Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best Western Bay View or Mission Inn in Carmel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24th, 2003, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems that I can get such great rates on these hotels that its hard to pass up (<$80). I haven't seen negative feedback on either--is one better than the other? Location or general hotel quality?
I think we've decided to stay in Carmel 2 nights and down in Big Sur at the Deetjen's for 2 nights if its available. Any other ideas?
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 01:03 PM

Marci,
The Bay View Inn is just a couple of blocks from Carmel's main street, Ocean Avenue, so its location is good to explore the village on foot (the best way). It's right next door to Bruno's Market, where I shopped when I lived there (delicious deli sandwiches!). I've not been in the inn, so I really can't say how nice it is, but from the outside it looks like many Carmel motelish places built in the 50's or 60's, but well-kept up. The website pics of the king room with fireplace and view balcony on the upper floors looks nice, but I'm pretty sure you won't get that room for $80?

I'd pass on the Mission Inn, right off of busy Highway 1 near the mouth of Carmel Valley. It's not in the village, and I've read some negative comments on tripadvisor about it. You can do lots better. In the off-season, mid-week, you should be able to get good deals. The Pine Inn and La Playa are two historic, beautiful old-Carmel hotels. They'll be more $$, but worth it imo.

Re: Deetjen's, the rooms are very rustic. The doors lock only from the inside--when you leave the room, anyone could enter, so they tell you to take your valuables with you or lock them in the trunk.

Two of their rooms, Stokes and Far Away are insulated, my first choice for winter, but they are very popular and may already be booked on week-ends. Non-insulated rooms, at least get one with a fireplace (New Rooms is a good one) or wood-burning stove. I'd book asap, if you plan to stay there. Restaurant is open for breakfast & dinner, but reservations are essential, as its tiny and fills up with guests fast. If it's raining hard in the area, I'd think twice about taking the long winding drive down there.

The current Bon Apetit magazine (Jan. '04) has an article featuring 4 Great week-end getaways, and Carmel is one of them. You might be interested in reading that. One of the restaurants they mention in Bouchee, supposed to be quite good. Check out Casanova, Grasing's, Kurt's Chop House on others you'll find on recent threads here.
It may be a little cold and rainy(or not), and you'll have Carmel to yourselves and that will be wonderful! Have a great trip--let us know how it went.
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 01:28 PM

I agree with Winerycat on the Bay View Inn. We were just in Carmel a few weeks ago and it was beautiful. I would also add the California Market or the Pacific's Edge to your restaurant list. And I know Winerycat would agree that Robert Kincaid's White House in Pacific Grove is very nice!!

I would also recommend Cielo's in the Big Sur area for a meal. It is located at the Ventana Inn and Spa. Have a great trip! We peeked in Bouchee in Carmel and spoke briefly with a waiter. My husband says this will be our next place to try in the area. ***kim***
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

I just wanted to say thanks for your thoughtful responses. I'm sorry for the slow response, but I often get over anxious when I don't get replies right away. I'm not always in front of a computer--so I'm geared towards instant gratification But after a week of company I'm checking back in!

winerycat-I saw that you responded to my other thread as well. Thanks! I had posted that one first, then found this "deal" and thought I'd ask about it as well.

At this point we're booked at the Best Western Bay View for the entire time. Parts of Dejeet's sound like fun, but the non locking rooms creeps me out. I think I just couldn't be comfortable with that. Thanks for the info...it helped me not make a mistake.
Also, I did look up the bon appetit article--thanks for mentioning it.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 08:52 AM

Hi Marci,
I'm so glad to hear back from you. I did want to make sure you got that info re: Deetjen's and the unlocked door policy. It's an issue with me, too. That's why I tell people that Deetjen's lodging is not for everyone, but their restaurant is fab! In my "youth" it didn't bother me at all, but now it does, plus I really like the creature comforts of Ventana Inn. Also, I think Deetjen's lodging is best enjoyed in warm weather--fall is perfect, not so much in the winter cold--and no rain to contend with on the drive down. Having said all that, Deetjen's is a Big Sur landmark inn and it is a very special place. You might want to visit it, it's just south of Nepenthe.

I hope the Bay View Inn meets your expectations--the standard rooms and breakfast room looked nice & clean on the website, but as I said, I haven't been inside. Rooms are expensive in Carmel and $80 is the lowest I have ever seen, so please let us know how it was--others here could benefit from your experience. Have a wonderful time!
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 06:10 AM

Marci, Just wanted to add a few thoughts re: your trip to the Monterey Peninsula. You said you'd narrowed the choices down to Carmel and I agree that would be nice. The village of Carmel is full of quaint, yet sophisticated European charm. Who wouldn't love it???

As I mentioned, the Bay View will probably be OK, but may be a little generic. If you're thinking of upgrading, I'd definately try to get in on the 2 for 1 deal with The Cobblestone Inn that we mentioned to you earlier. Four sisters inns are amoungst the most charming and well-run places to stay, especially at that price. www.foursistersinns.com

Cobblestone Inn's in the heart of Carmel-- you enter through a cobblestone (what else?) courtyard--it's very charming, English-style.

They probably have a nice breakfast there, but if you want more: Sunday brunch in the Forge in the Forest for their garden patio, and their copper-walled saloon, both great places to dine and both with fireplaces. Also great for lunch and dinner.

Katy's Place on Mission. They're famous for their Benedicts--too big to finish, but it tastes so good at least trying to.

Also, the Patisserie Boisserie, on Mission off Ocean Avenue, across the street from Bouchee restaurant is a charming French bakery and cafe with wonderful pastries, coffee and a very nice little tearoom atmosphere with fireplace, where you can have good and reasonably priced small entrees, soups and salads. All three of these places are within walking distance from either the Bay View Inn or Cobblestone Inn. Whatever you choose, hope your stay is great!