Search

Better watch out, you better not cry!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2008, 11:17 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Better watch out, you better not cry!

Be careful parking anywhere at all in Chicago or Cook County proper. If you are coming for Christmas shopping, sports or whatever.

Mayor Daley has given everyone with a uniform of any kind a "tickets" book and they plan on making a good portion of the insolvency a "turn around" by issuing tickets or citations.

Everyone is going to write tickets, garbage men, plumbers, all the library, academic parking service, hospital/medical parking service people- nearly everyone who works for any portion of streets and sans. etc. And I'm sure they'll get a bonus for their book being filled-even if that translates into not getting "bumped" from their job or some other wonderful adaption of the patronage system.

I'm not being frivolous or sarcastic either- and it isn't just parking violations that can be cited. I bet they can get seat-belt, j-walking etc.- and hand them to you. Don't forget that smoking is forbidden in most areas as well.

Many city job positions, even drivers, have to take 3 days off without pay as well to make paychecks not bounce in the coming months.

Be careful- and don't drive into the city's downtown or lakefront areas if you can do otherwise.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 11:41 AM

Should I hope for something like this in San Francisco, at least at the bus stops which some drivers see as parking area?
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 12:19 PM

So Mayor Daley really wants people to internet shop this Christmas, just as retailers are preparing for a near-catastrophe.

I would think he would want to do all he can to lure in the few people that will actually be paying for hotel rooms in Chicago, restaurants, and buying stuff in stores.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 12:54 PM
JJ5
Original Poster

No, in fact quite the opposite. He is devising every way under creation to separate the tourist from his dollar. The highest sales tax and luxury excise on hotels and oh so much more is going to get even higher. 17% on short term (hotels/motels) lodging now and rising. Parking went up again too.

Big ticket items like furniture, cars and somesuch are being killed in Cook County. And surprise, surprise, the revenue has decreased because overall sales has decreased.

You should see how happy the Indiana people are. And also those savvy retailers and shops that are just the other side of the street on Will/Cook Rd where Will County begins- two new restaurants, and a cigar bar and all kinds of retail shops on booze, cigarettes and jewelry. Also the gas stations go down 20 to 30 cents in price there.
They are smiling.

Of all the back-biting schemes that have been contrived- this one is going to blacklash big time. Just like trying to wreck Grant Park so that another money grabber tourist kids' museum could go UNDERGROUND and also against all of the founders like Wards etc.wishes. Those who donated the land for perpetuity must be turning in their graves.

And btw, swalter- if you are out there and reading. They are initiating Lou Malnati's "outside" of the downtown area and the announcement ta-duh- the other location will be at 171st and Lagrange Rd in Tinley PK. I know it's your favorite and it will be down the block from you in 2009.
Start dieting. LOL!

Watch out, and I'm not kidding. I can hear the bulldozers coming already.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 02:29 PM

JJ5
Is it true that you can't use a cell phone while driving in Chicago, unless it's hands-free? A friend who moved out of the city was telling me that. That gives the people in "uniforms" another reason to write a citation, if you get caught.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 02:55 PM

Put me in the group (however small) that would love to see a total ban on cell phone use while driving (unless perhaps the hands-free ones). It's become a game with me. See someone driving like an idiot -- crossing over their lane lines, slowing down and then speeding up, whatever -- invariably, pass them and you'll see them on a cell phone.

But meanwhile, I'm a little confused by the tone of some of these posts. Are some suggesting that since the economy is "bad", they should allow people to throw safe driving out the window and break any driving and parking laws? Sorry, I don't get why enforcing standard driving rules is an attempt to destroy shopping? Are most shoppers insensitive to proper driving?
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 02:59 PM

Are most shoppers insensitive to proper driving?

Depends on whether you're a driver or a pedestrian
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 07:02 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

If it is like I hear it is going to be, this is going to be widespread and stricter than normal, which is almost as bad as Singapore, as it is. Not just driving violations either, but every type of parking, smoking, walking, seat belt, carseat etc. violation as well.

And yes this is very unfriendly for an environment that is super, super busy- may be packed- may have one way or very conflicting signage (this is endemic in many areas of downtown, especially areas that are under any construction- sidewalk or street cleaning or otherwise near loading zones or near any school, hospital or any of the public parking entities in other parts of the city with time limits too as well)if there are 1-2 inches of snow possible or visible anywhere. I know someone that ended up with a tow and $150 plus the storage on that one and it had just begun to flurry with no ground "stickage".

Towing scams are also endemic near night watering holes- and your car may be held hostage for big, big bucks. And often are right now. This just happened to a friend at Lalo's in Berwyn- in an approved lot next door to Lalo's lot that was AOk until last month.

Street cleaning signs may be posted on every other street light pole- and you might not see one or a low red curb or faded paint- and the meters must be feed plus, because I'm talking about literally 1000's of people extra are going to be out there writing tickets.

Ironic as hell. With the highest sales taxes and other taxes added in the country, why the heck would you ever do this?? Mind-boggling.

You can see the buyer's money pouring out of the city right now like crazy. Three different towns with considerable "downtowns" on my way to work on the border of Will are booming like I've never seen.
People sure are not as dumb as some others think they are.

For shopping, absolutely, and I've done it already with something I saw at the Art Institute Store- buying online is much better $$.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 07:40 AM

JJ5, there is something very faulty with your reasoning in my opinion. You seem to be suggesting that since there could be snow or ice and visability could be reduced and all the other problems involved with weather and additional traffic, that the safety rules (jaywalking, not wearing seat belts, talking on cells, etc.) should be relaxed. In my book, those are the times when those rules should be enforced the most. Isn't it obvious that driving is already more hazardous in such conditions? Why on earth would you suggest that when traffic becomes more hazardous, then they shouldn't be so strict with safety rules?

And I love the idea that if they tow cars away from no parking zones (like at bars or clubs) that is considered a "towing scam". You sound like someone who got a legitimate ticket and is very bitter about it.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 07:59 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

NeoPatrick, you don't have an iota of sense or of knowledge to the issue you are arguing about this time.

I have never gotten a ticket downtown. Believe me, this is real. And scams are real. Towing, and much else. They are indited for it all the time, and then re-set themselves within a month or two under another name. And they pay of for "leads" too. It could just be that a car is on the street at all after 2pm. Do you also consider that "dangerous".

And you would be the first person in line complaining if it was you that it happened to. People cross in masses downtown, and do you want to be the one that gets a ticket for being outside of the line. LOL!

Believe me, it is- the way they have it set up- nearly impossible to follow all the myriad of laws (there are 1000's literally) that they could cite you for- not the way downtown "works".

You better watch out, NeoPatrick, because you may eat faux gras. The law is not totally reversed yet there either. LOL!

Where do you think everybody can park? Undergrounds are filled and people may have to go 8 or 9 blocks to refeed a meter 1/2 way through a shopping or event day. Do you think that is dangerous behavior being supported too?

We have murderers, pick-pockets, assaulters galore- we had three assaults at bus stops in the last 2 days. The cops and all else of authority should not be focused on writing tickets during any crowd events or holiday shopping time periods of congestion. Absolutely they have far, far more important work to do. Just directing traffic around stopped vehicles or anything of construction or accident is a far more purposeful use of their time.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 08:15 AM

JJ5- how will they enforce a jaywalking ticket on a tourist, I wonder? If you don't have a driver's license on you, how can they track you down?
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 08:39 AM

JJ5, apparently you didn't read my post. I clearly said you SOUND like someone who is bitter about getting a ticket. I certainly wouldn't presume to know if you have or not.

And you totally ignore the specifics I mentioned about SAFETY rules of driving needing to be more enforced rather than less enforced when driving conditions are worsened. But then you knew that didn't you, since you switched talking from the "safety" type violations to just parking?

Yes, I once had my car towed away from a lot that many people would call a scam. I parked it there despite the tow away signs figuring I could get away with it, but I didn't. It said it would be towed. I'd be an idiot to call such towing away a scam. If you park in a lot or a space that is not marked and THEN it gets towed away -- maybe that could be called a scam. But parking in an illegal spot and getting towed away is NOT a "scam", just because people didn't read the signs or figured they should be allowed to park there despite the postings.

But you make a lot of sense, since there are murders and rapes, they should let people drive any way they want. To hell with all traffic rules. Worry about the big stuff. Yes. Great point.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 10:23 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

And you miss the point of the reply, its core, completely.

This is NOT the hell with the safety stuff. It's going to be micromanaged for maximum incoming revenue. This isn't about "safety" not even in its literal sense- in practice.

For instance, I've seen 4 block back ups and people driving on sidewalks to get around these bureaucratic "plans" exactly like this- checking seat belts and causing the safety issues to begin with.

Chicago is hurting big time for money. Illinois is really bankrupt and has been through its last 2 budget cycles. There is going to be another transit crisis and the UNSAFE accidents that have occurred, HAVE occurred through old equipment but first most because of driver/operator error. Two few people working all kinds of shifts.
And they are cutting /laying off again. And many in Chicago that are city workers of all types are going to get another 3 day unpaid holiday, as well.

This is not a SAFETY plan but a plan to raise revenue.

They can decide, for instance, to make one side of the street unparkable- and within hours of deciding so- whoooop- the cars are all gone. It's done here, NeoPatrick. And not infrequently.

So I'm just warning the unwary, that pick pockets come in all forms. Some of them have badges and uniforms of all kinds- and straw boss "authority" without any training to do this work either.

Another wonderful idea from the very people who have limo drivers and use their airplanes to commute to Springfield (WHAT, live in a small town, just because I'm the Gov.!)- to get to their jobs or events.

I know 3 different people who are hiring lawyers to retailiate from the recent $300 plus "speed" traps- that have been set up during this last summer's various construction route "funnels". This way they could get as many as 3 drivers in a group. Took their license for court-no bail bond's card were "good" and then when they wanted to state their cases- they were told that it was contempt- and to just ask put the price of that "ticket" from $300 to $400. At the main "court" location to get your license back they had the "court" set up with literal cordonned with ropes "lines" that forced people through their "ticket" (this was held within a rental unit that used to be a Fried Chicken outlet- still had the signs up- not even a proper Federal, Local or Gov./Police or Court Office).

To me, and some other people who have experienced this and who can NOT afford lawyers, and are still trying to recoup- if only for someone else's benefit- these are not legal courts- and the methods just aren't kosher. You can't even declare not-guilty.

But you will continue to make this a "safety" issue and work the bone of that argument like a dog- regardless of what I am warning those people of who come here with cars.

This is for them- please, be very careful- because it really is NOT fun.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 10:30 AM

Rant away. You're not the only one against law and order, rules, enforcing traffic laws, and "big brother" ruining our lives. Fine.

Hey, I even love Singapore with all its rules and enforcements. I think it makes it a better place. You obviously don't. Different strokes for different folks!
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 10:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
People are paying lawyers $250-$500 an hour to fight a $300 ticket? Must have more money than sense.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 01:31 PM
JJ5
Original Poster

No, they have anger. Class actions suits are pending in the bigger picture.

One can not afford it and looks only to keep it from happening to others. He's 62 and sick, and figures what the hell- it would be a good deed.

NeoPatrick, rant? You argue just for the sake of arguing. People let it drop all the time. I'm not going to this time, because you are wrong.

Safety is not the end, the end is money.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 02:58 PM

I am wrong? No. I have an opinion that laws should be enforced, and people who complain about the enforcement of laws are "ranting". You have a different opinion. There is no right or wrong. We have differing opinions. That's all. Get over yourself. You are the only one insisting that there is a right and wrong here. And that anyone who doesn't agree with you is WRONG. Sorry, it doesn't work that way. I'm just giving an opinion.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 03:00 PM

I am wrong? No. I have an opinion that laws should be enforced, and people who complain about the enforcement of laws are "ranting". You have a different opinion. There is no right or wrong. We have differing opinions. That's all. Get over yourself. You are the only one insisting that there is a right and wrong here. And that anyone who doesn't agree with you is WRONG. Sorry, it doesn't work that way. I'm just giving an opinion.

Just like you think Singapore is awful because of their law enforcement. I think it's wonderful. That doesn't mean you are right and I am wrong. Nor does it mean that I am right and you are wrong. We just have different opinions. Get it yet?
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 05:56 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

Of course, NeoPatrick- you are never wrong- and always get the last word. Twice even.

Last night I asked the man who is part of an action in these "gleamings" of hordes of people or drivers caught in "nets" for ticketing and put through a factory of process (like meat exactly) to paying and being told to "shut up" or else- despite any circumstance or witness or whatever to their not committing the ticketed offense. And he said that so many Electromotive (GM) employees got this on expressway traps to work on night shifts etc.- that they actually have "free" (Union Members have free attorney rights-hours etc. no matter how you put it- by their Union contracts- even to divorce/child custody, house mortgage closings etc.)

And so- he and some others have GM lawyers working on this. Another individual has his own. But it will not be all that costly- and they have gotten the "system" to stop- which was their main concern- to begin with.

This isn't about anybody's safety- this is about money. Who gets it when they need it and who gets to spend when they get.

The last I heard- there was a rumor or two about this being a "free" country that didn't micro-manage law to the detail. Singapore minimizes prison stays for spitting.

With the kind of crime that is observable in Cook County. (3 or 4 more kid under 17 killings again this month). And with the kind of gang crime that makes life unliveable for entire huge proportions (40% or more)of the citizens of the city. They are literally hostage within their homes at night in vast areas- the "safety" issues of downtown micromanagement or tourist areas of reaping money from trusting visitors- is absolutely undefendable. And that is my opinion, and one which would be easily shared by 1000's and 1000's of people who have been pick-pocketed in these last 2 years.
And I won't say legally either, because if a salt truck worker has a "ticket" book???

Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 08:01 AM

"Of course, NeoPatrick- you are never wrong- and always get the last word. Twice even."

HUH? Did you actually read my last post? JJ5, it's odd that you insist I'm trying to be "right" when I have clearly said I'm not. I have tried to explain that I have a different opinion than you do, that's all and that I am no more right than you. But YOU are the one who wants to insist that someone must be right and someone must be wrong, and that apparently NO ONE has the right to offer an opinion other than yours on this matter. In other words it is clear in reading all your posts here that you are saying "I am right, and anyone who has a differing opinion is WRONG". Clear as day. Do you even know what an "opinion" is -- it has no right or wrong?

You also say that I want to have the last word, then YOU add a last word. Don't you understand that it takes TWO people to try to have the last word -- and you are one of them in this case. Why is MY explaining myself "insisting on getting in the last word", but your explaining yourself, merely "explaining yourself." What's the difference between the two and how does someone get in the last word "twice even"? That doesn't even make sense.

I have no resentment towards you, obviously you do towards me, since you insist on attacking me for having an opinion on the subject, and then attack me again when I merely try to point out I have a differing opinion on the whole matter. I have NOT attacked you for having one, I merely expressed that mine is different.

OK, now attack away. I'm sure it will make you feel better to once again insist that no other opinions of the matter are allowed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -