Search

Big Island question: relieving one's self while hiking on lava

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:35 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Island question: relieving one's self while hiking on lava

I fully expect a few jokes and wise cracks, and that's quite OK, I love a funny thread. However, this is a serious question so if anyone knows the answer, I will be most grateful.

We plan to do the hike to see the lava flow into the ocean. I am told this will take a few hours and I fear that nature will call during that time. So what's a gal to do? On other long hikes in different parts of the world I have gone behind a bush to conduct my business, but only in the complete absence of other facilities. Obviously there will be no bushes on lava fields, hence no privacy. If I have to go badly enough, will I get into trouble for allowing the full moon to shine?

I know a lot of people on this board have visited the BI, so if you have any personal experience, please don't be shy about answering. I welcome all suggestions for dealing with this pressing issue. Thanks.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:47 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
2nd try posting! My daughter is hiking Mt. LeConte in a few weeks and we've talked about ordering this product - P-Mate. There was an article about it in my local paper.
www.goyourway.net
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:55 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Interesting idea, I've never heard of this product. If anyone sees me peeing while standing they will probably think I'm a he/she. But I'll never see those people again anyway, so who cares, right?

Thanks kybourbon.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:57 PM

Well, don't know about the view on open lava fields but a friend has a solution to prevent the full moon from shining. She wears a sweatshirt or overshirt tied around her waist while hiking in the woods and it serves as a screen, if you will, during the call of nature. At least it screens the view from behind!
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:00 PM

Oh yeah! We took my friend with us in 2002 and we made the mistake of getting burritos the night before we went on our lava hike in the middle of the night at Kilauea. I liquored up on the Pepto Bismol before going out, she didn't.

About 2 hours into it, with dawn slowly approaching, the burritos reared their ugly head. She knew she wouldn't be able to hike back the 3/4 mile in time. The thing about lava fields is some portions rise a little higher than others and she found a close by lava chair which had a nice little triangle complete with hole for her to hover over as though it was made for the purpose. She was very, very grateful for the travel toilet paper I made her carry. ($1 in the travel size section) If it had been a lower area, she was going to poo into a ziploc bag (we came with MANY) and ziploc it about 3x and put it in her backpack to throw away later.

The important thing? No one wants to step in a person pie when they're enjoying their hike, so come prepared with TP and lots of ziploc bags in case you aren't as blessed as my friend to find natures pre-made lava LAVAtory (sorry, had to do it)...then be responsible and wrap it up!

Aloha and have fun!
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:03 PM
TahitiTams

Hi P_M..
I would suggest the good ol' Depends..

Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:16 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Oh pele, that was too funny!! A person pie?? LOL!! I was thinking more of peeing than pies, but thanks for the reminder not to eat burritos before the hike. Instead I will eat something with a lot of cheese.

The idea for Depends is good too, and so is the T-shirt screen. Perhaps I should tie a second T-shirt screen around my front in order to shield that view as well. By using 2 T-shirts the full moon will be eclipsed, as well as the dark side of the moon.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:19 PM
Neopolitan

If the lava's still flowing, I suggest you not squat too low.

Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:38 PM

About a year ago some guy was relieving himself & accidently fell into a crater. They had to rescue mim.

So be careful! Pele doesn't like it!
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:42 PM
P_M
Original Poster

YIKES about falling into the crater!! It sounds like he survived, but how embarassing.

Neo, your comment has put a dozen or more jokes into my head. But in the interest of keeping this thread alive, I must keep them to myself.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:30 PM

P_M~there are lua's at the end of the pavement before setting out on the lava so you can use that before heading out. coming back in the dark you can pretty much squat anywhere, just turn off your flashlight and tell your husband not to shine his on you! the lava coming down the hill is in tubes now so not visible, but you can see it going into the ocean. also a 20-40 acre lava bench fell into the ocean today.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:32 PM
KFD

I hope this is okay for me to post, as I read through the terms when registering and didn't see anything to the contrary. I am the woman who runs the website www.goyourway.net and who brought P-mates to the US from Europe. I just want you to know, most of my customers are women who travel. They really do work and are easily used without any part of your body showing. They fit in an average pocket and can be folded in half and put in a ziplock bag for easy transport in and out of where ever you are. I would like to offer anyone interested, up to 100 people, a free sample. Just send me an email through my website with your address and I will send one off right away! I also have a 100% money back guarantee. I STAND BEHIND THIS PRODUCT! No pun intended! Take care, Karen Diamond
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:33 PM
Neopolitan

P_M, yea, I know. It took great restaint to let my comment go the way it was.

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 06:26 PM

Hey P_M - My sample PMate arrived and the hike is Sunday/Monday. Will report back and let you know how this works.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 06:28 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Can't wait, ky.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 06:01 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Hey ky, does it work?
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 06:07 PM

I used a similar contraption 20+ years ago - and was not pleased. Hopefully, technology has improved the design.

We're waiting, kybourbon!
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 06:18 PM

Interesting product.

I have a very active bladder so this product would come in pretty handy for me on trips to rural parts of the country.

Hope ky responds.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 06:22 PM
sistahlou

I love this thread....!!! Serious, yet funny! Isn't that all we want?

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 02:13 PM

Sorry guys! DD (the first D stands for ditzy)forget the PMate and we sure could have used it! There really wasn't anywhere to get off the trail as the brush was too dense or steep cliffs. I really think these would work, especially on a busy trail.

I'm in Cambridge, unpacking DD's dorm room junk and hopefully she packed the PMate. Her dorm always has a hike in New Hampshire in September and it will be another chance to try it. Did anyone else request a sample?

Hey Starrs! DD said to tell you to stay in the raft next time! She rafted the Natanhala a few years ago. That water is like ice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -