Best vacation for children

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be taking our nieces on a week-long trip next summer. Their ages will be 10 and 13. Both are over achievers in school. They, my wife and I are in above average physical health, so a physically active vacation is attractive though not necessary.

Understanding all of that, what would be your recommendation about the best place to take them in the U. S. Please exclude the Washington, DC area, Disneyland and Disney World.

Thank you!
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 07:34 PM

Camping on or a cottage vacation near a body of water. Hiking. Fishing. Boating. Playing board games. Spending time together.

If too tame, then a driving vacation through the SW including the Grand Canyon and perhaps tagging on the Rocky Mountains in Colorado - with a stop at Mesa Verde National Park.

Speaking from experience here - childhood and trips with niece/nephew.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 07:38 PM

San Diego.

Beaches are fantastic. Lots of stuff to do with kids. Unbeatable weather. Great restaurants.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 07:38 PM

One thing that comes to mind is Custer State Park in South Dakota. I think it's a fantastic place to take kids. The scenery is beautiful. And there's so much to do in the area. I'd recommend combining it with a day or two in the Badlands.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 10:32 PM

I second the South Dakota suggestion - the whole Black Hills area is wonderful.

We all also had a great time at Niagara Falls and we loved Maui.

A cruise can be fun.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 10:46 PM

Take the kids camping, hiking, fishing, and horseback riding--a real outdoors kind of trip. Campfires and cooking out--how much more could you ask for? How about some place in Montana? It will as much fun for all of you as you are willing to make it. Plus, you'll provide lots of great memories for the kids. Good luck with the planning!
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the great ideas. Looking forward to seeing more!

I forgot to mention to please exclude beaches. The nieces go to the beach every year with their parents and we want to provide them a new experience.

Of all the national amd state parks, which is the best for kids?
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 04:56 AM

Alaska. It truly is an amazing place!
Go flightseeing and glacier hiking, see wildlife up close, see the norhtern lights, etc. There are SO many things to do up there!
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 05:03 AM

Some of our favorite family trips were to Colorado, San Diego and San Francisco.

Do you take over achieving children to different places than you would dumb children? I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. It seemed an odd qualifier when talking about travel...
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Do you take over achieving children to different places than you would dumb children?

I wouldn't call any person (child or adult) dumb. But I think over achievers in school -- and "school" is the operative word -- might enjoy certain kinds of museums and activities requiring longer attention spans, greater reading ability, etc. that they otherwise might not enjoy.

My wife and I are not parents, so we really don't know about that. I mention that the children are over achievers in school if indeed that might be helpful information. If it's not helpful, that's fine too.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 05:56 AM

I would take them to Yellowstone and the Tetons. Have them read about Yellowstone first and then they'll better appreciate the geologic wonders. You can spend some time in Jackson too for a change of pace.

I applaud you for taking an interest in your nieces' lives. We used to take our nieces on trips all the time but now they're high schoolers and way too busy with extra-curricular activities! Enjoy it while it lasts!
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 09:29 AM

NYC. My kids are your nieces ages and we did this trip last spring and the kids loved it. We stayed midtown, across from Carnegie and walked to many locations. The kids were old enough to recognize many sights, and remember what they did see. They had just as much fun in Manahattan as they did at Disney when they were younger, and I felt SO much better spending money in the city. And spend we did!

Old Jun 18th, 2006, 10:12 AM

Here's a vote for Yosemite National Park. Bicycling the park is a wonderful way to see it... I spent a lot of time there with my Aunt's and Uncles and have such fond memories. The beauty of Yosemite is amazing.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 10:23 AM

What about Williamsburg? We spent 2 days doing the colonial part and we went to Virginia Beach for a day and then did Water Country for a day. The colonial part is quite interesting and there is a lot to see. Virginia Beach is relaxing. We went last summer and our kids were 7 and 10 at the time. We drove 12 hours straight from Detroit and then 12 back home. I believe we were gone Tues-Sun. We stayed right in the Colonial Williamsburg resort area at the Woodlands. Check them out at www.colonialwilliamsburg.com and see if this would interest your family!
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 12:17 PM

I started to list the national parks I'd recommend, but then realized that I'd list all I have traveled to, so I guess you can't go wrong there. Just about any NPs would work, but some are very crowded during summer months.

Great hiking in most national parks and surrounding areas, but check opening/closing dates, and road opening/closing dates within and around the park, especially with the mountainous parks.

Which area of the country are you traveling from? Flying or driving? If driving, it might be better to try to go somewhere closer to home so you don't have to spend most of your week traveling to/from your destination.

If money is not object, how about taking them to Alaska? Incredible scenery, wildlife, and outdoor activities.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 12:28 PM

BTW, don't sweat the "over achiever statement." I think most of us knew what you meant and realized you were not parents, but just proud of the kids you want to bless with a vacation while also providing an educational opportunity.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Continued thanks to everyone for their replies. This is an interesting thread for lots of reasons.

When starting the thread, my perspective is that my wife and I have seen most of the major national parks. But we don't have children and went on very few vacations when we were children. So we really don't know what will be lasting memories for our nieces without your helpful advice.

Keep the ideas comin'! And thanks again!
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 01:49 PM
trippinkpj

I like the west coast, including the beautiful Oregon coast, Columbia River and Portland. I think bright kids would like the museums, parks and the great Powells Books there. Seattle area/ Puget sound is a great summer pick also.

Old Jun 18th, 2006, 01:51 PM

I think you need to try to get an idea of what the girls would like to do. It may be that if they really have pushed themselves to do the best that they can, they might like to just do something that is very casual, easy-going and relaxing.

Camping maybe just the thing, IF and only IF they are into sleeping outdoors, rustic cooking, etc.

Oh the otherhand, they might have a very good idea of somewhere that they would LOVE to go. (you might want to restrict them as to how far you will take them) They could have even talked about going to a certain place.

You don't say where they are from, but if it's from an area where snow in seldom seen, somewhere like Glacier National Park might be just the thing.
Try to go somewhere that looks a lot different from what they see at home.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 01:56 PM
trippinkpj

California has a couple National Parks that are less populated: http://www.nps.gov/seki/
http://www.nps.gov/lavo/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -