Reload this Page >

Big Island - 1st time trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 07:46 PM
Susan

Will be spending 2 weeks on the Big Island.
Looking for suggestions 1)where to stay, 2)things to see and do, 3) restaurants 4) helicopter trip and 5) any useful info.
Thank you.

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 09:29 PM
Charlie

You'll likely get more suggestions than you can handle. Here are some to start you off. 1) If you want to take a helicopter ride over Volcanoes Natl Park, do it at the park and not from Kona; much less expensive and just as thrilling. 2) For local color, try Teshima's for lunch or dinner; it's in Captain Cook City, south of Kona. 3) Do take the Saddle Road. Car rental companies tell you not to but it's absolutely beautiful and easy to drive. Just a few stretch of slightly rough road. 4) If you stay near Volcanoes Natl Park, check the lodging at Chataeu Kiluea...for privacy, ask about the Ohia House; it sits amid Ohia trees and fern forest (best for two.
5) Don't miss the snorkeling south of Kona; someone else will have to add the name of the State Beach but the number of colorful fish is incredible and the water is quite calm; arrive early before the tour buses. 6) Check out Koholo Bay north of Kona and also north of the new Four Seasons. You reach it from the road via a trail through Acacia (about 1.5 miles) or by crossing a marked lava flow. Don't cross the lava rock if it's hot, which it will be by midday. The reward is a farily isolated bay with Green Sea turles. Good place to get away from the crowds.

Old Sep 18th, 1999, 05:30 PM
Kelly

Susan,

Since you'll have 2 whole glorious weeks, I would consider splitting up your lodging between the 2 sides...3-4 days in the Hilo/Volcano area and the remaining days in the Kona/Kohala area. There is a reason they call it the BIG Island and it is well worth the packing/unpacking. I would do the Hilo side 1st and see all the wonderful sights in this area - Volcanoes Nat'l Park, Akaka Falls, Botanical Gardens, Lyman Museum, etc. There is not a lot of "high end" lodging in Hilo, we stayed at Hilo Hawaiian which was fine, but very simple. There are some very nice inns near the Volcano, namely Kilauea Lodge which is well known for it's wonderful restaurant. Your choices in the Kona/Kohala area are vast. It really depends on what you're looking for (condo, resort, fancy, low-cost, etc.) The Kona side is the warmer, sunnier side, and a great area for activities or to just veg-out. Lots of great snorkel/scuba spots, whale watching (Dec-Apr), ranch land, and historical sights. I belive there are 11 of the 13 climates on the Big Island so there truly is something for everyone. Let me know if you need more specifics. I could (obviously) go on and on.

Kelly

Old Sep 19th, 1999, 03:23 PM
Sandy

Aloha Susan,
My husband and enjoyed the Puna district of the Big Island. Check out the hippy town of Pahoa,(all kinds of great resturants) the Lava Tree state park and the (now inland, because of the lava flow)lighthouse. Swim in the volcano warmed Millionare's Pond, snorkel at Vacationland tide pools, amazing fish and coral. This rain forest area is very tropical, not very popoulated, and very beautiful. Have a great trip.

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 01:08 PM
John

Definitely stay in different parts of the island. We put serious miles on our rental car last January.
Pick up the Big Island Beach and Activity Guide at the airport, or go to www.beachactivityguide.com Although it is a tourist publication, there is a lot of good info, particularly prices and departure times for tours.
We took the blue hawaiian helicopter tour out of Hilo. Be advised that sometimes the weather/winds don't cooperate and either your flight could get canceled or be less than what you expected. When we went there was only lava seen as it fell into the ocean. Still worth seeing though.
If you like to snorkel, go to Kealakekua Bay. Fair Wind runs a large catamaran to it, but it gets a bit crowded and the water gets hazy with all the sunscreen. If you don't mind paddling, rent a kayak and do it yourself. Feed the fish at Kahalu'u beach. Not much coral and not as pretty, but tons of fish. Watch out, they will take the food right out of your hands. Next time I will try the Manta dives, where you dive (or snorkel) at night while the giant Manta Rays are feeding on plankton. I read a great review of it in Sierra Magazine and saw them from the shore when I was there.
The Four Seasons hotel (which is gorgeous, but out of my price range) has a beach cafe that has great food and entrees that are reasonable ($10-20). Roy's in Waikoloa has great food but is a little expensive and didn't have the ambience like the Four Seasons cafe. The Keei cafe has great fish, but is very difficult to find at night (get a mile marker number when making reservations)
We were disappointed in the canal paddle tour (Kohala Mountain Kayak, I think), and wouldn't recommend it. We wish we had more time to spend in Waipio valley.
Bay View Farm has a nice little coffee plantation tour. www.bayviewfarmcoffees.com
Let me know if you need any golf info.

Old Sep 25th, 1999, 06:33 PM
Susan

Sandy, where are the places that you wrote about?

Susan.

Old Sep 26th, 1999, 08:44 AM
Sandy

Aloha Susan,
The areas I spoke of are south of Hilo off route 137 between Hilo and The Volcano National Park. In fact, route 137 comes to a dead end because the volcano covered the road back a few years back. We stayed in a cottage at Kapoha beach. If you are interested in renting this cute little oceanview cottage, take a look at the web sight www.apoPardise.com. Feel free to E-Mail me if you need more info on this area. Hope I've been of help.
Sandy

Old Sep 26th, 1999, 07:22 PM
Lani

Susan,

With all due respect to Sandy, I would consider splitting my time between the Kohala Coast and Volcanoes Nat'l Park (maybe four days)! Puna area is not recommended by most travel writers. Local people there have been known to be unfriendly - don't like a lot of visitors! I don't think it would be what you expect in Hawaii! Wherever you decide upon, I would read some good travel guides on the Big Island before I decided. Good luck!

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 02:48 AM
Susan

Sandy, would like to write to you. How do I get your e-mail address from this site, or can you post it?

Susan.

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 06:20 AM
Sandy

You know, everyone has their
own idea of paradise. Lani might have a point. The Puna district is
full of kamaainas (native Hawaiians). We just thought that added to it's charm.The area is so beautiful I don't blame the locals for wanting to keep it to themselves. We certainly had no problems with anyone and experienced only the Aloha spirit from the people.
I certainly would make a point of seeing
the rest of this beautiful Island also during a two week stay.

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 06:59 AM
Lani

Sandy,

Thank you for your reply to my comment above. I adore Hawaii, in general, and have been several times. We had a bad experience with locals on Maui, in the back lot of a shopping center, once (blocked our car with their truck and made ugly gestures). That's the only lack of aloha I've experienced in the islands - my husband has driven around Puna, no problem. But I've heard it's a different situation if you try to hike and explore there because of some "suspicious" farm areas. Glad to hear that your experience was good - I've also enjoyed talking to and getting to know locals in other areas. I just like people to know exactly what they're getting in an area.

Thanks again.

Lani

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 09:41 AM
Susan R

I also think you should split your trip into staying on both sides of the island. I absolutely loved where we stayed! The Hilton Waikoloa Resort has a lot for everyone! It is the most wonderful resort I've ever seen in my life! It is expensive. Our room overlooked the golf course and you could see Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea from our balcony. We went in late Feb '99 and could see whales all over the place! We tried two of the Hilton restaurants for dinner and they were the best ones that we tried even off of the resort. We tried Roys and CanoeHouse and those were just okay compared to Donatoni's and Kamuela Provision Company. I booked tours but found myself just wanting to stay on the resort most of the time. We stayed 4 nights, but I wish I had stayed longer. This is a place that I'd go to every year of my life and be very happy. If you want more info, please let me know. We took the Blue Hawaii Helicopter tour which was phenomenal! Have a blast!!

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 02:56 PM
Barbara

Susan,
We were on the Big Island last June and stayed at the Waikoloa Hilton, definitely a mega resort with all the amenities, including a spa. We are generally condo people on vacation so this was quite a change. We loved the resort, especially the Dolphin Encounter, and it is a perfect resort for children, with waterslides, boats and trains for general transportation, etc. If you are looking for a quieter vacation, but still upscale, try the Four Seasons. I would not stay at the resort more than a week, 5-6 days is plenty, then move on to another area, the volcano or Hilo area. For the Hilton, be sure to ask for deals. We got a room for $199 and the posted rate was $350. Restaurant tips: We enjoyed the Kamuela Provision Company on site, especially the appetizers. We also loved the 'wraps', ahi or curried chicken for lunch at the poolside cafe. The Aloha Cafe in Kona is great for breakfast (30-45 min drive from the Hilton). They also have wonderful baked goods. I would avoid Edelweiss in Kohala, mediocre and overpriced compared to so many other wonderful choices on the island. We also enjoyed Roy's, especially the fresh fish. Don't miss the

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 03:03 PM
Barbara

Susan,
We were on the Big Island last June and stayed at the Waikoloa Hilton, definitely a mega resort with all the amenities, including a spa. We are generally condo people on vacation so this was quite a change. We loved the resort, especially the Dolphin Encounter, and it is a perfect resort for children, with waterslides, boats and trains for general transportation, etc. If you are looking for a quieter vacation, but still upscale, try the Four Seasons. I would not stay at the resort more than a week, 5-6 days is plenty, then move on to another area, the volcano or Hilo area. For the Hilton, be sure to ask for deals. We got a room for $199 and the posted rate was $350. Restaurant tips: We enjoyed the Kamuela Provision Company on site, especially the appetizers. We also loved the 'wraps', ahi or curried chicken for lunch at the poolside cafe. The Aloha Cafe in Kona is great for breakfast (30-45 min drive from the Hilton). They also have wonderful baked goods. I would avoid Edelweiss in Kohala, mediocre and overpriced compared to so many other wonderful choices on the island. We also enjoyed Roy's, especially the fresh fish. We went to a luau at th King Kamehameha Kona Beach Hotel and were disappointed in it - the entertainment was pretty hokey and the food was nothing special. Don't miss Kahalu'u Beach Park, with its incredible and abundant fish and sea turtles. You don't even have to snorkle out to find them, if you bring food, they will swarm you. It is awesome and the sea turtles are magnificent. Be sure to bring reef shoes. In June we found the Kohala area where we stayed always sunny, but Kona was frequently overcast or even rainy, but still warm. We also enjoyed visiting a coffee farm and buying estate coffee beans.

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 06:15 PM
Susan

Sandy:
Went to the site you mentioned and the web site address appears not to be correct. Can you please check it. Thanks Susan.

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 08:53 PM
Deb

For a true Hawaiian experience, stay clear of the Hilton Waikoloa. It is truly a megaresort and great for kids, but I would definitely opt for a more intimate lodging. I stayed there a couple years back and it was magnificient, but I felt like I was at Disneyland. We prefer the Royal Waikoloan which is like true Hawaii, much more reasonably priced in a great location (Kohala Coast). If budget is no problem, check into the Mauna Lani Bay. Stay a few nights at our favorite Kilauea Lodge (very romantic B & B style "lodge" with a great restaurant on site)in Volcano Village located near to the Hawaii Volcano Nat'l Park. At night, take the chain of craters road to the end to see the lava flow and a million stars in the sky. Fave restaurants: Merriman's in Kamuela, Cafe Pesto (don't let the name fool you, it's Italian w/ a polynesian twist) in Kawaihae harbor and of course, Roy's. In 2 weeks time you can circle the island and take the trip up to Mauna Kea. Be sure to see Waipio Valley and stop at Tex's Drive Inn for the fabulous Malasadas (a local delicacy). Haven't done the helicopter trip, but hear it's pricey.
Aloha!

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 09:07 PM
Deb

It's me again...I second the vote for the Aloha Cafe outside of Kona and also check out Sam Choy's (very popular Hawaii Regional Chef) in the Industrial Park in Kona. If you're there during whale season (I think Dec-March), book a tour (through Royal Waikoloan Hotel) on the Seasmoke catamaran for a fab whale watch excursion. If you want to do a luau, again I highly recommend the Royal Waikoloan which puts a great one on (authentic w/ good eats) at a decent price. Enjoy!

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 09:07 PM
Deb

It's me again...I second the vote for the Aloha Cafe outside of Kona and also check out Sam Choy's (very popular Hawaii Regional Chef) in the Industrial Park in Kona. If you're there during whale season (I think Dec-March), book a tour (through Royal Waikoloan Hotel) on the Seasmoke catamaran for a fab whale watch excursion. If you want to do a luau, again I highly recommend the Royal Waikoloan which puts a great one on (authentic w/ good eats) at a decent price. Enjoy!

Old Sep 28th, 1999, 04:58 AM
Sandy

Sorry, I missed a letter. The address should be www.apoParadise.com
I also found these web sights that tell a bit about the area.

http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/
special/bip.htm
http://nisbet1.securesites.com/
coffeetimes/pahoa.htm
http://www.hawaii-inns.com/bigisle/
puna/
http://gopacific.com/guide/HAWAII/
hilo/hipu.html
http://gohawaii.miningco.com/library/
weekly/blhd032998.htm

Old Sep 28th, 1999, 05:01 AM
Sandy

Also, my (and each posters ) e-mail address appeas at the top of each posting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -