Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best way to sell broadway theater tickets?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be visiting NYC in early August. I bought 5 tickets for Hairspray and now my husband and sons have decided they'd rather see Chicago so we need to sell 3 tickets. What is the best way to do this? A friend told me to sell them on Ebay - have never used it before though. Thought I could use the concierge in the hotel as a go-between once we get there. The seats are in the front upper mezzanine -right side but closest to inner aisle. Thanks!
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 01:20 PM

I'd try ebay first...but make sure you sell them for full price. I say that because since the show is selling out, you could probably sell them very easily in front of the theater for full price when you get to NY!
You'll actually make less on ebay, since you'll pay them a commission, but the good thing is that you won't have to waste your time in NY during your stay.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 01:21 PM

I would call the concierge at the hotel where you are staying and let him know what you have available. I bet he could dump them in a minute.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 07:29 AM

I think www.ebay is your best bet...but, I'd try to talk your husband and son out of changing their mind first. IMO, Hairspray is much better than the Broadway production of Chicago.

With Hairspray selling out each night you should get AT LEAST what you paid for your tickets (including fees)on ebay.com
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 07:55 AM

The DVD/VHS of the movie "Chicago" is coming out in August. (Haven't you already seen the movie?) Don't see the show, buy the home version. GO SEE 'HAIRSPRAY'

Your husband and your sons need to have their heads examined. Stupid, stupid, stupid decision to see the show 'Chicago' with the 20th cast. 'Hairspray' still has the original cast...

Go, go, go, go, go ! ! ! ! NO DOUBT ABOUT IT ! ! !
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 10:32 AM

I think you can take them to the box office and sell them back for the full price. You'll only be out any ticketmaster fees and won't have the hassle of Ebay. Especially for a sold out show, they'll be happy to take them and will promptly re-sell them.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

We've all seen the movie Chicago and loved it. I think my husband doesn't know enough about Hairspray to want to go. We saw the John Waters' movie years ago - he's just having a difficult time envisioning it. So plans to sell are on hold for now. By the way, will Harvey Fierstein still be in the role by August 8? There's going to be several cast changes in July but haven't heard he'll be leaving.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 12:54 PM

I'll disagree with some previous posters. As far as the movie vs. the live show, both are outstanding. Because you've seen one doesn't mean you should avoid the other. Each is outstanding in its own way!
Both Chicago and Hairspray are worth seeing! Your husband and sons are truly in a win/win situation!
Also, don't follow lisettemac's advice. Theater box offices do not take tickets, even for sold-out shows!
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 12:55 PM

PS: No word yet on when Harvey Fierstein will be leaving the show.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 04:12 PM

Tell your DH and sons tough crap and go with your original plans.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 04:26 PM
GoTravel

I've seen both Chicago and Hairspray on Broadway (saw Chicago with the original cast) and I have seen the movie Chicago. The movie was much better than the play and Hairspray was much better than Chicago. I think they will be sorry if they do not stick with Hairspray.

Old Jun 21st, 2003, 05:46 PM

The box office will try to sell your tickets for you and there are always people waiting for cancellations so it won't be a problem. However, I think you are making a mistake. I saw Chicago a few years ago and then again recently and the production is looking a little tired. It is still entertaining, but not as good as it once was. I saw Hairspray recently and thought it was great.

If you have time, you could see both shows. Chicago is available for half price daily at TKTS. There are also twofers available for Chicago at all of the tourist offices.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 07:20 PM
Dan

another vote for ebay!! I've sold several tix when I couldn't go to NYC as scheduled and always made a little extra.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 07:21 PM

I read somewhere around Tony time that Harvey Fierstein may stay around for a while. My father is 61 years old and absolutely loved Hairspray. Who hasn't? I'd be shocked if someone didn't think it was fabulous, b/c it is! One of the most fun nights I"ve had in a long time. Truly enjoyed seeing the cast perform again on the Tonys. Go see the movie Chicago, the stage show isn't anything to write home about. How often do you get the see the original cast of a show that just won a gazillion Tonys?? I know it's just my opinion but show your husband and sons the other postings on this board about the show and hopefully they will change their minds. Good luck and enjoy.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 07:43 PM

DEFINITELY GO SEE HAIRSPRAY!!!
It won the Major Tony's this year and you have decent seats....

Do NOT sell the Hairspray tkts!!
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 09:40 PM

I must agree with the majority...Hairspray is far superior to Chicago. Chicago was enjoyable but nothing special. (the movie was much better than the play in my opinion). On the otherhand, Hairspray is OUTSTANDING. I would continue working on your husband and sons to change their mind. I suspect that they're worried that Hairspray might be too "campy" for them. It is NOT and equally enjoyed by both men and women.

If you are unsuccessful in changing their mind, then sell your tickets on ebay.com Who ever posted that selling tickets on ebay.com is a hassel is mistaken. I've bought and sold tickets on ebay before very easily. Good seats for Hairspray should sell for not a penny less than what your TOTAL cost was, not just the face value. Your only small drawback might be that you have 3 tickets to sell (most would be interested in either 2 or 4). Again,only if absolutely necessary, sell your tickets on ebay. Like Howard said, I've never heard of the theater buying tickets back so don't even consider this as an option.

You didn't mention how your husband chose Chicago as an alternative...interesting, considering there are outstanding plays such as Gypsy to chose from if tickets can still be obtained. Anyway, if possible the whole family should attend Hairspray and then you will not have any problems with un-needed tickets.
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Visited NYC last summer and saw Mamma Mia (great!), Oklahoma (dated) and Aida (good). Daughter went by herself to see Chicago while we saw a Yankee game and she loved it. After seeing the movie (which was great), decided to see Chicago at some point during this year's trip mostly because we wanted to see the dance numbers without all the editing from the movie. After seeing the Tony's though, I'm intrigued with Movin Out - if it's dancing we want to see, that seems to be the best choice.

My husband was going to use the money from Hairspray tickets to see Chicago and then another play later. I do think he was afraid Hairspray would be too campy but after reading all the rave reviews in this forum, he'll probably stick with my original plan. We're going to try to pick up half price tickets once we get there for a few other plays. Any likelihood the following will be available early August? Gypsy, Movin Out, La Boheme or Chicago?
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 10:39 AM

I believe that La Boheme is closing June 29th.
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 10:45 AM

Good choice Nnancy. Stick to your original plans to all see HAIRSPRAY....if time allows and you want to see another play, besides GYPSY, another high recommendation is NINE (great dancing and special effects). It is exceptional as well. Can't comment on Movin'Out.

Can't comment on the 1/2 ticket availability. I normally prefer to have tickets in hand when arriving in NYC so when I need short notice tickets, I usually go straight to ebay.com. I believe the website playbill.com will show you which tickets were available the previous week for 1/2 price. Others can offer you advice there.
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 11:39 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
You can buy tickets before arriving in New York for half price or substantial discounts at Playbill.com (you have to sign up but there is no charge) and hitshowclub.com. I am pretty sure Chicago is available this way, and you wouldn't have to wait on line at the TKTS booth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -