Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best-Type Room to Stay at Hilton Waikoloa on BI?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 06:25 AM
greg

I am planning to take my wife and two children to the Hilton Waikoloa Village on the BI. I would appreciate any recommendations on "room type" to request of anyone who has stayed there recently.

Thank you.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 10:49 AM
mj

While not my favorite hotel, (too big, too busy for me) I will admit to having stayed there twice, once on my honeymoon and recently with my kids. We have stayed in Oceanfront and Partial oceanfront units. We had a deluxe oceanfront unit in the "Palace" bldg back when the resort was a Hyatt. The room was a long way from the ocean and overlooked an area used for big corportate functions- parties and lightshows. We lasted two nights and were moved to a great room in the ocean tower.
This trip we were with our two children, ages 3 and 7, and a babysitter. We headed up to the Hilton for a couple of days of pool and kid time and again had a room in the ocean tower. It was a partial ocean view room, an upgrade from the garden/mtn room we had reserved. The room looked a little tired but had a lovely view but was a long way from the kid's pools.
Rather than look at specific room types (gardenview, mtn view, ocean, etc.) I would consider looking at specific bldgs. The room interiors are very similar in all categories. The location of the three towers can be critical as the resort is huge and the trip to your room can take forever. With kids, I would probably in the future, ask for a room in the Lagoon tower. This building is closest to the largest set of pools, the volleyball court, the dolphin pool, and the shops. The ocean tower would be my second choice but it is a long way from the lobby and really requires a boat or tram trip to get back to the main pools. It does, however, have a great little eating area that it kid-friendly and affordable. Still, I would opt for the lagoon tower and would definitely skip the Palace tower.
And, as much as I prefer a quieter slice of Hawaii, my kids adored the hotel.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 10:43 AM
greg

Note for mj -

Thanks, mj, for the valuable information you provided. Knowing absolutely nothing about the hotel or grounds, your data will be quite useful in booking our room. This is where the kids want to go and your note is certainly a testimonial to the children enjoying this hotel and the amenities it has to offer.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 05:35 PM
Rosina

Greg,
Stay in The Lagoon Tower. Stayed there in August of 2000 with my two boys. The Lagoon Tower is closest to the great pool area and it overlooks the Dolphin Lagoon. If you children want to swim with the dolphins you have to book this 2 months in advance. It is a great experience. Your family will absolutely love this hotel. There is another lagoon with all water sports. Have a great time.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 06:55 PM
john

Do half the rooms in the Ocean Tower face each other? Looks like 3 adjoined circular structures. Are there rooms facing the inside as well as the outside ocean views?

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 06:40 PM
mj

John,
All of the rooms in the Ocean Tower face outward. The interior space has an adult pool and gardens.