Island in Hilo when all other guidebooks did and it sounds interesting). They devoted pages and pages to bashing restaurants, tour operators, etc. Why not tell me something that's good rather than include the only recommendation of a type of restaurant and end up bashing it? Is it some kind of personal vengeance?

I've checked out the standard guidebooks (Lonely Planet, Fodor's, Frommer's) from the public library to compare, and find them much better. More comprehensive and they're able provide me a better sense of history and place.

The most useful feature I see from the Revealed book is their maps w/ road markings. But I probably can get a map doing the same.

To those who have used the book, please let me know why you think it's so great for your trip.

Thanks.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Original Poster

Also, another frustrating feature of the BI book is they just list phone numbers of restaurants/tour operators, etc. w/o providing their addresses. And then refer you to get them on their website.

How do I get internet access while driving around? My cell phone may not even work out there!

Anywhere, sorry if I end up rubbing anyone the wrong way, but I'm trying to figure out which guidebook to take w/ me on my guidebook. And the BI Revealed is not as comprehensive and well-contained as I'd thought. If I bring it, I would have to bring another guidebook like LP's or a bunch of printouts.

Please advise. Leaving in a few days... thanks.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 10:24 AM

you really don't need a guidebook for the Big Island. Just get a "This Week" magazine at the airport, has all the info and maps you need and it's free.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 10:52 AM

I think with any guidebook, it's a matter of finding one that matches your taste and opinions. Certain guidebook series (the Revealed series, Rick Steves, Moon Handbooks) have been fantastic for me over and over, while other books have let me down and so don't get used again. I tend to like very opinionated guidebooks, rather than more comprehensive. For example, Lonely Planets drive me nuts because they have everything but write about it all in the same neutral tone (caveat: I've only used their European books, never seen the Hawaii)-it seems like the same info I could get at the local tourist info. So, while I and other do find the Revealed series helpful, it doesn't surprise me that others won't like it at all-its such a matter of taste. Also, I never use only one book when planning (especially since in my opinion, most guidebooks have terrible restaurant reccomendations-there is no one perfect book. I always end up with a bunch of photocopies and printouts.

The specific things I like about the Revealed books are: the terrific detail about beaches (this, for me, is worth the price of the book), the off the beaten path beaches and hikes (for instance in the Puna section-if you believed other guidebooks, this area either doesn't exist or is a crime-ridden, dangerous place), the detailed accomodation section that shows aerial photos, and their opinions of specific tour operators (I've followed their recommendations and had great experiences). I also like that they are willing to alert you to things they feel are a rip-off. In terms of shallow background info, that's fine with me-if I want to read about Hawaii's history or geology, I'll get a separate book. The 20 pages another guidebook devotes to the subject is too little to gain any real understanding of the subject.

There are things I don't like, too-like you said, the space devoted to negative reviews, their constant bashing of the National Park Service, and I find their taste in restaurants rather questionable (I always use other sources to find good food in Hawaii).

Also, Coconut Island does SOUND interesting but really isn't. I wouldn't stop there again.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 12:42 PM

I just wanted to add also that I've found their rating system for sights to be right on-their "don't miss" sights really are don't miss.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 11:24 AM

I have the same opinion regarding the Revealed series. I bought the Oahu book for my trip and found it to be too judgemental for my taste. Usually I use 2-3 books to plan my trips and I will probably still utilize the Revealed series in the future, but will take what they say with a grain of salt. My favorite books to use are Fodors and Frommers, as I like a more neutral viewpoint and then I go and form my own opinion without any biased expectations.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 01:03 PM

Just to you know, the BI Revealed book was recently updated. The new 4th Edition isnt available in stores yet(at least it wasnt in my area), but you can get it online now. I'm leaving on Wednesday for the BI and ordered a rush copy of the new book after reading about everything that had changed.

Have a great trip!
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 06:14 PM

The pictures, the maps...Plus they are a fun read. I'll take judgemental over boring anytime! I have quite a collection of Hawaii guidebooks and this series is - by far - my favorite despite its faults. I guess you'll have to choose the one that appeals to you the most. I find that once I actually get there, I depend on the research I've done in advance and spend almost no time looking at books, brochures, threads copied off this site, or anything else...
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 06:18 PM

I like the 'Oahu Revealed' book.

Just to add to klf214's response.

The website for the revealed series is:

www.wizardpub.com

After you enter, click on the symbol for the island you want.

Then you can click on: links

There is a lot of info on the site.

There are additional things, mostly for lodging, that you can enter the code number of your book.

Lots of other big island info:

www.bigisland.org

www.gohawaii.com

www.spotlighthawaii.com XXX (Big Island Gold)

www.thisweek.com XXX (This Week on Big Island)

www.101thingstodo.com XXX (101 Things Big Island)

www.hawaiiweb.com

www.alternative-hawaii.com

XXX: You can pick up hard copies of these for free at airport baggage area and many other places on Big Island.

This site is good for maps & restaurant reviews. Lots of detailed maps:

www.driveguidemagazines.com

Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 05:27 AM

My favorite travel series are the Moon Handbooks. The Big Island book offers lots of in-depth history, plus reviews of some B&B's, cottages, etc. in addition to just the resorty hotels.
Another excellent book is "Experience the Big Island" by John Penisten (2005). This one has great photos and is geared toward adventure and cultural experiences. I ordered mine from Amazon. I'm not a big fan of the 'Revealed" and "Ultimate" books.
I don't care for the way the chapters are organized.