Reload this Page >

Best Way To See Monuments @ Nite

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 1999, 03:47 PM
Greg

Based on other posts we will visit the monuments/memorials at night. What is the best way to do this? Can you get to all of them by Metro? Is it safe with wife, 13 &9 yr olds? Or is tour or trollery or some other means best? Thanks for the info.

Old Jun 20th, 1999, 05:36 PM
sgorces

I assume you mean in D.C.? The best way to see the monuments in D.C. is by using the bus service that tours them all. You can jump on the bus at any of the monuments and buy a ticket on board. you can then jump on/off all you want. It's the way to go. Metro is for the most part useless for touring the monuments. Many of the monuments are terrific at night, but I wouldn't limit yourself. for example, you should see Arlington Cemetary during the day. The bus goes there too.

Old Jun 27th, 1999, 08:08 PM
KHansen

We just got back and took a GrayLine tour at night of the monuments. It was fine, they didn't give you alot of time at each monument. But it was alot of fun to see them that time of day. It is NOT the way to see the VIETNAM or KOREAN monuments though. They are both very dark and in the dark you can't see them.

Thomas Jefferson is the most awesome and Lincoln Memorial is great too!! But do go see the others in the daylight.

Old Jun 27th, 1999, 08:38 PM
wendy

You can walk to each monument/memorial. Start at the Washington Monument, walk to Jefferson, then you can walk to Roosevelt, from there you'll hit Korea, Lincon, and Vietnam. Give yourself two hours, and plan to be at Vietnam at dusk. They are close enough together that it doesn't really merit a bus tour (as long as you're wearing comfortable shoes!)

Old Jun 28th, 1999, 04:24 AM
ilisa

I agree that walking to the monuments is the best way to see them. Don't waste your money on a bus. You will get so much more out of your trip to DC if you walk. I've done the monuments at night many times and have never had a problem with safety. I disagree with those who say you shouldn't see Vietnam at night. I find it to be very emotional and powerful at dusk, as Wendy suggested. The FDR memorial is also wonderful to see towards the end of the day, with the sun setting and the Washington Monument reflecting on the Tidal Basin. Very beautiful. Another breathtaking sight in the evening and one that truly epitomizes DC is the Capitol from Pennsylvania Avenue.

Old Jun 28th, 1999, 09:02 AM
beck

IF you dont have a large supply of $$$ for the trip, you dont have to take a bus at all. Everything in DC is close to one another. You can walk to the Monument, and Capital Building...you can also walk to the Jefferson and Lincoln memorials - but it'll be a kinda far walk. HOwever, there's lots of wonderful scenery on the way. Have fun

Old Jun 28th, 1999, 09:02 AM
beck

IF you dont have a large supply of $$$ for the trip, you dont have to take a bus at all. Everything in DC is close to one another. You can walk to the Monument, and Capital Building...you can also walk to the Jefferson and Lincoln memorials - but it'll be a kinda far walk. HOwever, there's lots of wonderful scenery on the way. Have fun