Reload this Page >

Big Island, Maui, or Kauai for honeymoon in March

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 05:15 AM
Melanie

My fiance and I finally settled on Hawaii after all the wonderful help you all have provided. At first, I really wanted to spend 4-5 nights on the Big Island and 4-5 nights on Kauai. We are going March 17-27, 2000. Now after reading more messages, I'm not sure we have made the best choices on islands.We would like to spend some time on pretty, swimable beaches. Are the "best" beaches on Maui-and what area? I need opinions on which of the two islands to choose: Big Island, Kaui, or Maui. We are not into nightlife much, but prefer nature type day outings, quiet, not crowded, beach and water activities. Thanks so much for all your input! You're great

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 10:52 AM
Chuck

Hi Melanie, First let me say congrats on your upcoming wedding. My wife And I went to Maui on our honey moon in 1992 at the age of 26. Next month we will be married seven years and our returning to Hawaii for the 6th time in those seven years. So as you can see, I am a huge fan of the islands (and have been to all 4 major islands multiple times) and hopeI can give you some advice.

My first advice is don't worry-all the islands are beautiful (but different) and you will have a great time no matter where you choose. That being said My own personal ranking would be 1. Maui, 2.Kauai. 3. Hawaii.
Now for reasons which may or may not jive with what your looking for.

Maui- We like Maui the best for its variety of activities. It has nature and areas for hiking (Iao valley and some of the parks on the way to Hana, Haleakala) but also has an abundance of more modern activities (great snorkeling, sailing, golf). We also like the nightlife it offers with Front street in Lahaina having great shops and bars. Lastly, the restaurant choices are phenomenal, much to choose from. In all, to us its the best of both worlds-beauty and convenience. If you choose Maui don't miss the rosd to Hana, Haleakala at sunrise, and snorkeling at Molokini.
Kauai is probably the prettiest of your three choices. It is not nearly as developed as Maui but there is still plenty to do. It has two of the best hotels in the entire state in my opinion the Princeville and the Hyatt. There are plenty of restaurants and things to do. For less crowded beaches, Kauai is great. We were last there last May and on one beach, not more than 5 miles from the airport, there were less than 10 people on a weekday afternoon. Don't miss a trip to Waimea Canyon, and go north towrds hanele Bay for some awesome sightseeing. But idf you choose, I like to stay on the south side in Poipu, the North side is a rain forest and the weather can be unpredictable.

My last choice would be Hawaii. We stayed at the Hilton at Waikoloa, which is unbelievable huge with the dolphin swim, monorails to the rooms etc..The resort was great but we just didn't find the island that attractive and didnt find a lot of appealing activities. In fact the only two things I can remeber doing were the National Park (pretty good) and a tour of a coffee company (not so good). so we ended up spending alot of time at the resort and the golf course. if this appeals to you it might be your best choice-it will definetly be the least crowded. Hope this helps, feel free to e-mail me with any specific questions.

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 07:01 PM
Ruth

OK..I have said it before and I will say it again.

Honeymooners have to go to Kaua'i.

It is so lush and green and the epitome of romance and true Hawaii.

You can just soak in the environment and each other.

The heck with nightlife on your HONEYMOON>

Snorkel and hike and beach it and eat incredible fresh ahi and run into town in your flipflops and bathing suits to get fish tacos and hawaiian knickknacks. Sit on the lanai and drink Kona coffee. Stare at a sunset with your tropical drinks.

Kaua'i is just so romantic. It smells of fresh ginger. Maui doesn't have those smells when you get off of the plane!

I think that Maui is great for families with kids. Lots of stuff to do with them.

But for two of you who are in love...go to where the nature is raw. Go to where there are no high rises.

Bask in pure fresh sweet smells of true Hawaii.

Better yet...head to Lanai or Molok

Old Apr 28th, 1999, 07:06 AM
tammy

Hi Melanie! I agree totally with Chuck's observations and recommendations. We have been to Maui twice and Kauai and the Big Island once. We visited Maui, Kauai and the Big Island last summer. Maui is probably our favorite island, but Kauai is right up there as a close second. Maui just has more to offer in the way of restaurants, activities, etc. It also has more swimmable beaches I think. We stayed at the Hyatt on Kauai and it is an incredibly gorgeous property. The beach is very nice, but the ocean is rough at the Kauai and not very swimmable. There are some swimmable beaches I believe on Kauai though. On Maui we stayed at the Hyatt the first visit in 1995 and then last year we stayed at the Sheraton. The beach in front of the Sheraton is fabulous with good snorkeling. The Kapalua Bay beach is also good for swimming and snorkeling and Napili Bay too. The beach in front of the Hyatt is not good for swimming as there is a lot of coral right offshore there. Both properties are very nice though. On the Big Island there are not that many beaches it seems. We stayed at the Hilton and there was not even a beach there. I did not really like the Big Island. It was interesting to visit Volcanoes National Park for one day, but the island is really not even that pretty, just interesting. I wish we had only gone to the B.I. for one day instead of four. It is just really different. My recommendation would be to go to Maui and Kauai and if you have to see the live volcano then just go over to the B.I. for a day. You can get day trips from Maui to the B.I. You will be sorry that you left Kauai or Maui for the B.I.-- believe me I was!!!! I am sure there are lots of people that disagree with me though, so this is just my opinion! Whatever you decide I am sure that you will love Hawaii. It is truly a magical and special place!!! Best wishes on your upcoming marriage. Aloha!

Old Apr 28th, 1999, 08:11 AM
Danielle

Melanie,
I also agree with Chuck and Tammy. The only thing I'll add is that if you stay in Maui, stay in an area call Wailea. It's fairly quiet and extremely beautiful. The Four Seasons is a fabulous resort. You'll love it. Congrats.

Old Apr 28th, 1999, 08:43 AM
Tim

Melanie, we're heading to Maui and Kauai for our honeymoon in September. I'm sure you're looking for some ideas from people who have already been there. However, like yourself, we're not interested in nightlife etc. I have some day trips and activities already scheduled, send me an email if you want more info.

Old Apr 30th, 1999, 10:39 AM
mfoshee

I can't make valid comparisons between Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island -- I've only been to Kauai. But I go every year, and I can't say enough about the beauty, traquility, peacefulness... I think it's the perfect honeymoon destination. 10 people on the same beach would be a crowd there!

Althought the North Shore does have more eclectic weather, I would (and do) always stay on that side of the island. It's much more lush and beautiful. There is fabulous hiking. And I think the beaches on that side are prettier. Also the little town of Hanalei is so quaint and inviting.

There's not much nightlife, but I go for relaxation, peace, and quiet.

Hope you have a great time.