Big Island, Maui or Combo July 2019

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2018, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done tons of research. But I just can't decide.

Traveled in 2014 to Oahu, Kauai and Maui.
We all LOVED Kauai, really liked Oahu and liked Maui just ok (I liked it more than others)...BUT
we were also tired of the go go go by the time we got to Maui so we just chilled...
so I feel didn't give it a fair shot...

Planning trip July 2019 and thought Big Island...but I just can't get excited about it for some reason... I was going to do 6 or 7 nights Kohala coast and 2 nights hilo or VNP.

I was excited about hiking, waterfalls, black beach, manta ray snorkel. But I feel like we'll just be driving from one event to the next without time to relax? Ideally we'd do 1 or 2 all day adventrue days but the rest of the time would be half days...

4 of us like to snorkel 1 not so much...we all want to surf. We all love to hike, kayak.

We love to stop and enjoy sunset on the beach take long walks grab nice bite, etc. Play cards on balcony. Swim at pool and ocean.

So then I thought maybe just immersing ourselves in Maui would be similar idea to big island...
but give us the beach chill time too...

We could do an overnight in Hana to make that trip less stressful and more relaxing, We could do Haleakalā afternoon and stay for sunset and stargazing. Another time we could do half day hike, half day surf, half day kayak and snorkel trip, etc.

We did not do Hana, Haleakala or the kayak snorkel trip last time on Maui.

But then I thought maybe we could combine Maui and Kauai, because Kauai in Summer...LOL...

Our older teens will be 16 18 20. and Hubby and I late 40s.

I'm the planner. The family just shows up and says 'what are we doing?'...

Thanks for any insight...
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 01:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
With only 9 nights (is that correct?) I'd pick one island. Sounds like you are most excited about either Kauai or Maui??
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 02:28 PM

Choose one - otherwise, you are likely to have a repeat of your last experience. There is no wrong answer to the question
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by TnTWalter
Planning trip July 2019 and thought Big Island...but I just can't get excited about it for some reason... I was going to do 6 or 7 nights Kohala coast and 2 nights hilo or VNP.

I was excited about hiking, waterfalls, black beach, manta ray snorkel. But I feel like we'll just be driving from one event to the next without time to relax? Ideally we'd do 1 or 2 all day adventrue days but the rest of the time would be half days...

We love to stop and enjoy sunset on the beach take long walks grab nice bite, etc. Play cards on balcony. Swim at pool and ocean.

So then I thought maybe just immersing ourselves in Maui would be similar idea to big island...
but give us the beach chill time too...
If I'm reading this correctly, your big concern with the Big Island is lack of beach/relaxation time.

There's nothing forcing you to go go go all day if you choose the Big Island. If you want to do half day adventures followed by relaxing the rest of the day...do it.
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 04:33 AM

Just keep in mind that compared to your other Hawaii experiences, the scale of the Big Island is huge...not sure if you have been there before, but, if you have only been to smaller islands, there is more driving involved on BI. It can be a relaxing vacation, but with proper planning on where you stay & when...I agree, 9 days = one island.
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TJM_70
Just keep in mind that compared to your other Hawaii experiences, the scale of the Big Island is huge...not sure if you have been there before, but, if you have only been to smaller islands, there is more driving involved on BI. It can be a relaxing vacation, but with proper planning on where you stay & when...I agree, 9 days = one island.
that's why I'm thinking it's not going to be relaxing..but maybe wrong.

also I would add another night if did Maui and Kauai.

Thanks.
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 10:33 AM

I still wouldn't advise you to divide your time between two islands. You will have a better experience if you choose one island.

Anyplace can be relaxing if you schedule in relaxing time. It sounds like you are someone who feels they must see all of the "attractions" so you spend too much time driving around and not enough time relaxing.
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 11:59 AM

Just pick one island, Kauai has my heart, but have also been to both Big Island and Maui and would pick BI due to it being less built up and more laid back. Everyone has their favorites, so the choice is up to you.
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 12:17 PM

Our favorite is the Big Island. Our condo is in rural Ka'u and we enjoy the really authentic vibe and local feeling there. We visited Maui for a few days on our last trip and WOW - what a difference. It was lovely, just not what we associate with being in Hawaii after spending considerable time on the Big Island over the past years. So, give me Hawaii Island any day over the others. Just an opinion - as others have said, everyone has their own favorites for their own reasons.

However, if you can find 10 - 11 days to be on the Big Island, you'll have plenty of time to take in the sites, have some adventures and also not be rushed. It's a key to a great Hawaiian vacation - to not rush.

If you have not been to the Big Island before, you'll want to stay on both sides to minimize driving. We are fairly close to the Volcanoes National Park, and in the evenings I feel so sorry for other mainlanders who have to travel back to Kailua Kona or Kohala Coast from the park at night. It's far. And it's not easy driving!

Exploring the Hamakua Coast and windward / south portions of the island are made easier by staying in that area for a few days. Especially if it's your first trip.

Kailua-Kona or Kohala resorts area for 6 or 7 days and then windward or southern part of the island for 3 - 4 days. Do the things you should do in each place and cut back on your unnecesary driving that way. It is possible to spend hours in the car at a time on the BI - unlike other islands where all drives are relatively short (unless you are stuck in the ungodly Maui traffic!).

There is so much to do on the Big Island. So many unique places to see. Take your time and have a plan to adventure and relax.
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 02:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think on any of the islands you can be on the go-go-go all day long or you can relax at the beach and do much of nothing. That has nothing to do with which island you choose. Either way can be done any place really.