Reload this Page >

BI for a day...How much can we do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Rachel

We would like to take a day trip to the BI for the day and visit VNP, the black sand beach and the olivine beach. How far apart are they all? We plan on staying until about 8pm at night? Will we able to view the volcano at night then, or isn't it dark yet?
Also, what else is a MUST-DO for the day on the BI? Any recommendations would be helpful.

Thank you!

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Qwerty

AB, CD Goldfish? L, MNO Goldfish!
OSAR!

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 11:03 AM
hmmmm

BI= BIG ISLaND
VNP= VOLCANOE NATIONAL PARK ????
DO I WIN???

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Lenore

We are planning to do a similar trip to BI from Oahu. The latest flight I could find leaves Hilo at 8:03pm. Figuring you need to get to the airport about an hour before the flight leaves, plus add time for dropping off the rental car, I don't think we'll be able to see the night lava flow....darn! We want to explore the waterfalls in Akaka Falls State Park as well as the VNP. I hope there will be enough time.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Marty

I went Bi for a day back in the 70's, during the free love era. It didn't take. Althought it was kind of exciting...

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 01:30 PM
ttt

ttt

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 03:45 PM
mary

Assuming that you are flying into Hilo you could spend the day up at VNP, drop down to the black sand beach and add a trip to "millionaire's pond" (a naturally heated pool on the coast near the black sand beach.) You could alternatively do VNP and the Akaka Falls area north of Hilo. You will not be able to view lava at night or fit in the long drive and hike to the Olivine beach. The Big Island is BIG!