Best Ritz Carlton in Florida?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Stacy

Naples? Key Biscayne? Amelia Island?

My finace and I would like to plan a small "tropical" wedding at a beautiful beachfront hotel in Florida. For various reasons, we are focusing on the Ritz in Amelia, Naples or Key Biscayne. However, we have not been to these locations and would appreciate your feedback on these hotels. Thank you!

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 10:28 AM
OliveOyl

I haven't been to the one in Key Biscayne, so can't compare that. The Naples RC is still considered one of their top hotels, and though it is beautiful, mangroves separate it from it's beach. I don't know if that would put a damper on your plans.

I think the Naples beach is far prettier than the one at Amelia Island, and the property the better of the two as well, but we certainly enjoyed our stay at the RC in Amelia. The hotel is just not *as* elegant, and the beach difficult to get around between the deep loose sand and the shells.

What time of year are you having the wedding? Amelia Island is a late spring, summer and early fall destination if you are interested in good beach weather.

Hopefully someone with positive experience at the Key Biscayne property can come along and solve this lovely dilemma you have!! LOL

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Stacy

Thanks for the information! We are thinking of a late April/early May wedding. We would like to spend most of the celebration outdoors, so the scenery is important. Your comparison of the two beaches and the issue of the mangroves at Naples was very helpful. Do any other hotels come to your mind as a good location?

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 01:06 PM
OliveOyl

I wouldn't let the mangroves stop you. They aren't deep and are pretty in their own right, but I thought you should know they are there. Law says mangroves can't be cut by any more than 1/3 at a time, and certainly not removed, so all newer construction on the west coast will have them.

Another thought for the FL west coast is the Don CeSar on St Pete Beach. It is a picturesque old 20's era hotel, a pink confection on a beautiful stretch of beach. The setting is gorgeous and the hotel probably the best in the St Pete/Clearwater area, but the Don is not and never will be a Ritz Carlton! You won't have the same level of service and the interior wouldn't compare with RC Naples, but the back of the hotel, pool area and beach make a beautiful backdrop for a wedding and service level is above average. Take a look at this website and see what you think: http://www.doncesar.com/ The picture in their wedding section was taken at the back of the hotel.

I'm still curious to hear what people have to say about the RC Key Biscayne.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 06:35 PM
kirsten

We went to the RC in Key Biscayne last may and found it to be absolutely fantastic. It is a beautiful beachfront location with great private areas. There was a wedding while we were visiting (watched the preparations from our balcony), and it was very impressive. Hope this helps.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 07:58 AM
Melinda

The rose gardens at the Naples Ritz Carlton are so pretty but the beach there is not what you are wanting I am afraid. The Don Cesar popped into my mind immediately and then I read the above poster thought the same thing. Perfect wedding spot as that stretch of beach is so pretty and the Don makes a great backdrop.