BIG BASIN

Old May 1st, 2003, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

BIG BASIN

I am traveling to Napa, Monterey/Carmel, and then San Fran in June. On my way to Monterey from Napa, do you think it is worth it to stop and see Big Basin? Is it really fantastic and a must see?
thanks
Old May 1st, 2003, 09:34 AM

I love Big Basin and would definitely recommend a visit. The redwood forests are really wonderful and there are several short trails that you can hike. Whether or not it is a must see for you, I don't know. If you are the type of person who likes the outdoors and nature then it's worth the drive. If you are the kind of person who thinks if you've seen one tree you've seen them all, then skip it. It really depends on your interests.
Old May 1st, 2003, 09:37 AM

I visited Big Basin in late January several years ago. It is a great place to see giant redwoods. In June you might still get some rhododren in bloom. Nearby would suggest, Point Lobos State Preserve. Just watch the closing time. It is outside Carmel. The Monterey Aquarium is also quite a site especially if you have kids, Cannery Row and all that. Above Santa Cruz would suggest Bean Hollow State Beach, and Ano Nuevro State Park. Good place for elephant seals but not sure about that time of year. Muir Woods just north of San Fran also has great redwoods.
Old May 1st, 2003, 10:05 PM
L

We were traveling from San Mateo to Monterey once, over Hwy 84/35/9 or some combo (please check). It was a fairly warm day of city smells and freeways beforehand. Stopping here was a wonderful refresher. We arrived just in time for a ranger led 30 to 45 min walk thru a flat trail. It was cool, and smelled great.

I would suggest stopping if even for a short while, since it is just a little out of the way.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 11:11 AM

I wouldn't call it a "little out of the way". It's a slow and winding route from highway 17 (main road); probably would add 1.5 hours drive. I like Big Basin (and would recommend the side trip), but I wouldn't necessarily call it fantastic and a must see. Some alternative that aren't buried so far back in the hills would be Henry Cowell park or the Roaring Camp railroad; these don't have quite the size of trees, but are still interesting.