Big island Itenerary after Christmas

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2003, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm working on a Hawaii trip for after Christmas this year. There will be four of us, 2 adults, and 2 kids (11 and 14 years old), all experienced travellers. It will be for my husband's and my twentieth wedding anniversary. We had planned to visit both the Big Island and Kauai, but decided to put off the Kauai portion until some summmer, so we can take a boat trip along the Na Pali Coast. Here's our tentative itenerary:

Dec 29-31: Fly to Keahole airport from Durango, Colorado. Rent a car, and stay 2 nights at Keauhou Beach Hotel. Take a snorkel cruise to refuge and Captain Cook monument area.

Dec 31-Jan 3: Spend day driving southern route to Volcano NP. Arrive at Kilauea Lodge for anniversary dinner. Stay in Tutu's cottage. 3 nights at KL. 2 full days visiting Volcanos NP area.

Jan 3-6: Spend day visiting Hilo, then 3 nights in Kapoho area at B&B or vacation rental. B&B can loan us kayaks and snorkel equipment. It doesn't sound like kayaks would work at that time of year. Explore Puna area.

Jan 6-9: Drive northern route to visit Akaka Falls, Waipio, etc. 3 nights Outrigger Waikaloa. Luau one night. Husband takes tour to top of Mauna Kea one night.

Jan 9: Flight back to Durango leaving at 10:15pm.

I know this is a lot of moving around, but we pack light. We tend to like walking in lush rainforests and swimming, not necessarily at a beach. We like museums, soaking up local culture, doing oddball things. We don't mind a little rain. Any comments?

Thanks!
Old May 5th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old May 7th, 2003, 10:14 AM
kip

Sounds like an excellent trip. We spent a month last Christmas on Oahu/Big Island. We spent 5 nights at Waikiki (a little on the long side), 18 days on the Big Island, and then our last week on the northshore of Oahu. Our kids are younger (ages 5 and 9) so we stayed put a bit more. We would love to do a trip like yours when they are a bit more portable. There is so much to see on the Big Island and your itinerary covers the great spots. We have, in the past, stayed up in Volcano and then driven down to Kapoho to play in the warm pools. It's actually a bit of a trek so staying down there would be great. Volcano can fill up several days. Be sure to do a night visit to the lava flow. The hikes up there are great as is the Jagger Museum. Be sure to hit the Hilo Farmer's Market on a Saturday or Wednesday morning. It is pretty amazing and the prices are incredible. We visited the Tsunami Museum, wish we had also visited the Lyman House museum in Hilo. Pahoa area near Kapoho is a trip back in time- think 1960's. Pretty fun. I would recommend a drive down to Laupahoehoe after a trip to the Tsumani museum. It is very moving and very scenic. We were able to stay three days in the Waipio Treehouse as it's last guests a few years ago. Our kids still talk about the wild horses in the valley. It is eden-like down there and a horseback trip into the valley would be a great thing to add to your itinerary. Lots of great hikes in that area too. (And you must stop at Tex's Drive Inn on the Hamakua Coast for malasada's!) Use Keahou as a base to visit the Place of Refuge-excellent snorkling as well as great historical sight. Kealakekua Bay is also a great kayaking and snorkling spot although it gets a bit crowded by early afternoon. Waikoloa at the end allows you some resort and beach time. Biggest tip- rent a minivan. Makes all of the loading and unloading and driving much more enjoyable. Aloha.
Old May 7th, 2003, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kip! Your feedback is great. I had thought about a Waipio horseback trip, and we'll probably go for that. I wish we could stay in the treehouse. Thanks for suggestions regarding timing of various activities, as well.
Old May 7th, 2003, 05:49 PM

Be sure that your husband knows not to do any scuba diving 24 hours prior to his ascent on Mauna Kea. This can have serious consequences.

Except for our very first trip, we have always stayed on the Kona side of the Big Island since it is dryer. But the Hilo side is greener. Sounds like a great trip!
Old May 13th, 2003, 06:51 PM

Don't forget the whales!