BIG BEND NP TO DALLAS

Search

BIG BEND NP TO DALLAS

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BIG BEND NP TO DALLAS

Doing a road trip round Texas from Nov 12-22nd this year, and our last leg of the trip is to drive from Terlingua, after spending a couple of nights there to Dallas on the 20th, where we have 2 nights left to book before we flight out of DWF on the 22nd.

I have heard that there isnt much worth seeing in Dallas?? (we are not interested in galleries, museums, were actually just planning on going to 6 flags in fort worth as we havent ever been to one before).

So is it using up one of our last 2 nights stopping somewhere between Terlingua and Dallas, or is there not much to see on the drive over, as I know its is about 8hrs long. Or should we just stop in Dallas for the 2 nights? We wanted to get a cowboys stadium tour but there arent any that fit in with the dates, so thought about maybe going to the stockyard rodeo, that's about it.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
(We are 24&25yr old couple, love the outdoors - hence the stop in big bend, and love differnt and unique random attractions, very generic and unhelpful I know ha).
Old Oct 20th, 2015, 09:41 AM

I wouldn't say there "isn't much worth seeing in Dallas", but it does strike me as one the less appealing larger cities to spend time in.

I don't think there's anything between Terlingua and Dallas that would warrant an overnight. There are some things you could stop at that might prolong the trip enough to force you to find somewhere to stop overnight, however. Have you looked at Marfa and Alpine? Fort Davis? Monahans Sandhills State Park? Out of all of those, Fort Davis is the only one that could merit an overnight but only if you're going to McDonald Observatory for a night program. Fort Davis itself is a very sleepy town so don't think you'll find anything interesting at night other than the observatory.
Old Oct 20th, 2015, 11:28 AM

"I have heard that there isnt much worth seeing in Dallas?? (we are not interested in galleries, museums . . . ."

Historical sites surrounding Kennedy assassination?

Pro sports?

What do people do if they don't do culture and history? Not being snarky, but I just don't know.
Old Oct 20th, 2015, 12:14 PM

You will probably be pretty worn out after the long drive (maybe more than eight hours) from Terlingua to Dallas on the 20th. I suggest a Yelp search for a good place for dinner near wherever you are spending the night in the Dallas area, and then doing Six Flags on November 21. Be sure to check the park website for the operating hours that day.
Old Oct 20th, 2015, 12:47 PM

Your last day in BB I would plan to drive late afternoon to the McDonald Observatory and go to a star party. That to me is the coolest thing to see in west Texas. You could see if they have any rooms that night at Balmorhea State Park. In the morning you could swim in the largest spring fed pool in TX before heading out to Dallas. It will take a long time the next day to get to Dallas.
Old Oct 20th, 2015, 01:49 PM

Rather than heading to Dallas from Big Bend, I agree with WhereWeAre that there are plenty of reasons to stay longer in West Texas.

We were there a couple years ago (and are returning next month) and we stayed overnight at the historic Indian Lodge in Davis Mountains State Park. From there, we did a great hike over to Ft. Davis--amazing views and the fort was cool too. (You'll be surprised who narrates the fort's intro film!) We also did a day tour at the McDonald Observatory and returned in the evening for the Star Party. You could also go to Marfa one evening to see the Marfa Lights--that's a unique random attraction!

From Ft. Davis to the Dallas area are a couple of unique places that we missed last time but plan to visit this time--Monahans Sandhills State Park and the Odessa Meteor Crater.
Old Oct 20th, 2015, 02:33 PM

The Meteor Crater was underwhelming at best. The affiliated museum was just OK. It is close to the interstate so at least you won't spend a lot of time getting to it.

Monahans is great. I camped there one night (not recommended if it's windy) and it is even better in the evening or early morning.
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 04:40 AM

. I agree that staying an extra day way out west could make sense because you drove so far to get there. The town of Fort Davis and the McDonald Observatory are both great. It's fun to try to see the Marfa lights, but there's no guarantee on that one. Indian Lodge is super cool if you can get a reservation.

If you want to see the sand hills at Monahans, make it a pit stop on the way home, but not an overnight for sure.
Old Oct 23rd, 2015, 03:33 AM

Arboretum is pretty interesting in Dallas. It is outside. The 12 Days of Christmas would be up and going at that time.
Our Daughter lives in Dallas. I agree there really isn't that much big time touristy stuff to do. It is a very good place to enjoy many many dining options.
Old Oct 27th, 2015, 11:37 AM

The Stockyards Rodeo will not be running in November. The Stockyards area itself is open. It could potentially be very cold … or not … that time of year.

Six Flags is in Arlington, between Dallas and Fort Worth.

It will take you longer than 8 hours to drive from Terlingua to Dallas, and there isn't much between the two, except Monahans, but that's still 8+ hours from Dallas.
Old Oct 27th, 2015, 11:50 AM

Six Flags is in Arlington (right next to Jerry World (cowboys) and Rangers Stadium), but you'll want to double check if they're open, I don't think the park will be open that late in the year- plus- it could be REALLY COLD whipping around on those rides (or it could be 85 and sunny, that's north Texas for ya!)

Stockyards are in FW, and won't be 'open' that time of year, as in you can go in, but nothing will be going on.

I'd recommend the Arboretum in Dallas, I'd also recommend the Book Depository (Kennedy Assassination) but that might fall under 'culture' so maybe not something you're interested in.