Bidding for budget in NYC possible?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 06:36 AM
monique

Please don't slam me!!

I have been doing a lot of reading here and on biddingfortravel.com and have gotten some excellent advice. Is it possible to find even cheaper options than these 4* that people are getting for under $100 (I am currently not seeing anything like that at biddingfortravel, and hardly any postings in December anyway)? I mean, can I bid $60 for a 1 or 2*? I can't find much info on this because most people aren't willing to rough it. And if I do do this, I am worried I will not get a 'deal' but rather a rack rate. I really want to save the money so I can stay 3 or 4 nights in NYC instead of just 1 or 2.

I understand the budget scene in NYC is scary, but I am used to 1* with shared bath. I am traveling with my husband and he refuses to stay in hostels anymore (although I could talk him into it if we had a private room).

The real problem is that I desperately want to stay in Midtown. I have found some good deals on orbitz.com for rooms with private bath, but they are usually in Uptown or Harlem (husband can be an 'ugly American' sometimes and would kill me if I booked a room in Harlem).

Anyone out there have success with getting bare-bones accomodation through bidding or internet offers?

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 07:02 AM
xxx

December is the busiest time of the year in New York City. I would be hesitant about staying in a 1 Star hotel. I think you would be better off paying $100 for a 4 than $60 for a 1. Also remember NYC can be very expensive so whatever your spending budget is, at least raise it by half.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 07:13 AM
Me

I wouldn't do a 1* in NYC, i think even a 2* is risky. How about a 3* in the $80 range. There also are 3 midtown locations (East, West and South) so you can change your bid by adding an area. Start with your 1 area, and add another to change a price or star info. Any of the midtown locations are good. The easrlier part of December shouldn't be a problem, but once you approach Christmas Week it could be tough.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 07:59 AM
monique

Thanks for your suggestions. Do you think it's possible to get a 3* for $80??

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 08:11 AM
m

I noticed that there is a 2.5* courtyard Marriot which is a decent hotel. You may be able to get that for around $80.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 04:46 AM
monique

Would staying in a residential neighborhood (like Greenwich, Chelsea, etc) be a little cheaper? I've been reading about them, and we might actually prefer staying here, since it is sort of in the middle of everything. Plus we will probably eat at cheap ethnic restaurants rather than chic midtown places. Any suggestions?

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 05:32 AM
Sarah

I don't have too much more helpful info, but I do want to let you know that I successfully bid last year, mid-December, for 3 stars and got the Hilton NY and Towers for around $90 ....so it is possible

I hate to say it, but it's almost worth it to register at biddingfortravel.com and post your requirements, etc for the moderator to give advice. She's a tough cookie, so be sure to follow the "how to" section about requesting info...she can be kind of short with people, but she's awfully good at what she does!

good luck...

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 07:48 AM
me

Staying in chelsea or greenwich village would be fine. In fact, I think better than midtown. The village would be better than chelsea, more walkable to many iteresting neighborhoods. Both have a huge variety of restaurants and interesting stores and shops. Both also convenient to various subway lines. Don't know about good deals on hotels though. I've read good things about the Larchmont, but it's shared baths (great location). The Washington Square hotel is also a great location. There is a new Howard Johnson's somewhere on the lower east side. I believe they have good rates. You may want to check it out.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 07:54 AM
john

Hotwire offers a 2 star for 212$, Priceline would not take 300$ for a 4 star or 200$ for a 3star for the first week of dec. Point is the city is booking up solid this year.....

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 07:57 AM
Donna

Try the Days Inn (check your dates at their website) on 8th Avenue or the Travel Inn on 42nd Street.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 09:13 AM
monique

I am thinking about the Larchmont. It looks fine for our purposes. I can't really find any other budget places in the Village. Maybe the Chelsea Lodge or another place in that area.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 09:25 AM
me

You'll love the neighborhood near the Larchmont (I live a few blocks away). It's on a very nice, quiet, residential street near lots. It seems like a very pleasant hotel, last halloween, my son & his friends, trick-or-treated there and the staff was very friendly. The lobby had a European feel to it. I think they also include continental breakfast which is a nice convenience.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 04:01 AM
monique

Is it possible to bid on priceline for Greenwich Village area?

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 08:07 AM
m

Greenwich Village is NOT covered by any priceline choice of location

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Holly

I live in New York. Hotel prices are high no matter where you stay in the city. The city has cleaned up a lot in the last 10 years. IT is safe in most areas (excluding harlem, etc)
Greenwich village is what we call the West Village it runs from Houston street to 14th street on the west side. I don't know of any hotels around there. Also Chelsea runs from 14-24th street on west side. Chelsea and the west village are expensive area to eat in. Although, you can find better deals in Chelsea. The only area that is seedy at night is around Penn station which is about 28th street-42nd street on the west side.
The YMCA has rooms, but I believe they are 75$ a night for 2 people. The upper east and upper west sides are nice and close to Central Park which is Beautiful.. Mid-town can tend to be expensive. Also, I would stay off hotels that are on 10th and 11th avenues.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 09:02 AM
monique

I have been looking at biddingfrotravel.com and I found these hotels as possibilities:

Midtown South
2.5 Star
Roger Williams Hotel
Hotel 41 at Times Square
Ramada Plaza - The New Yorker (my brother recently stayed here and loved it)

They all look super nice to a super budget traveller like me! But with my luck I would end up not getting any of these.

I have never used priceline before, so I'm a little nervous about it. Would I bid for 2* in MTS? Is it ridiculous to start at a low bid like $60? If people are getting 4* for $100, it seems to me that a 2* should be significantly cheaper.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 10:01 AM
DoNot

Do not bid for a 2* in Midtown South. You may end up with the Hotel Pennsylvania. Bid Midtown East or West. That area has the highest concentration of hotels.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 02:34 AM
monique

I thought Pennsylvania was a 1*? Thanks!!