Search

Big Island

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 1999, 07:38 AM
Maurie

Big Island

Planning a trip to BI in January. Deciding between 2 resorts - Mauna Kea Beach Hotel and Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel. Does anyone have any information about either of these places? Read some of the messages about BI resorts already but didn't see anything about these 2? It's starting to make me wonder... Thanks for info.

Old Nov 30th, 1999, 10:50 AM
michele

Maurie,
Although I did not stay at either of these hotels ( I rented a condo), both have beautiful grounds and lobbies. The beach at the Mauna Kea is lovely for swimming as is the beach at Hapuna. I doubt you would be disappointed with either.( Have you looked into the Mauna Lani? My sister stayed there last year and loved it).

Old Dec 1st, 1999, 01:41 PM
Maurie

Thanks for info Michele - I will check it out. Also interested in the golf that these resorts have to offer, if anyone has any knowledge, please reply.

Old Dec 2nd, 1999, 04:27 AM
gp

A few notes to consider...

These resorts are next to each other and under the same Management Company. They are located on the northern most reaches of the "Big Island's Gold Coast". Almost 25 miles from the airport and 32 miles from Kona. At this location you'll probably want to rent a car.

The beach located at these resorts is outstanding. December - March is considered high season. If you are able to find oceanview rooms at under $200/225 per night you've done great!!

These resorts in the past have catered to and marketed themselves to the Japanese market. While the other resorts - 4 Season, Hilton Waikoloa, Kona Village, The Orchid, Outrigger Waikoloa and Mauna Lani Bay have been more diverse in their marketing. This
is probably why the Fodor's posts mention the above hotels more often.

Golf abounds on the "Big Island", at the airport pick-up the welcome guides; they usually have coupon for discounted golfing.

The best way to familiarize yourself with Hawaii is to purchase "Hawaii - The Big Island Revealed" by Andrew Doughty & Hariett Friedman. This guidebook can be purchased online from Amazon.com for about $13. & S/H. It's the best!!!

As Michele mentioned, I also believe which ever resort you choose, neither will disappoint.

Have a wonderful vacation!!!

Old Dec 2nd, 1999, 09:59 AM
michele

Both my sister and brother-in-law are golfers and they both swear by the Mauna Lani golf course. I will send them your email address as they are a wealth of information on the BI.

Old Dec 2nd, 1999, 12:42 PM
Maurie

Michele and gp@yahoo: Thanks so much for all the information. Michele, received an e-mail from Rick and will be giving him a call in the near future to discuss. Again, thanks for all your help. Aloha!

Old Dec 2nd, 1999, 07:37 PM
Bill

For what it's worth, both Zagat and the Conde Nast Gold List ratings slightly favor the Mauna Kea. I've visited both but stayed at the Orchid. I'd pick MK if the price waere comparable. You won't go wrong with either.

Old Dec 3rd, 1999, 08:30 PM
Diane

I stayed at the Hapuna and thought it wonderful. Understated elegance with an oriental feel. My room was very nice with a far view to the water. Given a choice I would stay at Mauna Kea over Hapuna, but in either case you can't go wrong. They have outstanding golf courses.