Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best spots for coctails and sunsets in Oahu and Maui?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 07:06 AM
Laura

My husband and I are traveling to Oahu & Maui at the end of the month. I think I've got dinner reso's pretty well planned, but now I'm looking for suggestions for drinks and viewing the sunset before dinner -- on both islands. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 07:19 AM
Sarah

You really don't need sedation when you are there if anything the alcohol raises your body temperature. I find this uncomfortable.BUT BUT BUT I know what you are talking about. I like the Halekulani, they have old fashion Hawaiian tourist music, slow and smooth. I also love the Sheraton Moana Banyan area although not as sedate as Halekulani. There is a pretty pink patio in front of the Royal Hawaiian. I would go there for the buffet breakfast if you can pack away that sort of thing. Good food there is just a lot of it. But But But locals prefer Halekulani breakfast buffet again. In any event it is nice to sit right on the beach at Royal Hawaiian. You want to be able to look ewa direction (west Waikiki) in the distance to catch that illusive green flash. I HAVE YET TO SEE!!! ENJOY!

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 08:18 AM
Laura

Sarah ... thanks for the info. We'll actually be staying at the Royal Hawaiian. What is the elusive green flash you speak of? Also, and thoughts along the same lines for Maui?

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 08:40 AM
Sarah

I lived on Oahu for three years and I go back every year. Everyone tells you that a second or so before the sun sets it gives off a green flash. I am always standing around people saying, "did you see it, did you see it!!!" Ugh!!! I must be colored blind or this is tourist hoax.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 09:49 AM
Debbie

We enjoyed the view, atmosphere and good service at the Barefoot Bar at the Hula Grill on Kaanapali Beach. We didn't eat there but the food we saw looked really good too.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 01:51 PM
Melissa

The Sheraton Waikiki or the Sheraton Moana Surfrider are great at sunset. On Oahu: Try the Moana Sands at the Moana, one of my favorite cocktails!

The green flash is seen at sunset the very second the sun "hits" the water. So your eyes have to be open and watching at that very second, or you miss it!

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 04:09 PM
Steve

first the "green flash". its not when the sun first hit the water,,but at the instant in sinks below the horizon,,when things are just right, and I'm not exactly sure what those conditions are,,but sometimes you can see a green flash...never seen it myself, but have seen pictures of it.
As for catching the sunset,,on maiu, go into Lahaina over behind the Pioneer Inn,,get behind the whaling ship anchored in the harbor and catch the sun going down behind the masts,,,a fantastic photo op..the amber glow reflecting off all the store fronts on Front street is also a kodak moment for sure,,A couple other choices would be the upper floor of Cheeseburger in Paradise, or the top floor at Longi's, both have great drinks
Alooooooooohaaaaaa

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 04:18 PM
AllySD

Laura: I agree with Debbie, don't miss the Hula Grill in Maui! Also try Leilani's, which is next door. They are both right on the water and you can't beat the view. Kimo's in Lahaina has a deck over the water and the view is fantastic from there as well. Have a great time! I can't wait to go back!

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 11:40 PM
Melissa

Ack. Steve, you're right! I MEANT to say what you said but it came out wrong. I must have been thinking of all that alcohol at sunset. hee hee

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 01:38 AM
N. R.

The Hanohano Room at the Sheraton is supposed to have one of the best views. It is where the Sheraton Waikiki webcam is located:
http://hawaiilive.sheratonhawaii.com/sw-cam.cfm

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 03:06 PM
Steve

Melissa> that will do it for sure *G*
all this talk of Maui,LETS GO!!!!
I'll even buy you a drink..*w*

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 12:36 PM
dave

I highly recommend House without a Key at the Halekulani. We were there for sunset three weeks ago. I remember it well. Great live music and beautiful Hula dancing. The food is also wonderful and fairly priced. I had fettucine with smoked salmon, scallops and shrimp in an alfredo sauce for only $15.95, it was fantastic. The drinks are also very good, especially the Mai Tai's. We also had dinner at the Hano Hano room and I would recommend drinks at the bar however the restraunt is also fabulous. The chicken with morel mushroom sauce is absolutely wonderful. The views on both sides of the restraunt are great. There was a harpist there when we visited and she was also wonderful.

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 04:36 PM
Bob Fox

Laura, I agree with poster Dave. House without a Key for drinks. Would strongly suggest dinner for a romantic sunset at 'Orchids' with in the same hotel. Not to be missed!

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 04:49 PM
Laura

My thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I'm sure we'll have a number of wonderful sunsets (and green flashes) during our stay.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 05:39 AM
Lynn

One final word about the green flash--Steve was correct. I looked it up in my Frommer's Hawaii 2001 book (sorry, Fodor's!) and it defines "green flash" this way:

"The Green Flash is a common sight in Hawaii at sunset. As the last sliver of sun sinks into the ocean, the atmosphere works like a prism and bends the last rays of light, scattering the blue end of the spectrum, so that just for a second you see an emerald green 'flash.'"

My husband and I will be watching for the flash when we're in Maui in September!

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 08:28 AM
Richard

Steve was obnoxious, Sarah and Melissa introduced the idea of the green flash. Noone with college level reading skills read Melissa's entry to suggest that the sun literally hits the water. And Melissa you needn't apologize to an obvious ------. Only a travel board I know but take your arrogance down a notch or two Steve.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 06:43 AM
Lynn

Richard, I saw absolutely nothing obnoxious or arrogant in Steve's post. For heaven's sake, cool your jets; this is an optical effect we're talking about here, not world peace--there's no need to get so upset and hostile. Take a Valium and calm down!