Search

Big Island or Maui

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Island or Maui

Hello! Planning a trip in Feb. (last minute) to Hawaii. Have been to Maui and love it - but thinking maybe the Big Island this time. Would love any insight as to why the BI might be better. Also - anyone know good things about the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel? Thanks much in advance.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 05:22 PM

Well, everyone around here probably knows I love the Big Island best. I'll give you the same reasons I've posted in other threads: The B.I.'s Kohala Coast has the best resorts in the state of Hawaii. Truly a notch above most anything you've ever experienced! Also, the island is not as crowded as Maui. And finally--the east side of the Big Island is totally underrated. I think it is the most beautiful area in the state--blows the road to Hana away IMO.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 05:22 PM

Go to the Big Island, for the lava flow at night... wish it would have been flowing when I was there 2 years ago!

Old Jan 8th, 2004, 06:41 PM

Have been to both islands. Maui a little more busy at night than B.I. I think if you have been to Maui once you should really do B.I. one time too and make your own comparison. Also if you like scenery you should consider Kauai.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 07:07 PM

I used to live in Hawaii and suggest Hawaii (BI) & Kauai. While Maui is ok, it does not compare to what these two islands have to offer (IMHO).
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 06:29 AM

My husband and I just got back from a trip to Maui and the Big Island. I liked the Big Island WAY better than Maui. We stayed at the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel and loved it! It blew away the beach we had at the Four Season's in Maui. The hotel was very clean, and comfortable, too. I think our room was almost as nice as our Four Season's one, and it was a lot less money. Go for it!
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 06:57 AM

Have been to both.
They are just very different. Maui is more touristy. The Big Island is bigger, and to me seemed not as crowded. I love the Hapuna Beach Hotel--absolutely beautiful big beach, wonderful rooms--we were upgraded to a beach front room where we could walk directly out onto the beach--I haven't seen anything like this in Maui and have stay at both the Grand Wailea and the Fairmont Kea Lani--at both of these, the rooms are pretty far from the beach with a lot of intervening pools and yard.