Reload this Page >

Big island people problem

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Kevin

I visit the Kona area once or twice a year. OUr favorite place to snorkel is Kealakakua Bay. The last time we were there a (white) local parked his big black Camry on the beach: if you've ever been there you know there is VERY little beach! My wife nicely asked if he could back his car up off the sand a little so we could sit there, and he became very angry and rude. His wife (assumption) also shot us dirty looks the whole time we were there. Is there some unspoken rule that we broke? Can anyone give me advise on how we might handle him the next time we go? And yes he'll probably be there, he has been there the last 3 times we've been there. Help!!!!!!!

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 03:16 PM
xxx

What does his color make a difference?

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 03:17 PM
xxx

I meant to write, why does his color make a difference?

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 03:21 PM
d

Advice is spelled with a "c".

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 03:29 PM
Jill

Kevin, While my family did not run into this particular problem when we visited Kona a few years ago { we did run into a small number of hostile folk in Hilo}, I suspect that there will always be the attitude of "natives vs tourists" in some islander's minds. We ran into this attitude in the small island of Ocacroke, NC, which made for a very uncomfortable stay. Islands, and small communities in general, can be very insular. The Big Island is larger, of course, and in our experience, the majority of it's inhabitants are friendly towards tourists. Yet they'll always be some - don't think that there's a whole lot you can do but smile and say aloha, and hope that you grow on the gentleman. If all else fails, find a beach where you'll feel more comfortable. Not worth an argument, in my mind. Good luck!

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 03:51 PM
hulachick

XXX- his color does not make a "difference". It is fairly common knowledge, hwever, among most people that travel to Hawaii (like surfers) that SOME (I am by no means saying all or even most) of the indigenous people (originally from Polynesia) do not care for white people ( it was chiefly "white" Americans who "colonized" Hawaii) & can be rude. It is unusual, therefore that a "white" (non-indigenous) local would act this way.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 04:06 PM
dcp

I used to live on the Big Island (Hilo) and there is definitely an attitude towards Haoles (mainlanders). What they gave you is called "stink eye" in the local pigeon english terms. I never had any real issues but you certainly need to be aware of your surroundings (not unlike any othe tourist place). Usually their bark (or stink eye) is worse than their bite (stare). However, tourist vehicles/rental cars are a favorite target for thiefs on all the islands.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 04:38 PM
Casey

Is this guy in his late 50's to early 60's, gray hair, pot belly, and his wife is pretty fat? If so, I've had a few run in's with them. Their problem is alcohol. I lived near Kona for years, and this couple moved in and claimed part of the beach for themselves. They're rude and nasty, and usually drunk (even in the morning). My advice is to steer clear if you can. I don't think the guy is playing with a full deck!!

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 10:56 PM
kerry

Kona is overrun with leftovers of the 60swho've smoked one joint too many, and younger aggressive yuppie types who come to sell real estate thinking they are surely smarter than the locals. I think they tend to resent tourists and newcomers the most.
That said, If he was there first, yes, you did break a rule by assking him to move the car. If you were there first and he parked on your towels, then you had reason to speak up. Give him space nest time. He won't remember you!

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 12:25 AM
xxx

The Big Island residents voted out of office their mayor who wanted to enforce the drug laws. Gives you a tiny glimpse of the make-up of the year-round residents there.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 03:18 AM
xxx

I don't think it's fair to say that the behavior described is representative of the residents of the Big Island. Granted, there is clearly a dug/alcohol problem, just as there is in many other areas of the country. And some residents have an attitude toward outsiders {dcp gave an excellent description!}. But, by and large, most are pleasant or at least will leave you be. They don't want bad karma; there is an Hawaiin word for this, but I can't recall it.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 03:36 AM
koa

If you have a run in with this derelict again called the police. Im not sure about the big island, but most counties in Hawaii have laws regarding parking vehicles on the beach.