Big Island, Hawaii - Snorkeling

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 01:46 PM
hawaii

Big Island, Hawaii - Snorkeling

I will be visiting the Big Island of Hawaii in March of 2002. Are there any snorkeling tour companies you would suggest? what did you like best about it? Are there any tours you would avoid?
Mahalo so much for the help!

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 05:10 AM
wouldlike

to the top

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 12:13 PM
David

I highly recommend the Fairwinds snorkel cruise to Keakakua Bay. I believe their websites www.fairwind or winds.com. We loved it!

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 01:55 PM
jmm

I agree with David. We enjoyed our Fairwinds snorkeling very much.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 08:20 PM
M Nielsen

Recently returned from the Big Island. We took a catamaran trip arranged through Hualalai Watersports (i think that was the name). The boat left from our resort, Kona Village Resort, in the morning and took us to beautiful white sand Kua Bay. There was very nice snorkeling there and a beautiful pristine white sand beach without one person on it. It cost about $75 per person and they supplied all the gear, which was very high quality. I enjoyed it alot as a beginning snorkeler. We didn't snorkel at Kealakekua Bay or at the Site of Refuge, but they both looked like wonderful places to do it. In retrospect, I wish we would have done more snorkeling in these locations. Have fun.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 10:17 AM
Bec

Are there any good snorkling tours on the Hilo side of the island? what about kayak and snorkling tours?

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 05:49 PM
M Nielsen

Bec -- I'm no expert, and I can't comment on kayaking. BUT, I have been told that the snorkeling conditions are much better on the Kona side of the island mostly because it is dry with very little water run off from land into the ocean. These conditions make for very clear water and high visibility. From what I observed during my visit, the waters on Kona were much calmer than in Hilo. A good source to refer to is www.wizardpub.com - they published an excellent guidebook on the Big Island.