Reload this Page >

big Island hawaii vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 1997, 05:42 PM
R Macmillan

We are going to the Big Island in Feb 98. We are looking for any info on hotels(100 dollar range),must see things to do and beaches. Any help you provide will be greatly appreciated!
Thks

Old Jan 5th, 1998, 10:14 PM
andrea

Just got back 1-4-98! On the Big Island we stayed at the Keauhou Beach Hotel. Except for price ($150/night) this was a disappointment. Very mediocre rooms, view was fair, grounds were pretty, pool not heated, snorkeling good. We did not want to be in hotel any more that we had to due to the atmosphere. Feel free to e-mail me! Andrea

Old Jan 9th, 1998, 01:13 AM
Janice Nagano

Was there in May '97 and had a good time at the Volcano House in the town of Volcano.

It's not new and sparkling, but cozy and ski lodge-like. It's pretty small, but was fine with us. Get a room with a crater view (Kilueia crater, sp?). The Big Island is my favorite. So much geology. It's more barren than lush Kauai, but still amazing. There's plenty to see, and if the lava is flowing you can hike out to it. Or you can take a helicopter ride over the volcano.

Besides Volcano, the other main towns to stay are Hilo (rainy side) or Kona (sunny side). Kona is the more popular tourist area, with big Kmarts (or Walmarts) and all.

Any other questions, feel free to e-mail.

Old Jan 19th, 1998, 09:21 PM
J. Peck

If you're looking for a good deal in the Kona area, I'd recommend renting a condo rather than staying in a hotel. There are lots of reasonably price spots all along Alii drive between Kona and Keahou. Go to the West Hawaii Today (the local newspaper) website (westhawaiitoday.com) and check out the classified ads. There are several management companies listed and individual condos listed. Or, just do a web search under Hawaii Condos or something. Or, try WorldWide Travel Exchange (wwte.com)

Old Jan 21st, 1998, 05:07 PM
Mike

We've stayed on the big island several times. A good deal in kona is the royakona (www.royalkona.com), it used to be a Hilton and they're running a special at the internet site $70/night. The rooms are nice the pool is good too. No beach, just a sheltered lagoon, so you may not want to spend more then 2-3 nights there. The royal waikaloan (sp?) is about 120$/night, older nice beach. Also there's a lodge just outside of Volcano park called the Kileua Lodge, about 100$/night, GREAT rooms some fireplaces (you need them), and the Dining room serves very good Game meals (we 1st found out about this throu Bon Appetite' 30$/person w/ wine. Feel free to eemail me.