Best Route to Buffalo/Niagara Falls from Washington DC/Baltimore Area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know there is mapquest, but i ve used several different directions and gotten 3 different routes that they say is the fastest. I have also gotten estimates ranging from 6.5 to 9 hours for the drive. Can somebody that has driven these roads tell me what route is the fastest and how long the drive is? The three routes from Baltimore/Washington to Buffalo/Niagara Falls are:

1) I-70 to I-76 to I-79 north to Erie to I-90 East to Buffalo, then I-190 north to Niagara Falls. This would of course the all-interstate option, but is much more distance than the other routes.

2) I-70 to I-99 north to US 322 to I-80 west to US 219 north to Buffalo to I-190 north to Niagara Falls. This is the shortest distance route,but is much more rural.

3) I-695 to I-83 north to Harrisburg,PA to US 22/US322 north to US 15 north through Williamsburg, PA to Corning, PA to I-86 west to I-390 north to I-90 west to Buffalo to I-290 north to I-190 north to Niagara Falls.

Which of these routes is the fastest and how long is the drive?

Thanks-
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 06:36 PM

Depending on where in the DC area you are, the drive will take around 7 hours (perhaps a little longer if you are on the VA side). I've driven it about a hundred times when I lived in Alexandria and would drive to see my parents in Buffalo. The 219 route the best and fastest route. DON'T take option #1. It takes you many miles out of your way and the PA turnpike is a nightmare (IMO).

You can shave a few minutes off by taking the 153 off the I-80. It'll run you into the 219. Basically you're on the I-80 for one stop.

Let me know if you need any info on Niagara Falls... Good luck!
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 06:47 PM

Assuming that this drive is during the winter - keep in mind that the closer you get to Lake Erie on the lower counties that are adjacent to PA the more snow potential.

You might want to consider Rte 16 rather than Rte 219.

Previous poster might have some insight on that route.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

I actually live up closer to Baltimore making the drive a little shorter i guess than from DC. Im counting on 7.5 hours. I want to take the 219 route, but im just worried about the mountain roads taking a long time. I am looking for the fastest way not the most pleasant way. But, it is sure a lot less milage than taking the PA turnpike all the way to I-79 to Erie then I-90 to Buffalo.
Kcapuani-
Give me the exact way you go. There are a lot of short cuts that can be taking, but im not what ones are mountainous or not and wheather or not it sheds off time. How mountainous are these roads? Im worried its going to take a long time.

Buckeye Bud-
Where is route 16? And im going in summer so snow won't be an issue.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 04:33 AM

>> Where is route 16? <<

About halfway between Cuba and Olean. Try the Google Maps option to drag the route to different roads.

The Rte 219 version takes you around / over some big hills (not mountains). Great drive if you have a nice ride. You can say hello to my G'pa as you go through Springville.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 05:22 AM

Option 3 by far is the nicest route but in winter time any and all of these routes can be a nightmare what with lake effect snow coming in from Lake Erie and Ontario.
It is for the most part a limited access route with the small exception of Rt 15 in NY state just over the PA state line.
From Baltimore its more like 7 hours.
If you are not keen on winter driving than I would stick to the main roads and not take any shortcuts thru the mountains or in western NY as they may be snow covered.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 06:15 AM

We just drove back from Rochester to Beltsville. Rt. 15 is now 4-lane limited access highway, as Joethekay said, from just north of the NY State border down to the Selinsgrove area. However, north of Selinsgrove, they were doing road construction on part of Rt. 15 and that section, normally divided 4 lanes, is now one lane in each direction for maybe 5-10 miles. It may still be under construction this summer. We always take the Rt. 15 option to Rochester, but take a different route to Jamestown, which is southwest of Buffalo. I think going to Buffalo/Niagara Falls, which is as far north as Rochester, I'd take option no. 3. I also hate the PA turnpike, as kcapuani does.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

well, im planning on going to watkins glen after Buffalo/Niagara and the definite way home from Watkins Glen is Route 15 and i kinda don't want to overlap routes like that. So, i kinda want to just stick with options 1 and 2 if possible unless Option 3 is a lot shorter. Winter weather is not going to be an issue as im planning this trip for summer. If you think i can get up to Niagara Falls in 7.5 to 8 hours going the Route 219 route (Option 2), this is probably what im going to opt for. It puts you on the PA Turnpike but its only like 15 miles.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 08:23 AM

When are you doing this trip? Don't forget to account for snow if this is a winter trip
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 11:04 AM

OP has mentioned twice in his posts that this is a non-winter trip.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 01:52 PM

Take the 70 to the I-76. Exit the I-76 at Bedford and get on the 99.

From the 99, take the 322 to the I-80. Exit the I-80 the very next stop on the 153. Take that to the 219. Take the 219 to the I-90 to the 190 North.

In some sections, particularly around the NY/PA border, the 219 is a 4 lane highway. Otherwise it is a 2 lane road but there are plenty of places to pass if you get stuck behind someone slow. The speed limit is generally 55 mph except in the towns. If you need a place to stop, Ellicottville is a charming little ski town just north of the PA/NY line.

When we lived in Silver Spring, we'd get to Buffalo in just over 6.5 hrs. From Alexandria, it took 7 hrs. I honestly think you could do it in under 7.5 hours to Niagara Falls.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you- How mountainous are these roads? Especially the 2 lane sections of 219 im worried about. How much farther is Niagara Falls from Buffalo? A half hour? And what is the rush hour like around Buffalo? If i left at about 6 in the morning, do you think afternoon rush hour in Buffalo would be an issue?
Thanks-
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 04:24 AM

>> How mountainous are these roads? Especially the 2 lane sections of 219 im worried about. <<

Think large hills - not mountains. And the road does not go up and over - it is around the base. On 219 from Springville to West Seneca you are at the top of the hill - great views. You can even see d'town Buffalo.

>> How much farther is Niagara Falls from Buffalo? A half hour? <<

30min if all goes to form. There is a toll booth as you cross onto Grand Island - that might add 2-3 min depending on the timing.

>> Do you think afternoon rush hour in Buffalo would be an issue? <<

Rush hour in Buffalo is not like rush hour in Atlanta, Dallas, or Baltimore. Traffic continues to move, but at a reduced rate.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much-
The NY section looks like its pretty straight road from the map. That section from Springville to West Seneca looks like its four lanes, is that right? Also, is there a scenic overlook or anything that you can stop at to see downtown buffalo from that ridge? The section of 219 im worried about being mountainous is the section in PA north of I-80 to the NY boarder. But, as long as its 55 mph most of the way on the 2 lane sections without too many sharp turns i should be fine. Im just worried cuz i took a road through the mountains in west virginia this one time and it was so windy, you could only do 25-35 mph literally! As far as tolls, i have EZ pass, so that should be smooth. Also, I was told the best way around Buffalo was to take I-190 THRU the city rather than I-290 AROUND the city. They said the I-290 adds more miles plus it tends to backup more than the I-190. Is this true?
Thanks-
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 09:10 AM

>> That section from Springville to West Seneca looks like its four lanes, is that right? Also, is there a scenic overlook or anything that you can stop at to see downtown buffalo from that ridge? <<

A. Correct - 4 lanes.
B. No overlook. It's not like downtown Buffalo resembles NYC or SF.

I would say 219 is not like crossing the Apps in WV. Again, think big hills.

The 190 through d'town is shorter and save some time, but it runs along the Niagara River and you might have to "slow down".
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks-
But, the I-190 is the best way through Buffalo, right?
Thanks again-
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 03:58 PM

I really don't think there is much of a time difference whether you take the 190 or the 290. If you are leaving Baltimore at 6:00 a.m. you'll be in Buffalo long before rush hour, which isn't much of a rush hour. There isn't much traffic in the area, usually you'll find a slow down only due to a traffic accident or weather related but since you are travelling in the summer you won't have to worry about weather. Niagara Falls is about 1/2 hour away from Buffalo but it could take longer if there are delays at the border. There are no "mountainous roads" and you should have no problem on the 219.

By the way, it's a "Buffalo thing" that we precede all of the route numbers with "the".
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks- I ve seen to caught on to the Buffalo draw. We preceed the road with the sometimes here in Baltimore. For those who have drived the route through Pennsylvania. I was messing with the map software and i came accross a few small shortcuts in PA. The First one is instead of taking I-99 all the way to US 322 in Port Matilda, get off on SR 350 at Bald Eagle and take it 15 miles to US 322 in Philipsburg. This cuts off 10 miles. IS this a good shortcut? This is the main shortcut im thinking of. The other one is after you get off I-80 onto SR 153, instead of going straight to US 219 , make a right onto SR 255 in Penfield and take it north through St. Marys and hook up with US 219 south of Johnsonburg. This only cuts off 2 miles, so i don't think its worth it. But, taking SR 153 from I-80 to US 219 looks like its a good shortcut.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 07:36 PM

I used to drive from State College to Buffalo and I don't remember taking the shortcut through St. Mary's. I think you are going to be on smaller roads - I would just aim straight for 219.

As for the shortcut taking 350 ? Umm, I don't know that road, but I know that area and it can be very hilly. Remember 99 will move at a very different speed than local roads. My dad knows all the roads around there - I'll try and ask him (he lives in State College and works with local forests, so knows many of the small roads)
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks you- I probably won't take the shortcut through St. Mary's. It only cuts off like a mile or two and its a smaller road so its not worth it. The 350 route however does cut off like 10 miles+. Its only 14 miles on that road to US 322. If you look at the map, im going to be coming north I-99 from Bedford in the south. I-99 kinda heads north east and at Route 350 it turns more east farther out of the way. I want to head northwest. So, by taking I-99 directly to US 322 it takes me farther east than i want to go. So, unless Route 350 from I-99 to US 322 is a slow moving road, its a shortcut i want to take.
Thanks again-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -