Search

Big Island

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Island

We are planning a trip this spring/summer to the BI. We have been to Maui several times, and last year to Kauai. I usually rent thru VBRO. With the BI, so large, do I need to split my time between different parts of the island? Which part of the island should I begin my search to find accommodations? Would like to be near swimmable beaches. Thanks.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 06:32 AM

Do a search here and you'll come up with LOTS of suggestions on places to stay. Yes, you need to split your stay since Volcano is SO far away! Most do it between Kohala and Volcano. There are no swimmable beaches with accommodations nearby near Volcano, but you can definitely have those in Kohala.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 07:10 AM

Maybe one or two nights near Volcano NP, to be sure to catch the sunset and sunrise, see the park, and have a leisurely sight-seeing trip back to beaches. Probably depends on how much hiking you want to do. But the straight drive back to, for example, Kona is about 2 hours. The best beaches are primarily on the west side; Kona coast, Kailua, Waikoloa, Kohala, etc. (I'm presuming that staying "between" there and Volcano refers to time?).
VRBO is great for those resort areas, but not so much for Volcano.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, this is just such a big island, compared to the others we have visited. We love "light to moderate hiking, hopefully it is a little easier than Kauai. We are tossing around either the big island or oahu, which is your preference?
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 08:08 AM

The Kilauea Iki hike in VNP is quite interesting and relatively easy. You might consider staying in the Puna district instead of Volcano. It's sunnier and warmer there. There are tidepools to snorkle. It's about 45 min - 1 hr to volcano. Check out www.apoparadise.com for an idea of the types of rentals available.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 06:35 PM

Not near the beach but in 2006 we stayed at a VBRO condo outside Hilo and was extremely pleased.

We looped the BI in a (long) day and if I did it again, I'd split my time between Hilo and Kona.

Mike Honeycutt
www.mikehoneycutt.com

================

From my notes:

Aloha Amauloa Condo
Christine Yasuhara
[email protected]
(808)982-6533 (808)936-0724
http://www.vrbo.com/61165

This condo was the highlight of the places we stayed on this trip. It was located about 20 minutes outside of Hilo. The pictures on the web are good, but the condo is even better. The price was very good and the setting was in the country. I highly recommend this condo.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 07:00 PM

If swimming is a priority, the only decent swimmable beach is at Hapuna and the only hotel there is on the high end. The closest VRBO is probably going to be in Waimea.