Big Island for 13 days on a budjet

Mar 23rd, 2000, 09:31 AM
Donna

Big Island for 13 days on a budjet

I just seprated form my husban our trip was planed for June, the fights are paid for. I want to go any way with my kids. Need some low cost things to do.

Gammage

Mar 25th, 2000, 05:53 PM
Kim

Rent a kayak (about $40/day 2 person) and kayak to Kealakekua Bay. Beautiful!Rent a boogie board and go to Hapuna Beach for the day. Rent snorkel gear and talk to lots of people to find all the great snorkeling spots. Go to volcano and stop at all the pullouts and learn about volcanoes. ($10/car intrance fee) Do the different hikes in volcano. Drive up to top of Mauna Kea and watch the sunset or sunrise, try to plan it when you can do a tour of one of the observatories (only certain days). Drive down Waipio Valley (or hike if no 4x4)and check it out (to the back) and enjoy the peace. These are the things that come to the top of my head. Drop me a line if you want to know any specifics.

Sep 16th, 2004, 10:20 AM

I have not checked it out myself but Lonely Planet's BB called the Thorn Tree has a "Traveling Companions" branch. www.lonelyplanet.com

What about adding some kind of organized activity like a cooking class or a hiking or biking tour? Even a guided tour thru a museum if you made a point to chat with others and mention the possibility of dinner if you found a single or couple you liked?

As I often do! I agree with P_M and her tips for successful solo dinners.

Sep 17th, 2004, 03:57 PM

Funny, in one restaurant, the waiter took my order and then came back with magazines and papers for me. I guess he didn't want me to be bored.
Sep 17th, 2004, 05:35 PM

I've traveled as a single woman all over the world and really enjoy the opportunity to meet other travelers - which is much easier as a solo traveler than it is when you are traveling with a friend/spouse. When I was in Italy in March, I shared a dinner table one night with a wonderful young couple from London and another night with a single woman from Paris. I love meeting people from all over the world, which is one reason I love to travel solo. I'll be in Rome from Nov. 7-12, if anyone wants to meet for dinner.
Martha