Search

Best Thai in SFO

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Thai in SFO

I am going in to San Francisco tomorrow night for a business trip and plan to spend Sunday shopping. I'd like to find a GREAT Thai restaurant that I can get to using public transportation. I am staying at the Mark Hopkins.
Thanks, in advance!
Oh... does anyone know a karaoke bar in SFO that is open late Saturday night?
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:34 AM

Then go up California St to Larkin, there is a small place called "Janya", great food. I think you can even walk from Hopkins along the cable car line.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:42 AM

The Mint on upper Market (by the Castro) has GREAT karaoke!!! There is also the Silver Cloud on Lombard in the Marina...I have never been to the Silver Cloud but it should be fine.

Can't help you with Thai food--I eat at a local dive in my neighborhood.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:50 AM
SAB

Are you willing to venture out of downtown? If so, Thep Phanom on Waller at Fillmore. You could take the N Judah to Church and Fillmore and walk over two blocks or take the 6 or 7 up Market/Haight to Fillmore and walk down one block. Sorry don't know your age, so forgive me if this doesn't apply but the lower Haight around Fillmore is also popular stomping ground for young urban arty types.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Instead of urban and arty I'm sort of techie and dorky but I still get around.
I live in Texas... to me "downtown" is the entire city of San Francisco. To locals, is downtown a specific area of, uh, downtown?
Kika, is the karaoke every night?
I'll check for a website...
Thanks for the help, all!
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 12:40 PM

I always go to Manora's Thai Cuisine on Folsom Street. Good service, good food, pretty reasonable.

http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/profile/868273
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 12:40 PM
SAB

For me downtown is an area roughly bounded by Van Ness, California and Mission, give or take a block. It includes the Tenderloin, Union Square, the Financial district and Moscone Center. If you looked at an overhead view of SF it would be the area where most of the tall buildings are located (well as tall as one can have in an earthquake prone city). BTW techy/dorkie is a popular group here and they mix in with urban/arty.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 01:06 PM

Another vote for Thep Phenom. And India Oven next door is no slough either. It's quite easy to get there from where you'll be staying. There's actually a great hole in the wall much closer to where you are, alas, I never got the name of the place.

Can't help you on the Karaoake, it's against my personal convictions . But since I usally agree with Kika and SAB on SF stuff, I'd say their recommendations are likely to be just fine.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 01:42 PM

www.themint.net. I just checked it out and it has karaoke daily starting at 1PM until closing.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 02:04 PM
SAB

Hey Tex--I don't do karaoke but the Mint is in the same general neighborhood as Thep Phanom (about 6 blocks apart I guesstimate). In the interest of giving you full info. which hopefully does not matter to you, the crowd is mixed gay/straight, tending to be more straight on weekends. Have a great weekend in SF.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Wow, what great info! Thanks so much.
Any additional comments are appreciated.
Being in the travel industry, I think 90% of my friends are gay... come to think of it I am pretty butch myself.
Hmmmm... I have really created a great image of myself, huh? A butch techie that sings karaoke. arghhh...
Anyway, I can't wait to hit the stores!
Has anyone been to the Lush store? I shop there often but have not had the chance to stop in since it opened!

Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 02:34 PM

Lush is on Powell, and it smells great Small place, don't miss it.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 03:17 PM

Years ago a Thai friend recommended Khan Toke on Geary. Haven't been there for awhile, maybe someone else can comment?

I recall sitting cross legged on the floor in my socks and - boy! - was that food hot! spicy hot!

"A butch techie that sings karaoke" - you're coming to the right city! Just try not to be too self-conscious. People in San Francisco are ULTRA tolerant, but I would suggest doing some practice singing in the shower before you come!

Have a great time!