Best sights to see in D.C.?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2003, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling to D.C. in March. We will only be there for 2 nights and I want to see the best possible sights in that time frame. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know...Thanks!
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 01:10 PM

I'd start at The Mall and just go museum hopping. The Natural History Museum, American History Museum, National Portrait Gallery, and Air and Space Museum are all located within walking distance of each other. You can dash in and out of each place or decide which area you might be more interested in and stay there for awhile. I have been to DC 7 times and can still find new things to see in these places.

I'd save monuments like the Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Memorial, Jefferson, etc for night.

Whatever you do, realize that 2 nights is never enough for DC but enjoy the time you do have there.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 04:11 PM

My daughter and I recently spent two night in D.C and here's what we were able to squeeze in using only the Metro/Subway:

Day 1 (only had a half day in city)
1. White House (outside only)
2. Smithsonian (Natural History, Imax movie, & Space Museum)
3. Ford's Theater

Day 2
1. Capital (outside only)
2. Walked the entire length of mall
3. Went up the Washington Monument
4. Lincoln Memorial
5. Vietnam Memorial
6. Spy Museum (pretty cool!)
7. Went to the National Christmas tree across from the white house that night
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 04:41 AM

As suggested save the monuments for night time, there is good lighting, great views, and I have always felt safe. At the Vietnam Memorial there is usually a Park Service Range out a night if you have any questions.

Night visit:
Start at one end and begin with Lincoln and Vietnam Wall are close, the Jefferson is a bit of a walk. Outside of White House, then Washington Monument, walk toward the Capital Building. Head toward Union Station, there a restaurants and a bar inside.

Day time:
Air and Space Museum
American History Museum
National Archives Museum
Arlington Cemetery

The Spy Museum is new and got rave reviews.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 06:54 AM

The Old Postal Pavilion (Federal Triangle Metro Stop) has a clock tower with free tours .. nice view of DC if you can't get into the Washington Monument. The building has an interesting history, and a food court, should you want a bite to eat.

The Building Museum ($5 suggested donation)(Judiciary Square stop) often has some good exhibits and I liked the building tour (about 45 minutes)

Evenings: don't miss the FDR Memorial. If you're in good shape with good weather, go to Arlington Metro stop, walk to Lincoln, Vietnam, Korean Memorials, then FDR, Jefferson, & continue to Washington Monument at night. Have a good trip.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 07:52 AM
Kal

Alooohaaa,
Only 2 days? Hope you have a downtown hotel!
If you have good weather on your March visit, you may want to watch a sunset from the steps of the Lincoln Monument looking back over the Cap Mall.

One overlooked monument we always like seeing (especially since we usually go in July-a hot month!) is the Einstein monument located inside a little grove of trees at the corner of 21st and Constitution, near the VNam/Lincoln End of the Mall.

While the VNam memorial is awesome at night,(as is the Korean War Memorial) you have to see it during the day so you can see and read all of the items left by family, friends, buddies for their fallen comrades. Heart wrenching. Mrs Kal and I can't walk thru it together and we've been there over 10 times. Ditto the Holocaust Museum.

Can't wait to get back to see the Spy Museum as mentioned above.
Also as mentioned above, the view from the Old Post Office Tower is probably better than the one from the Washington Mon because your view includes the Wash/Mon.
If you do find the time (maybe take one of ther many tour bus operations?) go over to the Arlington Natl Cemetary and take it's tour. The Changing of the Guard at The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is pretty emotional for some.
The view from the Custus-Lee mansion is also pretty spectacular.
OK...I'm ready to go back.
Kal
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 11:43 AM

They've cut back a lot of the trees at Einstein, so it's not quite so private and pleasant any more. But now it's easy to see from Constitution Ave.

Have heard good reports on the Spy Museum, but it can take a huge effort to get in. Most people I've talked to have waited in line for at least 2 hours. I think you can buy some sort of reserved tickets through their website or by calling.

My must-sees: Lincoln Memorial (at night--sit at the back for awhile and watch the river); Einstein; FDR Memorial (also at night); Jefferson (night or day); American History museum; Sunday brunch at Nathan's; a drink on the roof of the Hotel Washington; Building Museum; Arlington National Cemetery; Roosevelt Island.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 03:55 PM

I am going to throw out some other possibilities. If you are staying in Dupont Circle visit the Phillips Collection. One of the most powerful experiences I had in DC was the Holocaust Museum. It is a one day project in itself. Have a drink at the Tabard. It is in Dupont Circle and billed as a watering hole for the progressives in Washington It should be easy to get a stool. It's a pretty interesting place to sit and listen to what folks have to say. It's one of the only bars I've ever been in that plays NPR until 5 pm then moves into some very good jazz. If the monuments are what you want to see I would agree with those who mention the Lincoln and the Jefferson as well as the Vietnam Wall. I really liked DC alot especially DUpont CIrcle and Adams-Morgan.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 05:29 PM

Old Glory flying over the Capitol.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 05:38 PM

My vote is for Arlington Cemetery, the National Cathedral, and Mount Vernon.