Best small Vermont town

Search

Best small Vermont town

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 05:06 PM
mike

Best small Vermont town

Hello,
Was wondering which town you would consider. Married with no kids mid 30's. Looking for nice small town to settle down and possibly raise a family. Old world charm a plus. Am not seeking employment, financially secure. Does not need to meet any type of criteria: jobs, urban area, close to freeway, and so on. Was wondering what you would pick. thank you.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 07:05 PM
Marie

Mike, I think you might want to check Middlebury out. Small college town - charming. There are many more but the first one that comes to my mind is Middlebury.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 07:20 PM
bm

I agree with Marie-Middlebury is a great town. It's got a wonderful college, beautiful scenery, a local ski area, and is a half hour or so south of the Burlington area. I believe Middlebury's population is around 7,000.
In central Vermont, Waitsfield is nice. It's located a few miles from Sugarbush and Mad River Glen Ski Areas-Waitsfield feels a little touristy due to the ski resorts, but it's not as built up or "cutesy" as it's fellow ski/tourist towns (Manchester, Stowe, Woodstock for example).
In Northeastern Vermont, Danville is a great little town. It's got a real sense of community, a great town fair, and beautiful views. It's located a few miles from St. Johnsbury/Lyndonville (pop 15,000ish combined), an hour and a half from Burlington, and an hour and a half or so to the Mount Washington Valley of NH. Peacham, located just south of Danville, would be another suggestion.
In Southern Vermont, I like Arlington. It's located 1/2 way between Bennington and Manchester.
Definately plan a trip to visit before making any decisions. Stop in the local general stores and talk with the locals who'll tell you like it is to live in their town! Good luck!

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 11:06 PM
vtdreams

When I was condsidering a similar move I found the vermont residents who responded to the message boards on the following sites to be very helpful.
www.virtualvermont.com
www.ruralvermont.com
Also start reading the local newspapers (on the internet) to get a feel for a place, its people and their views.Location is vital in vermont - many areas have a high second home population and so prices are higher and the sense of community is lower. In general you money may go further (Therefore get a more substantial property and land) if you look further north in less "touristy" areas.
If you don't mind looking further north try
www.nekingdom.com
www.snowkingdom.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 11:41 PM
mike

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I have been through the Burlington, Montpelier area before. My mom actually graduated from the New England Culinary Institute there. Will definately check out the websites. If anyone has any other suggestions please post them. Once again thank you.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 03:12 AM
bm

A previous poster's suggestions of reading the local papers is a good one. Here are a few:
www.caledonian-record.com (St. Johnsbury area)
www.burlingtonfreepress.com
www.benningtonbanner.com
The Rutland papar is called the Rutland Herald and the Barre/Montpelier paper is the Times Argus. Sorry, don't know the URLs off the top of my head!

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 03:35 AM
Tony Hughes

Bennington did it for me.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 04:12 AM
Beth

Woodstock, Vermont is picture perfect. The surrounding area (So Woodstock, Brownsville, etc.) is also lovely.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 05:17 PM
Donna F

If you are considering having children, then I would suggest you call the Cooperative Extension Office in each county to see which towns/areas have the best 4-H programs. We think 4-H is a terrific program but not every county has the same programs. I have heard, for example, that Merrimack County in NH has one of the best working steer programs in the country. Although a lot of towns may have a local club, the animal and specialty programs are usually operated at the county level. For yourself , looks into towns that suit your interests. Fletcher Farm in Ludlow and The Country Owl in Brandon have summer workshops in Early American Decoration and other crafts. Maybe you'd prefer to be near some good trout streams. I think it would be a very good idea for you to subscribe to some local newspapers to see what is going on as another suggested. Last Sunday for example, we attended a fiddlers picnic and enjoyed listening to the music in the shade of some wonderful maple trees. I don't think there were more than 100 people there. The fiddlers ranged in age from about 12 to mid-70s. There was an open invitation for anyone to join in. And don't forget, it's nice to have a town with year round activities, not just during the tourist season. Good luck to you.

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 06:39 AM
tim

woodstock, vt

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 08:06 PM
topsy

To the top