Reload this Page >

Big Island "must sees"

Search

Big Island "must sees"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 05:11 AM
Carol

Big Island "must sees"

My husband and I will be on the Big Island for 9 days the week after Christmas on our honeymoon (slightly delayed from our April wedding--but we like the whole idea that we're going some where warm when it's cold at home!).

I'm trying to make an itinerary of things we need to see/do and have read lots of information, but would love any tips of things people consider "must sees." We'll be based out of Kona and will be staying near Volcano National Park for two nights, so we will have considerable time at the at VNP.

We do plan on taking a whale watching trip and we're going to take a kayaking trip. We're also considering Mauna Kea Summit Adventures.

Any suggestions would be helpful!

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 06:38 AM
Sandy

Aloha Carol,
Nine days isn't long to explore all the B.I. has to offer. If you have a little extra time to explore you might want to try the following route while you are on the volcano (east) side of the island. There is no other place like it.
If you have time to drive another 60 miles (one way) while you are on the Hilo side you might enjoy exploring this part of the island. Yes, this is the
rainy side, but the area is very tropical and not very populated. After
you explore Pahoa, a delightful hippy town, with great local resturants,
drive rt. 130 to the rt.137 coastal road all the way to the end where lava
covered the road in 1990. At the end of the road is Verna's, a great place to buy a snack. Along the way stop to see the lighthouse, Lava tree state park,
MacKenzie state park, Isaac Hale state park. There are some places along
the way where you can swim in warm water pools heated by the volcano.
Before you leave for your trip purchase a copy of the book The Big
Island Revealed. ( www.wizardpub.com)

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 06:44 AM
JMM

I highly recommend:
1. The Place of Refuge (Pu'uo Honaunau - sp?) - a historical park - very interesting and in a lovely location.
2. If you snorkel - The Fairwinds snorkeling tour to Kealakakua Bay is excellent

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 06:55 AM
Suzie

Horseback ride or hike the Waipi'o Valley. Very beautiful.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 12:43 PM
John R.

Yes, do the summit of Mauna Kea... but consider an alternative to Summit Adventures. If you go with a place like them you will be paying what, $300 for two of you? Now, if you rent a 4WD vehicle you can drive to the visitor's center then take a tour of the summit for free. This tour includes visits to at least one of the observatories (on my tour we went to two: Keck and NASA). I don't think the summit adventure folks actually get you inside an observatory. One thing to consider, nearly all the car rental companies make you sign an agreement saying you won't drive to Mauna Kea's summit. I guess they are worried about damage from the roads... the roads were not great but not too bad... you'd have to be a pretty bad driver to have a problem unless there was really adverse weather. The extra you pay for a 4WD is probably about the same as you would pay for the Summit Adventure tour and with your own car you get a better tour.

Something to think about at least. For more info check out the web site of the visitor's center: http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/info/vis/summittour.html

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 01:39 PM
hans

A couple repeats, a couple new-

Take the Fairwinds snorkle cruise in Kona; go in the morning

Spend some time at the Volcano - stay up there so you can get up in the park before the tourist buses arrive.

While at the Volcano - hike across Kilauea Iki crater; start early

Hike into Pololu Valley in Hawi

Stop in Waimea; eat at Merrimans

Visit Hulihee Palace in Kailua-Kona

Agree with "Big Island Revealed" by Doughty - best guide book out there

Old Oct 28th, 2001, 05:04 PM
Carol

Thanks for all of the replies. We do have The Big Island Revealed and alread love it--without being on the island yet.

John: Re: Mauna Kea Summit Adventures--we wanted to do their star gazing trip. Is it possible to go star gazing without going on a tour? We do have a 4WD rented, so we can drive up ourselves.

We were interested in the Fairwinds cruises, so it's good to hear recommendations about them.

What about Capt. Dan McSweeney's Whale watching boat trips? Anybody have any experience with them?

Thanks for all of the help. We are under two months away from departure and can't wait!!!

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 05:54 AM
John R.

As far as I could tell, there are no restrictions on access to the summit. The only thing you really need is a 4WD vehicle... there is a pretty rough stretch of road beginning right past the visitor's center that is left rough just to discourage large numbers of folks from going up there. Also, because of the high altitude, there are health concerns which are detailed on the visitor's center web site. I'd suggest paying close attention to what it says, just to be safe. So, you can go up there on your own if you want... If you go with the visitor's center free tour you go inside the observatories and then you are on your own to hike around the summit (hiking is tough at that altitude!) or to stay and watch the sunset. Upon your return to the visitor's center they have telescopes set up for some stargazing. When I was there it was a full moon so most of the stars were obscured and even the telescopes didn't help much.

Remember to do this on your own you have to be willing to risk breaking the car rental agreement. If you have any trouble on the mountain, you are completely responsible for the cost and consequences. That being said, we had no trouble driving up the Saddle road or the road to the summit and if you go slow it should be fine.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 08:33 AM
Tracey

Carol,
I broke the rental agreement in October and visited Mauna Kea. There was only a small portion of the road that is unpaved, and it's graded gravel. It was worth it, plan for a whole day there. The road is not bad at all, it's just very steep, that's why they insist on 4 wheel drive. They only offer the tours on Saturday and Sunday. You need to arrive at 1pm and stay for 1 hour at 9K feet to get acclimated. We packed a picnic lunch and ate there. They show you a movie about the history and then your on your way to the top. It took over 1/2 hour in 4L at 25 miles an hour. Once at the top we also visited NASA and Keck 1. The tour guide was great and could answer all our questions. We hiked to the actual summit and took some of the best photo's of our trip. We stayed for the sunset and it was worth it, but it got so cold, dress warmly! We headed down to the free stargazing program, which starts at dusk. This was back at the visitors center, and they set up telescopes and showed you different constellations.
Tracey

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 08:47 AM
Carol

Tracey and John: Thanks for the information. It's nice to hear that we'll be able to do stargazing from the visitor's center for free. I will check out the web site for VNP to check to see if we'll be able to do that. Saving $300 on that trip means we can do another thing we had not planned on doing--or we can splurge on something else. Thanks so much!

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 09:07 AM
sss

volcano at night

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 06:35 AM
Tracey

Carol,
Also go to see the Volcano at night like the previous poster said. This is not located in the Volcano Park, but off route 130. See the website at :http://www.co.hawaii.hi.us/informati...lava_news.html. This is a great thing to do as well. We went right before sunset. Be sure to bring a sweatshirt, good sneakers, and a flashlight. Most hotels or B&B's will loan you a flashlight. It's a mile walk to the lava flow area and takes 15 minutes. This was even better than the observatory. We have some great pictures, be sure to use high speed and open the shutter for longer. My husband wished he brought a tripod, but balanced the camera on rocks instead.
Have fun!

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 07:02 AM
Carol

Tracey: Thanks for the suggestion of using the tripod at the viewing area and a longer shutter speed. I just finished a photography class so I can't wait to get to Hawaii to take some great pictures!

Thanks for the tip!

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 06:15 AM
Rogermx

Don't forget to see Akaka Falls north of Hilo. They are spectacular plus you get a chance to take a nice walk through the rain forest.

Also, don't expect to get real close to the lava flow. It is dangerous. Read the warnings at the Hawaii Volcanos Park website. Also, the lava changes its path constantly and isn't always flowing above ground. However, it was
beautiful to see. You absolutely need a flashlight for each person - there is no lighting in the parking area or on the route to the observation area.

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 11:03 PM
Linda

Don't miss Laupahoehoe Point Beach Park north of Hilo. That is where the tsunami killed many people. It is my favorite spot on that side of the island. And a regular car will make it to the summit of Mauna Kea--unless the weather is bad. There could be snow in January. Don't miss eating at Quinn's Almost by the Sea in Kailua Kona. Great food and great prices. Huggo's on the Rocks is a great place to enjoy a cocktail and watch the sunset. The prime rib pupu platter is great. Hulihee Place is definitely worth the admission price.

Most important? Don't try to see everything or you will need a vacation when you get home. Relax and enjoy this beautiful island.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 11:03 AM
sss

Waipio Valley check out photos on internet.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 10:20 AM
cg

Just got back from the Big Island - you will have a great time! VNP is amazing - we loved it even though we didn't manage to get down and watch the lava at night since we were staying on the exact opposite corner of the island... I wanted to reiterate Linda's suggestion of Lapahoehoe beach. It is gorgeous! We loved the whole drive up the shore north of Hilo. There are lots of deep gorges with waterfalls and lots of stunning coast vistas.

We drove up to the top of Mauna Kea and were on our way down before we discovered that the Jeep we rented didn't actually have 4WD working. Fortunately, we didn't have any problems. We didn't stop at the visitor's center to acclimate and were very woozy at the top - the altitude really gets to you, and we've been up high in the Rockies several times with no problems. It's much harder going straight up from sea level.

Our other favorite things were watching sea turtles off the rocks in Kona (find one of the little rocky beaches where there aren't swimmers or surfers, and watch for little heads popping up), and watching Manta Rays from the Manta Ray Point at the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel. Their casual restaurant, The Pavilion, had the best fish dishes although it was quite pricey (as is the rest of the hotel, where we stayed). But afterwards, we walked down to the point, which is lit up with a couple spotlights, and watched the rays circling around below the light for about half an hour. It was great! They seemed to show up early (between 7 & 8) and be gone later.

Have a great trip! It is really an awesome place.