Reload this Page >

Best restaurants in NYC

Search

Best restaurants in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 1999, 11:30 AM
K.M.R.

Best restaurants in NYC

My Mom & I are going to New York City in about a week and a half mainly to see several Broadway shows. I would also like to indulge myself in some of the great food the City has to offer. What restaurants would you recommend we try? If you know, please include any requirements on dress and if reservations are necessary. Thanks

Old Mar 3rd, 1999, 01:04 PM
David

try Rain, a terrific Thai rest (one on the west side and one on the east side. My daughter Betsy works on the east side one ... Rain gets great reviews.

Old Mar 3rd, 1999, 02:06 PM
Neal Sanders

What's your budget? What kind of food would you enjoy? New York City is indeed home to some of the best food in the world. Because budget and cuisine decisions need to predominate, here's an idea: go to MSN's Sidewalk.com for New York, which has excellent reviews of restaurants. Pick a price range, part of town, and browse. The reviews are candid and usually on target.

Another point: most Brodway curtains are at 8 p.m. So, you're either looking for restaurants that have pre-theatre seatings or ones that serve late (most shows get out between 10 p.m. and 10:30). Sidewalk will indicate which have those hours.

Old Mar 4th, 1999, 04:49 PM
Rob

Just had a great meal at Orso's (46th St. between 8th & 9th, very close to theatres) last Tuesday. Dinners run $15 - $20 a plate. Italian cuisine, good food & service. Also, try Gramercy Tavern in the Flatiron district (more expensive though) - reservations required and neat casual attire will suffice at both.

Old Mar 4th, 1999, 05:55 PM
Sharon

I would pick a restaurant that is beautiful as well as interesting: Tavern on the Green. Some might write that is too touristy, but I don't think so. It is highly theatrical and memorable. Get a table in the Crystal room...it is lovely day or night. Another wonderful french restaurant which has been there for years is Cafe des Artistes, which is notable for food and decor and the scene of many movies. My favorite french restaurant is La Caravelle. It is near the theatre district. Plenty of old New York luxe there, bring big $ however. I also love LaGrenouille, but I am not sure that it is even there anymore. New York is a restaurant of the moment city and you never know. I think the haute restaurant Le Bernardin is kaputz recently.

Old Mar 5th, 1999, 03:09 AM
Jordan

Budget? Ethnic preference, i.e. Spanish, Italian, French, etc.? preferred neighborhood? style, i.e. stuffy, old New York, or trendy and hip?
No one can really help you without knowing a little more than you've given.

New York has an amazing amount of New Yorkers and it's silly to offer our favorites without knowing.

For example, if your budget is $100.00, I say go to Nobu Next Door or the Odeon, but that's downtown...

J