Best time to go to Colorado

Old Nov 19th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best time to go to Colorado

When is the best time to go to the San Juan mountains when there will still be snow on the tops of the higher mountains and wildflowers blooming? WE have been in the fall and it was beautiful but would like to see them in a different season.
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 07:51 PM

janell,

The best wildflower season is around the second week of August. Unfortunatley that would be when the least amount of snow is on the peaks.

Going any earlier than June would almost guarantee that you would be limited in the places you could go, especially if you want to hike or jeep. If we have a good snow year there should be more snow around anytime since we hav been in a 5 year drought.

It's hard to see it all in any one month.

BeanMan
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 08:22 PM

We were there once in mid-June. I'm sure it's one of the most beautiful spots in the world no matter when you go. But one of the things that struck me were all of the waterfalls we saw as a result of the snow melting on top of the mountains.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 06:18 AM

We were in the San Juans during 4th of July week last year, and there were quite a few wildflowers. There was also a surprising amount of snow, but that may not be the case next year. It's hard to guess, but my suggestion would be to check out the Crested Butte Wildflower Festival. This festival happens every year, so they have a good idea of when the peak will be. Crested Butte (the "Wildflower Capital of Colorado") is a little north of the San Juans, but close enough you could use their dates as a guide. It would also be a good place to include if your plans are flexible. Next summer's Wildflower Festival is July 11-17.

www.crestedbuttewildflowerfestival.com

The drive from Ouray to Durango will provide fantastic views and lots of opportunity to stop your car and check out the wildflowers for yourself. Just remember, there is a pretty hefty fine for picking them! Also take a good camera - I have some incredible pictures of columbines, etc. You can also purchase guidebooks on the wildflowers of Colorado. Have a great trip!
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses, that will help me make my decision. Sounds like there is beautiful scenery most anytime of the year.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 10:38 PM

Great info here.